(Topic ID: 73518)

Chicago Coin Bullseye Pitch-n-Bat - PLAY BALL!

By jodini

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PC201438-637.JPG
    PC201439.JPG
    PC201437.JPG
    PC181427.JPG
    PC121423.JPG
    PC121422.JPG
    PC121421.JPG
    PC121415.JPG
    PC121424.JPG
    PC121419.JPG
    PC121418.JPG
    PC121425.JPG
    PC121426.JPG
    PC121414.JPG
    PC121420.JPG
    PC121411.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

First off, thanks for letting me post here. I know this is not a pinball, but pinside are my people, so please don't kick me off!
    So I've been itching to work on another EM and I wanted something different. GIGI was a fun challenge and I thought...."boy...those pitch n bats look fun"! So our good friend Pafasa set me up with a guy that had one in descent shape and the wedding was on! I picked it up last week and I was happy to see the backglass and cabinet looked great! The playing field was not bad either, so now it's a matter of figuring out the inside.
    I have had some issues that I posted here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-bullseye-pitch-n-bat-need-help-please

Other than that, I have everything pretty well cleaned out. The artwork on the inside of the machine on the sides is pretty scratched up from the playing field being lifted. Looks like the "cardboard" has warped and rubs against it each time.

PC121412.JPGPC121412.JPG
    PC121413.JPGPC121413.JPG
    PC121411.JPGPC121411.JPG
    PC121420.JPGPC121420.JPG
    PC121414.JPGPC121414.JPG

#2 10 years ago

So all the stepper units were gummed up so I disassembled and cleaned those. Work great now! I found a ton of glass and a few balls inside the ball trough....never a good sign.....and noticed one ball was not quiet the right size! HA!

Made a oak bat from 1/2 doll rod. Worse that can happen....crack! Worth a shot for a while.

But over all, all the gaps on the machine look great, the coils look good (mostly unburt). I'm hoping to plug this bad boy in this weekend....figures crossed of course!

PC121426.JPGPC121426.JPG PC121425.JPGPC121425.JPG PC121418.JPGPC121418.JPG PC121419.JPGPC121419.JPG
    #3 10 years ago

Congratulations. I enjoy having a Pitch and Bat in the collection. It adds a little variation. 2 player with ramps should be a fun element that guests will enjoy.

Smaller balls will play faster. Compensation for the missing pitch variation components? Random fastball hack!

I believe your missing pitch component would have been a magnet to adjust the speed and trajectory of the different pitches.

#4 10 years ago

Nice. I hope to add a nice P&B someday soon

--Jeff

#5 10 years ago

AlexF. I think you're right, but talking to a pitch n bat buddy, he thinks the coils themselves in that possition would act as the magnetic current. Your thoughts?

PC121424.JPGPC121424.JPG PC121415.JPGPC121415.JPG
    #6 10 years ago

And I too agree that is a "fast ball" hack! I'm assuming the coils themselves would act as resistors in this situation. I'm not the type where I have to get the coin door to work since it's on free play, but it would be nice to get the machine in original working condition with the pitching and bat.

PC121421.JPGPC121421.JPG PC121422.JPGPC121422.JPG PC121423.JPGPC121423.JPG
    #7 10 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

AlexF. I think you're right, but talking to a pitch n bat buddy, he thinks the coils themselves in that possition would act as the magnetic current. Your thoughts?

That's quite possible, I've never had a pitch and bat with multiple pitches.

There has to be someone with a pic floating around somewhere?

#8 10 years ago

Check this pic out. Looks like a couple monster coils sat in there.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2825&picno=25547

#11 10 years ago

Alex...you da man! This is great! So since that Yankee Baseball is also a chicago coin, I bet those would be the match. I sent Pinball Resource an email and we'll see what they come up with. I also think I'll go on pinballowners and find guys that have this same machine and see if they can send me picks also.
    I don't think those ones from Marco will work, but I could be wrong. I guess if I'm desperate enough, anything should work!

Thanks again guys!
    Joe

#12 10 years ago

When I showed these pictures to my friend Mike at Pinball Past here in Omaha, we both agreed that the mods looked like they were done by an "operator" back in the day. In a way, that makes me feel a little better.

#13 10 years ago

There are so many Pitch and Bat games that I am surprised no one does reproductions of the Baseball Bat itself.

