• Latest reply 1 year ago by pinoobie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10 point score reel-schematic (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

This is my first em pinball project and I've hit a roadblock. I am bringing a 1967 Beatniks machine back from the dead. I got it to power up and managed to fix all of the non-working score reels except the 10-90 reels (both player 1 and player 2 will not reset). I have all the other working score reels as a guide, so I don't think I have a switch issue on those reels. The other issue with the machine: None of the 10 point bumpers or 30 point lanes will score properly. If I hit anything that should make the 10-90 score reel activate, they don't move but the 10-90 relay locks on and buzzes. I have a schematic but I am not very good at reading it yet. Any ideas what I can look at next? Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

The 10 point relay will typically lock on until it sees a 10 point score reel end of stroke switch open. Since your score reels aren't moving what you're seeing is the expected behavior. You can test that theory by manually advancing a 10 point score reel while the 10 point relay is locked on. That should cause the relay to release.

A scan of the schematic showing the circuits for both 10 point score reels would help pinpoint where the issue is. For extra credit scan the whole thing and send it to ipdb.org.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Thanks, MarkG. I manually advanced the 10 point score reel and the relay released. Is this the part of the schematic you're asking for?

10 point score reel-schematic (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

I would start by checking that the white wire that connects to all of the score reel coils actually connects both of the 10 point score reels to the working score reel coils. They're mounted one over the other in the game so it's possible that the white wire has fallen off a solder lug in a way that would disable both 10 point score reels.

#5 1 year ago

I was excited to find that one of the white wires was a little loose where it connects to the score reel relay. I soldered it but that did not solve the problem. I have been able to get the score reel to move on occasion. Sometimes it tries to reset but never completely gets to zero. It's possible I don't have the switches configured properly on that reel (it is slightly different than the 1-9 score reel, but I've tried every combination possible.

#6 1 year ago

Try experimenting with a jumper wire to see if you can identify switches in the score reel circuits that aren't working. For example if you jumper around the Zero position switch on the 1st player 10-90 score reel (yellow-red wire to grey-white wire) to remove it from the circuit does the behavior change?

#7 1 year ago

I'll have to buy a set of jumper wires and try that. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for the advice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 15.00
Various Novelties
UpKick Pinball
Various novelties

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!