Topic Stats

• 669 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by balt
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 321 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200610_191426 (1) (resized).jpg
2836CB0C-10A7-4AA3-9641-A6535FE2432A (resized).jpeg
_43_Inside (resized).jpg
_42_Inside (resized).jpg
_40_Playfield (resized).jpg
_32_FrontView (resized).jpg
_31_FrontView (resized).jpg
IMG_0179 (resized).JPG
IMG_9179 (resized).jpg
IMG_9177 (resized).jpg
IMG_0178 (resized).JPG
IMG_0177 (resized).JPG
IMG_5300 (resized).JPG
Ball 2 position (resized).jpg
Diagram (resized).jpg
9215A340-FFA2-46A3-8288-A2B9B968440F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juderussell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#588 4 months ago

Just picked up a Sky Rider which is destined for friends, but I get to spend some time tweaking, cleaning, fine-tuning. Good learning opportunity.

It’s in pretty good shape, but I’m very sad to find a Williams chime box installed. Not a fan. If it were a Gottlieb chime I’d be fine. So I’m picking up a used CC set as my first major improvement. Came with a schematic. Gonna pick up a manual.

Seems to be a bit of a refugee - German coin slots, nameplate says 240V / 50 Hz.

D140DC9C-90F8-4A1E-974D-FCB44C3F5AB6 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#595 3 months ago

A shout-out to those sweet Chicago Coin chimes; I picked up a set on ebay and installed them to replace the Williams chimes that Sky Rider came with, and yesterday a Gottlieb chime rebuild kit came in and was installed. Video was pre-rebuild kit (so much cleaner now) but you get the idea.

#598 3 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

CCoin "chimes" of the 70s era were for the most part,
just simple doorbell chimes from what i remember.

This is what I picked up. Look like Gottlieb chimes but with a wooden resonator box under each bar; plugged right in and the cabinet was drilled for the mounting. I did not notice any manufacturer marks.

Something different? If not, I guess I like old doorbell chimes....

s-l500 (resized).jpg
#602 3 months ago

That nutone “chime” looks irritating as hell. Wonder if there is a video out there to hear it.

Truth be told the Williams chime the game arrived with was perfectly serviceable, but it just felt out of place - I’ve played enough Williams EM machines to have developed an association.

Happy with the CC Chime, Gottlieb rebuild kit worked great (I also picked up the little bumpers instead of the foam strip).

1 week later
#616 3 months ago

I've been slowly chipping away at my Sky Rider foster child - replaced the installed Williams Chime unit with a proper CC one, swapped out LEDs behind the glass and under the table (I like to keep the incandescent bulbs up top), tapped it up to 33 V (super simple in this machine) which made it a much nicer player.

I'm planning to spend some time messing with the other adjustments - in this case 3-ball vs. 5-ball, and add-a-ball vs. replay (for points), and anything else I can change - just to see how it goes. I like the Extra Ball outlanes (hit the drop targets to light) just fine, but kind of miss hearing the extra game knocker on points. I've rolled the thing (> 200K) a few times already because its not that hard to get extra balls on points. So I think I'm going to set that to replay to keep things a little sane point wise.

Any words of wisdom from CC aficianados regarding other things to look into?

#619 3 months ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Increase the angle to make it more fun and more difficult.

Did that already - part of the motivation for tapping it up (flippers could not get the ball up to the top in normal)

2 months later
#666 14 days ago

Sky Rider - to wax or not to wax . . .

A recent visit to Pep Boys (headlights out, and you need to field strip the front end of the Chevy Mailbu to replace 'em) resulted in buying a bottle of Mother's carnauba wax, need to schedule a wax / cleaning night. No question about my Duotron and Domino - wood playfields that need some protection. But Sky Rider seems to have some sort of clear coating on the playfield (which other than some sketchy inserts is gorgeous) and wondering if it might have been coated or something (from the factory or aftewwards) in a way that wax is either not needed or not advised.

Or just wax away, can't hurt?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Massapequa, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe, MI
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 7.95
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 9.50
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider juderussell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside