(Topic ID: 268343)

Chicago Coin Riviera - entire machine blinking

By Thekeyexchange

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Basic question - is it normal (gut says no) for the entire machine to flash when flippers and bumpers are engaged? Assuming not, what could be the cause?

Video example

As an FYI, the back glass and playfield bumpers are LEDs, the remaining playfield lights are incandescent. The flashing is not specific to either bulb type - it happens to the whole machine. Also, in case it's a fuse-related thing, the 15 amp 30v fuse has been recently replaced, the 1 amp 'slo blo', 10 amp 115v, and both 10 amp 6v fuses are the ones that came with the machine (i.e., I don't know how old they are).

When playing, it comes across as possibly intentional as if it is adding to the gameplay....but my gut tells me that there is something being strained that I should replace. Your perspectives are appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

I don't see anything overly weird.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I don't see anything overly weird.

The video doesn't do justice to how noticeable it is that the lights are essentially turning off/flashing when the bumpers and flippers are activated. You can see the flicker a little bit in the video, but to the naked eye it's much more noticeable. I adjusted the YouTube video to HD playback and it was a bit easier to see when it happens. Again, this isn't negatively affecting my gameplay, I'm just curious if it points to an issue that I could fix.

#4 3 years ago

Why don't you try replacing the LEDs with regular bulbs? Different draws on current might explain something.

#5 3 years ago

I can see the dimming, but it only happens when certain playfield features are activated. There is a higher degree of dimming when the pop bumpers and flippers are activated, and less dimming when the center bonus whole is activated. I don't see any dimming for the slingshots, rollovers and side bumpers. It might be related to some switches at the beginning of the power circuit for these playfield features. Check the following switches to see if they are clean and adjusted properly:

#2 start relay switch - white wire and grey/white wire
Game over relay switch - grey/white wire and grey/red wire
Tilt relay switch (2 switches) - grey/red wire and grey wire

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Why don't you try replacing the LEDs with regular bulbs? Different draws on current might explain something.

I should have clarified that the blinking occurred when I got the machine initially (with all incandescent bulbs).

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

I can see the dimming, but it only happens when certain playfield features are activated. There is a higher degree of dimming when the pop bumpers and flippers are activated, and less dimming when the center bonus whole is activated. I don't see any dimming for the slingshots, rollovers and side bumpers. It might be related to some switches at the beginning of the power circuit for these playfield features. Check the following switches to see if they are clean and adjusted properly:
#2 start relay switch - white wire and grey/white wire
Game over relay switch - grey/white wire and grey/red wire
Tilt relay switch (2 switches) - grey/red wire and grey wire

Thank you...I'll start hunting down these relays and see what I find!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-riviera-entire-machine-blinking?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.