(Topic ID: 278823)

Chicago Coin Olympic: Continuous game reset help!

By FlippinDC

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinballAir
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

olympicspb (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
5925FC0F-F017-4A27-AD1B-72B584AB5994 (resized).jpeg
E9AAD058-4554-41F0-929C-0722CCBF9D4D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello!
I just purchased a Chicago Coin Olympic model 452 pinball machine and am looking to repair it to give to my father for his birthday. I the rubber bands have deteriorated and need replacing, however, there is a more pressing mechanical issue which needs to be addressed and I don’t know where to start!! It sounds like the machine is stuck resetting- the bell goes off, the lights flash, but the flippers don’t move when you hit the buttons. I have the original parts catalog which includes wiring diagrams- but I need some guidance on what/where the problem might be so that I can address it. Any insight you could give me on this machine would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!
I’ll try and get the moderators to move this to the EM tech, you’ll get the most help there. Meanwhile you may find information about the ‘score motor continuously running’ helpful: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Chicago_Coin_Score_Motor_2

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I’ll try and get the moderators to move this to the EM tech, you’ll get the most help there

Excellent suggestion - Done!

#4 3 years ago

Are all the score reels at zero?

#5 3 years ago

Have you manually actuated the plungers for all of the steppers and score reels to ensure they move without binding/sluggishness?

#6 3 years ago
#7 3 years ago

PinballAir not quite. See pictures. Player 1’s reel is slightly out of alignment. I have no idea if this reel is important or not (or really what it goes to) but the 3rd picture is another reel.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

jeffc negative, I have not done that. I am still stuck on making heads or tails of the wiring diagrams which came in the original parts catalog which came with the machine.

#9 3 years ago

Skip the paperwork for now and start visually inspecting the stepper units in the game to verify they can move freely.

Such as:

#10 3 years ago

Your first photo is a score reel. The one out of position is the hundreds. With the machine unplugged, remove the back cover to access them.
jeffc ’s video is great. Here are a couple photos from my Pinball EM which should be a very similar design.
My score reels have a latch at the bottom. They slide out towards me. Then I can manipulate the plastic piece next to the relay and allow the plastic number wheel to turn.

If your machine does not look similar then post a photo and let’s figure it out.

5925FC0F-F017-4A27-AD1B-72B584AB5994 (resized).jpeg5925FC0F-F017-4A27-AD1B-72B584AB5994 (resized).jpegE9AAD058-4554-41F0-929C-0722CCBF9D4D (resized).jpegE9AAD058-4554-41F0-929C-0722CCBF9D4D (resized).jpeg

#11 3 years ago

YeOldPinPlayer i tried but this happened

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

Though it does appear that the plate is not seated flush as the rest are. Can I just use something to push it down into place or is that a big no no

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#13 3 years ago

jeffc I have located the stepper units!! Are they all supposed to latch or do some and not others?
Also, I’m guessing this fuse needs replacing?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippinDC:

jeffc I have located the stepper units!! Are they all supposed to latch or do some and not others?

Yay! Did you push in their coil plungers by hand to see if they move without binding/sticking?

Report your findings.

The stepper with only 1 coil should simply increment one step/tooth at a time. Steppers with 2 coils will increment via one coil and either decrement 1 step with the other coil or completely reset to zero position with the other coil.

How are yours behaving when manipulating the coil plungers by hand? In time we see if the machine can operate them as intended...

I see the stepper units seem to have their labels still. Use those names when describing your success/issues with your units.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippinDC:

Also, I’m guessing this fuse needs replacing

Let’s not guess - it could be fine. If you have a multi meter you should pull the fuse out and check it for continuity. Then you’d know.

If it looks visibly blown, then it’s bad. If it “looks good”, that doesn’t really tell us that it is indeed good.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Yay! Did you push in their coil plungers by hand to see if they move without binding/sticking?
>yes, I activated them as you showed in your video and all components moved

Report your findings.
The stepper with only 1 coil should simply increment one step/tooth at a time.
>I located only one like this, labeled ‘00-90 Unit’; it functions as you described ✔️

Steppers with 2 coils will increment via one coil and either decrement 1 step with the other coil or completely reset to zero position with the other coil.
How are yours behaving when manipulating the coil plungers by hand? In time we see if the machine can operate them as intended...
> There are (3) units with 2 coils:
- ‘Coin Unit’: steps you by (1) when manually set, resets when plunger is depressed. ✔️
- ‘Player Control Unit’:

- ‘Credit Unit’:

The mechanisms seem to be functioning however the reel isn’t advancing/resetting as it should(see video)

Also, my multimeter is on my desk at work- I’ll bring it home tonight and test the fuse.

...and my apologies for my chipped nail polish in the videos. It’s hard to keep them looking nice when digging in the back of old machines! Lol

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippinDC:

the rubber bands have deteriorated and need replacing

I didn’t even notice the chipped nail until you mentioned it.
There are several great suppliers for pinball rubber. Pinball Resource will probably be the most knowledgeable. http://pbresource.com/
Marco Specialties, Pinball Life, Comet Pinball.

You’re unlikely to find a kit with just the specific pieces for Olympics and I don’t see a manual at IPDB.org. If you call Pinball Resource I think you can get an assortment that will have what you need.

#18 3 years ago

I own olympics and got rubbers from pbr.

#19 3 years ago

I realize this pin is a little old. But I am looking for help with this Chicago coin pinball. I had to repair foil traces on the player two full reset stepper unit.
now I need to verify that the wipers were installed correctly on the outer board. any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

olympicspb (resized).jpgolympicspb (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago

is anyone parting out a chicagor coin Olympics pin. I am in need of a player control unit. the one I have has worn metal parts and is no longer functioning properly.
Thank you

#21 3 years ago

What parts are worn?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-olympic-continuous-game-reset-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.