You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

194b2474974978729c05d06c74a4e4ebf5506eff (1) (resized).jpg
6 line break down (resized).jpg
20180514_210201_Film1 (resized).jpg
20180514_210152_Film1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schamattack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello Everyone.

New to this forum and very excited to finally be part of the pinball club. Recently picked up a 1966 Chicago Coin Kicker. Its condition was unknown as the original owner had passed away. I have spent the last few weeks cleaning it up but now that I am finally trying to get it to play I have run into a few snags. I can plug it in and hit the left flipper and she lights up. I put in a dime and the reset relay starts firing and the counter is rotating in the base but it never stops. I cleaned the contacts for the top counters and if I set them at 9999 they all reset to 0 but the reset relay keeps firing. If I set them to 3333 it resets to 3030?? Idk if this would be the culptrit but i find it strange. regardless the reset relay just never stops. I set the ball counter to multiple locations with no luck. Any insite in what to look for would be appreciated.

I also found that my machine doesnt have the counter? Would this cause it to continuously loop and not play or do anything?

20180514_210152_Film1 (resized).jpg20180514_210152_Film1 (resized).jpg
20180514_210201_Film1 (resized).jpg20180514_210201_Film1 (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

Well thats a problem. I am having issues finding a schematic. I found like 2 website that might have a legit version but I have to pay 20 bucks just to see if its accurate . I was hoping to maby find someone on here that has one they can shoot my way or have some in site to in general if a Chicago Coin is missing the counting reel it wont operate.

#4 5 years ago

I found a older post where someone had uploaded the schematics into a dropbox but its no longer active I will try to find it somewhere else if not ill suck it up and buy one. I did some more research and from what I can tell the counting real doesnt have to be in there for it to activate the circuit.

I found a break down someone else had made for the reset coil to activate. Maby this will help? I am struggling to make sense of it.

6 line break down (resized).jpg6 line break down (resized).jpg

194b2474974978729c05d06c74a4e4ebf5506eff (1) (resized).jpg194b2474974978729c05d06c74a4e4ebf5506eff (1) (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for the info!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Hey, I noticed this fell off the local Milwaukee craigslist the other day, congrats on the purchase! I was tempted myself to go take a look.
I know when I picked up my Argosy off the Milwaukee craigslist, it took quite a bit of effort to get it play correctly.
Argosy is a Williams machine, but I was also having issues with the reset continuously being fired. I eventually had to take the sub-panel out, and go through every switch on the score motor. I had to check against the schematic to see if they were supposed to be normally open or normally closed while in the home position. I found so many that were out of alignment there was no way I was going to fix it by tracing one switch at a time.
Most people will highly discourage going and adjusting every switch, but if you can get a schematic I would highly recommend with the power off to get the machine at the home/gameover state then look at the switches on the score motor. Especially if this has been sitting for a long long time.

Thanks for the tips!!! I did as you said, cleaned the contacts for the 4 reel switches and checked to make sure the open/closed were correct. I found on the 4th reel one of the switches was completely stuck. After going through all 4 and adjusting she finally let me play a round! It still has some issues though. When I get over 100 points the machine locks up and starts firing the score relay again. Whats weird is the 100 digit reel moves to 100 then it does it. Ive cleaned the contacts about 10 times now and it seems to be getting better but still acting up, starting to think maby the coil is bad.

My new issue though is the ball kicker activates and I see it move to kick the ball up to where I can launch it but its not kicking hard enough to push the ball. maby just needs to get used more? Lubrication of some sort?

#12 5 years ago

I appreciate all your guys advice. I ordered a schematic but it wont be arriving for a good week. I am way to impatient to wait a week to at least trying to get the scoring system working since I know the issue for playing is somewhere in the middle 2 reels. Does anyone know off hand the proper gap ratio for the contacts on the switches? Some look closer then others when open even though they look to be functioning decent.

#17 5 years ago

Ok guys, I cleaned and checked the switches on the score reels about a billion times.... I have it to the point where the game can add up when playing. If I manually actuate the switches that run power to the reels I can get all 4 of them to rotate no problem. Not one hangs or anything. When I turn the machine off and turn it back on the 10 digit goes to 2?? and then the machine just starts firing the restart relay again. Its got demons I tell ya.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

If you power cycle a game with a relay sticking that is locking on a score reel coil (bad bad! this will melt your coil, troubleshoot sparingly), the power loss will de-energize the coil, the plunger will pull out like it is supposed to, and effectively finish a cycle which will then advance the number when the power shuts off. This is a surefire sign that your score reel coil is sticking. Unless of course it only advances when you turn the game BACK ON, and that's something totally different in the entirety.

Ok so I manually set the scoreboard to 0000. I turn it on and its ready to play. Say I add up to 440 points while playing, turn the machine off and back on and its waiting for another dime. I put in a dime and it goes into reset, all the reels go back to 0 but the 10 digit slot just stays at 4 so now the scoreboard says 0040 and the start relay just keeps firing. When I am playing it adds up no problem on the 10th digit and when I manually add power to the coil on that reel it adds up no problem, just cant seem to reset after a de-energize/re-energize.

#20 5 years ago

Ok guys! I found the 10 digit was not making perfect contact. after this now all the digits reset to 0 when booted up or playing. I literally have 1 issue left and it will be fully functional!!! When I reach between 100-120 points it resets the who system back to 0 points and back to 1st ball. Once I figure this out its done!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schamattack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-kicker-wont-startreset-relay-firing?tu=Schamattack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.