(Topic ID: 310882)

Chicago Coin Cinema -- traded one problem for another?

By Carmoney

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Carmoney
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cinema score motor (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I recently purchased this machine, and although it had not been serviced in a long while, it was actually working quite well. The one exception is that the bonus scoring would sometimes stall upon awarding the last thousand points and hang up for a while before shutting off and kicking out the next ball. I figured that was related to a dry and dirty bonus stepper unit, so I decided to service that item. I removed the playfield and took out the bottom panel to get to the bonus stepper. I checked, cleaned, and added a little dielectric grease to it, and confirmed that everything seemed to be stepping nicely. While the board was out, I cleaned the relay switches, and gently tightened the screws on the switch stacks that were accessible.

(That may have not been a good idea.)

I also inspected everything under the playfield, cleaned the relay switches, and installed new bulbs.

After re-installing the boards and plugging everything back together, I turned the game on to see if the bonus scoring problem had gone away. I was dismayed to find that now the score motor runs non-stop, and of course the machine will not start a game and kick up a ball. Looking up, I realized the score reels had not reset, so I manually reset them all to zero. Same problem. Under the playfield, I notice that the #20 Extra Advance relay is clicking and cycling back and forth while the score motor runs and runs. If I physically pull the actuator away from the relay, it allows the score motor to stop. But as soon as I let go, it pulls in again and starts clicking, and the score motor runs. Obviously, something is causing that relay to be energized. On the schematic, it appears that relay is related to switch E-1 on the score motor. I cleaned and adjusted that switch the best I could, but that didn't seem to help. I don't see any problem with the playfield switches that advance the bonus, but I will check them again more closely tomorrow.

I wish I could read and understand schematics better....

On other machines, I have experienced the typical problem where the score motor runs because the score reels have not reset. But I really don't think that is the problem, because they were working just fine, and I had not messed around in the back box at all prior to having this problem. It's pretty clear that I messed up something when I was cleaning switches and tightening the stack screws.

I have the playfield and bottom board back out again, and when I get to the shop I plan to go back through them both and check everything again carefully.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 2 years ago

I'd start by figuring out which of these switches is sending power to the score motor:
Cinema score motor (resized).jpgCinema score motor (resized).jpg

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

The extra advance relay pulls in by the center lane switch. The relay hold circuit is a normally open switch on the extra advance relay with a red wire connected to it. If center lane switch is closed or the relay normally open switch isn’t opening when the relay relaxes, the relay will continuously pull in. Perhaps the switch closed when tightening down the stack screws.

#4 2 years ago

I managed to fix the problem today. I checked everything again--including everything shown on the schematic MarkG provided above--and found one crazy switch on the score motor that had no gap. So I corrected that. The relays all seemed fine. Got it back together and it started a game normally. The only problem was that the center lane (extra advance) switch was non-functional. After removing and rebuilding the switch (and removing a backer leaf that I believe may have been bridging the switch), that's working fine now too.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to look through the backbox, and try not to go messing around with stuff (since the machine is now working)! Maybe a little gentle cleaning/lubing of the steppers, and that's about it.

I always appreciate the input. Thanks for taking the time to lend a hand.

Mike

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-cinema-traded-one-problem-for-another and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.