Ken

#14 10 years ago

I can't believe it. After cleaning out the stepper units, the sucker fired up!

Still don't have the curve ball thing figured out but schematics will be coming soon. The power of the bat is NUTS. The guy that sold me the machine gave me the wrong glass but LUCKILY I put it on top and man, I am glad I did....that ball would of broke the backglass if it shot out of there. So that needs to be adjusted, but over all.....it's starting to work. Have to make a few more adjustments and get some glass cut...but very happy!
    Joe

#15 10 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it! When I originally found it, I was sure it would take a lot of work. Looks like you got a pretty good deal! Glad it stayed local to me. I was tempted to buy it myself.

#16 10 years ago

It's coming along. I just got the schematics and it looks like Pinball Resource and Marco has lots of the coils I need to make that curveball to work. Also ordered a few of those coils to bring the bat power down...it could break a finger!

BTW...the same coil that is used for the bat coil is used for the curveball and slider.

#17 10 years ago

Hey Jodini, I just bought a 69 Chicago Coin Yankee baseball pitch and bat. Sat for 9 years and put away wet.
    Lots of challenges ahead. If you need any picks let me know. I was looking at your pictures other then artwork
    they look identical. Mine has those 3 bat speed controllers as well. My guess is move the jack plug around and
    adjust the slot for speed control.

#18 10 years ago

I've got a 1955 Chicago Coin Bullseye - it didn't have the pitch options like the later versions. Fun game to work on, my '55 is built like a tank!

You should check to see if you have the right balls, mine had 3 different sizes when I got it and none of them were correct. I believe the correct sized ball is 7/8". Marco had a lot of what I needed to get mine up and running.

Allen

#19 10 years ago

I used to own that title. It is a fun game with the variety of pitches.

#20 10 years ago

alb0711 - You make a good point! Four that came with it work fine, but when I went to PBR, it mentions the 3/4 size balls. So I ordered those and they are a lot bigger than what I have. And your 7/8 would be even larger! So now I'm totally confused.

CHAMP1973 - Would you PLEASE take photos of where the wires go to the slider coil and curve coil. Also can you take a picture of what wires go to what buttons on the panel. There are 7 wires and I "think" I have it figured out by looking at the schematics, but not positive.
    Thanks folks!
    Joe

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

alb0711 - You make a good point! Four that came with it work fine, but when I went to PBR, it mentions the 3/4 size balls. So I ordered those and they are a lot bigger than what I have. And your 7/8 would be even larger! So now I'm totally confused.

putting larger balls in the game would go a long way to solving your airball situation.

#22 10 years ago

In my 1955 game, there is a ramp and "bullseye" target as well as "decks" that the ball can land in for extra runs. It needs the airballs!

Jodini - I'll go back and try and find my order - If PBR says 3/4 are the right ones for p&b games, they they are probably what I have.

Allen

#23 10 years ago

Thanks Allen!
    This is actually what PBR say, "Used on Williams Baseball games starting with Deluxe Official through Slugfest!" So that doesn't necessary mean that Chicago Coin was using the same size.

#24 10 years ago

Well...it's official! I'm a moron!

On PBR website there is the little writing by the 13/16" balls: Used on most Chicago Coin Baseballs!

And that would be correct! That's what I have in the machine now and since I've found five, I'm set!

Now I wait for parts for the power on the bat and curve balls!

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

Nah, not really. Finding documented ball sizes for P&B is a road I have been down too. There isn't much out there. It's usually something like most games from such & such manufacturer us this size. Something definitive would be nice. If your lucky your game came with the correct size.

#27 10 years ago

Pafasa...you're brutal!

I sat down with the schematics and made a lot of headway today. I couldn't make sense because my yellow wires looked red to me and my gray wires looked yellow. But after unwinding the wires I could see the true colors and everything started to match the schematics...yeah!

So now I await more parts from PBR - lots of coils and a few other parts. I wished I lived closer to NJ!

#28 10 years ago

Wouldnt that be cool?? "Honey, I'm headed in to Poughkeepsie! I need a few parts" I might come home sometime tonight! Maybe!!"

#29 10 years ago

you mean there are different wire colors than grey and not quite as grey???

--Jeff

#30 10 years ago

Yes. I think there is white and almost white too!

#31 10 years ago

Oh and I forgot usedtobe red also.

