(Topic ID: 134017)

Chicago Coin Juke Box flippers very weak

By ShinikVeech

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shinikveech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I recently picked up a Juke Box (my first machine so far) that was mostly non-functional when I got it home; the score relay runs forever on startup, but manually activating the reset relay allows a ball to kick out and the game to be played.

However, the flippers are exceedingly weak; I can barely hit a ball up to the middle of the opposite slingshot, let alone up the playfield. When I hold either flipper, it doesn't make it to EOS and just wobbles in the middle of the stroke (I don't hold it for long, for I don't want to burn out the coils.) If I manually move the flipper up to EOS and then press the button, it will sometimes stay there, but sometimes not (as if the hold coil isn't strong enough to overcome the spring.)

When I picked up the game, the flipper coils were disconnected. I have since attached the appropriate wires where they belong, and I am seeing a solid 30V AC at the power lugs. I also completely disassembled the EOS switches and cleaned them, so the contacts are now shiny and bright. While I had the coils out, I noticed that custom brass coil sleeves were in place, so I replaced those with nylon, and now the plungers move smoothly through the coil when hand-activated.

Does anyone have any insight into why the flippers would be so weak? I have searched around, but so far nothing seems to be helping.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2 years later
#2 6 years ago

Sorry to resurrect this, but are there any thoughts on this? As I mentioned before, the flipper coils are getting 30V AC, and the weakness is on both flippers, so I don't think it would be the coils.

Thanks again!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shinikveech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-juke-box-flippers-very-weak?tu=shinikveech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.