• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Cinema Game Over relay (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

This Cinema is the first pinball that I ever owned... now I'm at 9 EM's. I've had this for 5 years or so and it's run fine up until recently. All it needed when I bought it was a new ball, rubbers and a play field waxing.
So, today I'm trying to figure out why it goes into "end of game" at 2 balls instead of 3 or 4 balls when it's set for 5 balls.
The ball count stepper switch seems to be functioning fine, it steps up and it resets back to the "factory position... indicated by orange paint on the circuit board and contact finger" first position okay. I have had the stepper switch disassembled for cleaning but I'm about 99% sure that it is reassembled properly.
When I get a new EM, I will always totally go through them, play field, cabinet board and score reel board. I disassemble and clean all stepper switchs, score reels, score motor, all switches, relays, wire solder joints etc etc. I've had great success in doing this and it virtually always fixes anything that's wrong. So, this isn't my first rodeo.
That said, I did totally go through this Cinema since it was starting to give me grief. The score motor was running continuously, I tracked the problem down to an internally broken wire in the score reel "0" circuit. On a 4-player game it was occasionally scoring points for a different player but that's no longer an issue.
So, now I have this 3-ball, 5-ball problem and I'm guessing that it's something that I screwed up since this wasn't a problem before

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
John

#2 1 year ago

The switch on the Lock relay might be gapped too close:
Cinema Game Over relay (resized).jpgCinema Game Over relay (resized).jpg
If you block it with a piece of paper does the problem go away?

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Nope, that's not it. the gap looks good, I blocked it anyway and still the same problem.

#4 1 year ago

Okay... I have about a thousand hours into this issue! I'm about to call it a 2-ball or 4-ball machine and leave it at that!

Can someone walk me through the basic operational sequence of the ball count circuit?

I've checked every switch contact, relay performance, score motor contacts in this circuit including the ball count unit, Ball Count unit post switch "0" break, Out Hole relay and switches, Game over relay and switches, player control unit post switch at "0" break, coin relay switches and about 50 other things... it's kicking my ass!
This seems like it should be a simple problem to fix... I'm missing something here.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from homeboy101:

I'm trying to figure out why it goes into "end of game" at 2 balls instead of 3 or 4 balls when it's set for 5 balls.

I don't understand what you're trying to tell us here.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from homeboy101:

I'm trying to figure out why it goes into "end of game" at 2 balls instead of 3 or 4 balls when it's set for 5 balls.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I don't understand what you're trying to tell us here.

Quoted from homeboy101:

#8 1 year ago

So it's not just advancing ball count twice when a ball drains sometimes?
The problem only occurs when you are at ball 2 on a 3 ball game and as ball 2 drains it goes to end of game, or when on 5 ball games it goes to end of game as ball 4 drains?

If it was just randomly advancing the ball twice I have some ideas, but not if its only happening as ball 2 or 4 drains.

#9 1 year ago

When conditions are right with the coin unit and player control unit to be able to advance the ball count unit. When the ball drains the outhole relay pulls in, the ball count unit step up coil immediately fires, the outhole relay starts the score motor turning, once the score motor bumps the cams off their home position , cam 1 top cam, home position cam, will open normally closed switch A4 on the home position switch stack.
This switch gap is important in when the switch opens it drops the power to the step up coil and the switch must retain its proper gap until the outhole relay releases and the cams reach their next home position allowing A4 to reclose.
Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#10 1 year ago

Good afternoon... sorry about not replying this weekend, it was simply busy around here and today I need to get a snowplow mounted on a 4-wheeler so I don't have much time to spare.
Anyway, sorry about the confusion also...
So, if I have the machine set for 3-ball play, the game will end after the second ball drains. The 3rd ball light doesn't come on and it goes to "game over". The same is true if I set it up for 5-ball play, after ball 4 drains... end of game.

Pinballdaveh... thanks for the run-through of the system and I'll pull the schematics back out and do a double check of all components in this circuit. The question that I have to ask though, without looking over the schematics, is this... would this part of the circuit only be active for the last ball, be it set for 3-ball or 5-ball, or would this affect all balls to be played? What is different for the last ball to be played that ends the game?

So, here's another weird... weird one. Is Rod Sterling in the house? The other day after my last post, I was dropping the play field down to close things up for the night. I saw something that had been done to the machine years ago and something that I should have tracked down and changed when I had the "belly board" out.

What I found was that the adjustable pin from the right "coin chute switch" was in the "on" receptical, which it has always been (1 coin=1 play, 2 coins=3 plays). But, someone had de-soldered the wire (grey-white wire) from the adjustable "right chute adjustment" pin and re-soldered it over on to the top of the pin for the right coin chute.

I don't know why this was done so I moved it back to the pin (without a wire on it) that was in the #2, Y-B wire color position on the "right chute adjustment".
I then started the game up, played a single player game in the 3-ball mode and it played normally... end of game on the 3rd ball drain. I then played a 4-player game set up for 3-ball play and all went fine, the 4-player game ended on 4th player, #3 ball drain. WALLA! Life is good!!! It's fixed!!!

Then I decided that I should shut the machine down and restart it to make sure things were still good. Well, all went back to where we were... 3-ball game ends after the 2nd ball drain and when set for 5-ball, game ends after #4 ball drain.
Well, really? I mean REALLY??? So I set it for 5-ball games and it's again a 4-ball machine. The grandkids have played the hell out of it and every game ends on ball #4 drain.

I'm not familiar with the "right chute adjustment" and I'm not sure what it's for but there are 4 positions that the pin can be moved to and I haven't had time to dig into this.

Again, thanks for the input and any advice will be helpful.

#11 1 year ago

Is it possible the 'ball count unit' isn't resetting back to its home position? I had similar problems with a CC 1976 Juke Box pin. Mechanically it was reset to the hard stop, but the zero switch was slightly off not registering it was at 'home'. It might think ball 2 is actually ball 1 so it's always 1 ball ahead of itself. So at the end of ball 2, it thinks ball 3 and ends the game. Or when ball 4 drains, it thinks ball 5 and ends the game.

Jack

#12 1 year ago

Likely the Ball Count stepper unit fingers aren't centered on their rivets, or are installed rotated one position from where they should be.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-cinema-ball-count and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.