#32 10 years ago

Darn post service slowed down by the holidays....bah, humbug!

So I got the parts.....and put in the coils and all be darn....it works! Adjustments on the bat power (I went to half and its just right). And I put in the coils for the curve ball / slider and I didn't think it was actually work (guess I was expecting some crazy cartoonish curve ball...ha)....but when I watched it go down the shoot there was definitely changes on where the ball would hit the bat.

Now I'm happy! I will now work on other issues. The playing field lights down work and sometimes the players down reset when you start a new game (guys still on the bases). But overall, I'm pretty happy how far it's come. It's a very addicting game....that's for sure!
    Joe

PC181427.JPGPC181427.JPG
    PC201437.JPGPC201437.JPG
    PC201439.JPGPC201439.JPG

PC201438-637.JPGPC201438-637.JPG
    1 week later
    #33 10 years ago

Finally I got this machine working 100% right! I was having problems that the players on the bases wouldn't reset when I started a new game. Ended up being the score motor running the "animation". It's nice when a machine has the sequence of the score score motor inside!
    As always - here's the video of it working!

#34 10 years ago

Cool looking game.

#35 10 years ago

Congrats on such a cool addition to your gameroom! I love watching the video. Makes me want one.

#36 10 years ago

Fun game and thanks for the video. Glad you got it working! Now.....Play Ball!

Ken

#37 10 years ago

Well, thanks to you Pafasa for hooking me up with this guy. It was kind of like any project....looked like a mess before and now that it's all cleaned up...I'm loving it. The biggest challenges was getting the curve ball, slider working and getting the power of the bat under control. (Also finding a bat but I like the oak bat better)! Other than that, it was like fixing up any EM game.
    The novus and wax really shined up the "playing field". I was going to replace the players that get smacked by the balls but decided to leave it and let the wear show it's age. Now I just have to get some room in my basement so I can move it down. The main cabinet on these weigh nothing, but the header weighs a ton! It's impossible for me to lift it myself.

So I think this project is done. I am now an official Pitch-n-bat mechanic!
    Joe

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

Now I just have to get some room in my basement so I can move it down.

Gee, what could you sell to make that room????? I have an idea!!

#39 10 years ago

HA! No F-14 Tomcat is going to fly out of here soon!

I just traded out my Hokus Pokus and Space Mission for a solid state (sorry guys)....for a Time Machine which I'm really pumped about....so the collection will be:
    Gigi
    Dodge City
    Bullseye Baseball
    Dixieland
    F-14
    Time Machine

Pretty happy with the variety....old and slightly new!

If it was up to me, I would just have old...but the kids like the newer (sounds and lights)...and it's all about the children, right!

#40 10 years ago

I like Time Machine and I'm an Em guy. Fun game, simple to follow and you can usually find them affordably.

#41 10 years ago

Jodini, The whole 4+ min of your video I think I heard the word "cool" come out of my mouth about a dozen times.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

HA! No F-14 Tomcat is going to fly out of here soon!
    I just traded out my Hokus Pokus and Space Mission for a solid state (sorry guys)....for a Time Machine which I'm really pumped about....so the collection will be:
    Gigi
    Dodge City
    Bullseye Baseball
    Dixieland
    F-14
    Time Machine
    Pretty happy with the variety....old and slightly new!
    If it was up to me, I would just have old...but the kids like the newer (sounds and lights)...and it's all about the children, right!

Where did you get the time machine? My best friend has one. Or does he now have a Hokus Pokus and Space Mission?

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Jodini, The whole 4+ min of your video I think I heard the word "cool" come out of my mouth about a dozen times.

Because it's "COOL"!
    Sorry....I need to expand my pinball vocabulary...ha!

Now Pafasa...stop giving me a hard time! You're starting to make me cry!

I bought the Time Machine from Mike Cavalier at Pinball Past here in Omaha and he will have Hokus Pokus and Space Mission. I like them both, but was itching to get another modern. You can come down from Oakland anytime and play it!

O.K...back to talking baseball! It's pretty COOL!

6 years later
    #44 3 years ago

Picked this up recently, probably the only one in Europe Does anyone know where to find replacement decals for the targets (Homerun, Single and so on)? Mine are pretty beat up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-bullseye-pitch-n-bat-play-ball?hl=theadicts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.