IMG_4767 (resized).JPG
0Gin-Work-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_4706 (resized).JPG
IMG_4705 (resized).JPG
IMG_4704 (resized).JPG
IMG_4703 (resized).JPG
IMG_4702 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

It doesn't help that I can't follow schematics fully yet so I am having trouble solving this. On the last ball the double bonus relay is suppose to turn on but it isn't.
I've checked the gapping on the main motors contacts they all appear to be good. The game seems to be playing fine the only issue is that relay will not activate when your on the last ball.
I did find that there is a make or break switch on the ball index relay that if I manually push the switch togehter it will turn on the double bonus relay but it has to be on the last ball, if I try it on any other ball it does nothing. That makes me think the ball index relay is suppose to release momentarily between balls so that when on the last ball the bounce bonus switch gets activated, but the ball index relay stays locked on the entire game and only releases once the game is powered off. So maybe the problem is in that relay.
I'd appreciate any guidance on this, I've been trying to figure it out for a few days now with nothing to show for.
Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

The switch I am pointing to with the green plastic tool is normally open in game play because the ball index coil is energized. On the last ball if I close that contact it will turn on the double bonus relay.

IMG_4702 (resized).JPGIMG_4702 (resized).JPG

IMG_4703 (resized).JPGIMG_4703 (resized).JPG

IMG_4704 (resized).JPGIMG_4704 (resized).JPG

IMG_4705 (resized).JPGIMG_4705 (resized).JPG

IMG_4706 (resized).JPGIMG_4706 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Ball index relay should be releasing on first point scored per ball. If it is not, then you have a problem somewhere in the circuitry that feeds the ball index relay coil.

EOS switches on the score reels, the outhole relay, various score motor switches - I can't read that section of the schematic well enough from the pics...

#4 7 years ago

those contacts look black...as in very dirty.
tighten the switch stacks, clean the contacts with a dremel tool with a brass brush, chk for loose contacts, and chk/adjust switches as needed. It will prob work right.

#5 7 years ago

Hi cjs001
Your observations are right / true. I do not know Chicago Coin Pins --- but in Bally and Williams Pins the Ball-Index-Relays are meant: On a NEW ball the player makes some Points: Ball-Index-Relay pulls-in and stays pulling until the ball is lost and the pin steps to next ball. And in the handling of stepping to next ball: The "Self-Hold-Circuitry of the Ball-Index-Relay" is CUT - Relay let go - new ball is given, relay not yet pulling (and so on and on).

My JPG is from Your schematics - ((("encircled rosa / pink": not clear to me))) - "encircled blue": I guess 'making points' does activate the Ball-Index-Relay - "encircled green" the 'good, functioning part of the Self-Hold-Circuitry' - "encircled orange" - either or both: The brake-part of the M&B-Switch on the Outhole-Relay does not open / Score-Motor-Switch does not open, greetings Rolf

0Gin-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Gin-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Ball index relay should be releasing on first point scored per ball. If it is not, then you have a problem somewhere in the circuitry that feeds the ball index relay coil.
EOS switches on the score reels, the outhole relay, various score motor switches - I can't read that section of the schematic well enough from the pics...

Thanks you. Here is a better picture of ball index circuit.

IMG_4767 (resized).JPGIMG_4767 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

Ha! Yes, Rolf is correct. It works like a Williams. (I'm sorry, I feel like I am getting backwards more often than not these days).

As soon as points are scored the ball index relay pulls. The relay holds itself on a switch and the outhole relay.

When you drain a ball, the ball index should briefly release.

Is the double bonus relay a trip relay? If so, when the outhole is hit by the ball, bonus scored and the outhole relay pulls, the double bonus should be energized before kicking out the final ball.

Looking back at the section for that double bonus relay - it is pulled via the ball count unit (is it clean?, all fingers on the spider making good contact at position #5?) and through the ball index relay, then holds itself. So it is not a trip relay.

Long story short:
Check the hold switch on the double bonus relay and clean it. Black with a Green tracer and Green.

#8 7 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help. I finally found the problem. A cracked switch on the 10 point reel. It had cracked and was making contact with the switches above and below it. Now to rummage through my misc parts for another switch. Thanks again!

#9 7 years ago

IMG_4772 (resized).JPGIMG_4772 (resized).JPG

4 years later
#10 3 years ago

I’m having a problem with this game too for some reason after u start the game I have too engage the first orange coil on the left inside the cabinet For it too kick the call out and reset whatever score was last on score board, and everytime is the ball goes down you have too flick it again for it too start next ball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-gin-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.