• Latest reply 2 years ago by Mkirby
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jones plugs (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Hi! I am a new member to Pinside. I have a 1973 Chicago Coin Riviera EM pinball. I have been tinkering with many issues and had them cleaned up except it doesnt want to kick the ball out to the shooter lane from the outhole. The schematics still confuse me and was wondering if someone could tell me the sequence that happens once the ball goes into the outhole during play, with the bonus. Thanks

2 weeks later
#2 2 years ago

The ball return kicker coil circuit consists of the coil, BLU-y wire from coil goes to normally closed switch on the last ball relay.BLU-W leaves the switch and goes to a normally open switch on the outhole relay. Brn-R wire leaves the switch and connects To score motor switch C1.
Once the bonus unit gets to zero position a blade switch should transfer power from the bonus relay to the outhole relay. The outhole relay must stay closed long enough to allow score motor C1 switch to close and fire the ball return kicker.

1 month later
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The ball return kicker coil circuit consists of the coil, BLU-y wire from coil goes to normally closed switch on the last ball relay.BLU-W leaves the switch and goes to a normally open switch on the outhole relay. Brn-R wire leaves the switch and connects To score motor switch C1.
Once the bonus unit gets to zero position a blade switch should transfer power from the bonus relay to the outhole relay. The outhole relay must stay closed long enough to allow score motor C1 switch to close and fire the ball return kicker.

Thanks so much! Will check these out tomorrow. I'm still trying to figure the EM schematics out.

1 week later
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Mkirby:

Hi! I am a new member to Pinside. I have a 1973 Chicago Coin Riviera EM pinball. I have been tinkering with many issues and had them cleaned up except it doesnt want to kick the ball out to the shooter lane from the outhole. The schematics still confuse me and was wondering if someone could tell me the sequence that happens once the ball goes into the outhole during play, with the bonus. Thanks

Mr K

im looking at a Riviera to buy. quick ? - seller says the back display (head) doesnt detach. that doesnt make sense.

any insight?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Number1Billiards:

Mr K
im looking at a Riviera to buy. quick ? - seller says the back display (head) doesnt detach. that doesnt make sense.
any insight?

Hi! Mine has 4 bolts inside the back box on the bottom and I think you can detach the Jones plugs(2 or 3) from inside the back box too.

#7 2 years ago

Jones plugs. You may have to rock them slightly, but try as much as possible to pull them straight out.

Be sure to hold onto, or have a helper hold onto the back box when you take the four bolts out.

jones plugs (resized).jpgjones plugs (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Hi pinballdaveh! Have been looking at your advice and been tracing wires and checking it out. When the ball drains, what would trigger the bonus relay? would the trough switch trigger the bonus unit or bonus relay? Thanks

#9 2 years ago

When the ball drains, the outhole switch closes and pulls in the bonus relay 1st. After the bonus unit counts down to zero, the zero position switch on the bonus unit changes the power from the bonus relay to the outhole relay and complete the kick out sequence. It the machine has a trough switch, once rolling over it will change player or ball count advance.

#10 2 years ago

When the ball drains, the outhole switch closes and pulls in the bonus relay 1st. After the bonus unit counts down to zero, the zero position switch on the bonus unit changes the power from the bonus relay to the outhole relay and complete the kick out sequence. It the machine has a trough switch, once rolling over it will change player or ball count advance.</gblockquote>

Thanks so much for this info. Will let you know how it goes. Hope it gets it running.

#11 2 years ago

Thanks so much , pinballdaveh!!!! Will let you know

1 week later
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Mkirby:

Thanks so much , pinballdaveh!!!! Will let you know

Hi again pinballdaveh!! I worked on my Riviera today and can’t find anything wrong with switches or wiring. It has to be something simple because when the ball drains , I can tap on the ball outhole cover a couple of times and it will eventually shoot the ball into the shooter lane. Also the score motor cycles. Any ideas or does this boil down to one of the play field switches like the bonus relay? Thanks

#13 2 years ago

The outhole switch that the ball rolls into needs to be cleaned and maybe a slight adjustment if vibration is what it takes to make it work correctly. It might be opening the outhole relay prematurely if the switch doesn’t work correctly .

3 weeks later
#14 2 years ago

tip regarding the schematic, there are 2 "trough" switches, one is labelled "trough" the other is "trough roll over". The rollover is the one closer to the shooter lane

#15 2 years ago

Thanks again guys for the help so far. I think I have narrowed it down to a possible bonus collect relay coil not pulling in. Still looking at the coil or the pulse coming to it. With the outhole switch closed I can push the bonus collect coil and it sticks closed, collects the bonus and kicks the ball out. Does this pulse come from the outhole switch directly or somewhere else? I am wanting to check wire continuity. It has 2 white wires on one post and a yellow on the other. I have another coil to try next. I appreciate all the comments and help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Cabinet parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-1973-riviera-ball-return-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.