Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2572_(resized).JPG
IMG_2573_(resized).JPG
IMG_2570_(resized).JPG
ScreenHunter_12_Jul._03_21.15_(resized).jpg
IMG_2542_1_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Does anyone have a manual or schematic for this Pin ?
I'm missing the solenoid (or two) for the units/tens stepper in the backcase.
If no schematic, how is the scoring done in reference to the units and tens ?
Is there a part# for the above solenoid, which I am missing /
Thanks.....

IMG_2542_1_(resized).JPGIMG_2542_1_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

There should be two solenoids for this pin.
The solenoids should look like those seen in this 1940 Chicago coin 'Roxy'....

ScreenHunter_12_Jul._03_21.15_(resized).jpgScreenHunter_12_Jul._03_21.15_(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

wonder if you could swap that whole assy for a similar one from a newer machine? Williams, or Gottlieb maybe?

#4 7 years ago

Maybe.......... Right now I am trying to find 2 replacement solenoids and try to figure out how
both of them figure in to the Scoring.
The lever on the bottom right will move the gear backwards, if I apply pressure to the
gear and work the lever. I don't see any spring that would make that happen though.
I don't see why you would want to do that though; it would be taking points off of your score!
****** It would be nice to find a schematic, that would help!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

I don't see why you would want to do that though; it would be taking points off of your score

Resetting your score for a new game I'd say!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

In order to do that it would need a large spring under tension for a total reset, or the solenoid would have to stay
energized long enough for the gear to count back to the 'zero position'.
* I would think someone would have a similar Pin that works like this.

3 weeks later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Ok...... I think I know how this works now, after watching a video on Youtube of a 1940
C.C. "Roxy". This Pin came out in 1940, it may have been the next Pin after o'Boy.
* The lower solenoid is used to remove 'payout' points( Unit scoring) that are earned when Playing.
The Units/Tens lights lite Up as you score points on the Pin; there are settings between 30,000 and
40,000. There are Payout plugs under the Playfield
that the Owner could set for payout purposes.........I forgot about the switch under the cabinet that was used
to reset points after a Payout.......
** Does anyone have a schematic for this payout switch circuitry on a similar Prewar Pin ?
It must provide the voltage to the lower solenoid to walkback the Points earned.
John

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

I was Lucky to find two stepper assys. with Both solenoids and they all tested OK.
I replaced the 1k/10K solenoid because it was shorting to the case. then I was able to
actually Play a full game.
I replaced the lower solenoid on the Tens/Units assy. and added the large spring( which was not
on my assy.) Its not really needed unless you want a 'full reset' when resetting the payout score. It will single step
the stepper backwards without it.
Lastly, I re-wired the entire assy. because the wires were just too tight in the harness.
I bought a 'momentary switch and wired it in the 35VAC line to energize and reset the above Payout score.
Its almost 100% now after working on/off for the past 5 years.....

IMG_2570_(resized).JPGIMG_2570_(resized).JPG

IMG_2573_(resized).JPGIMG_2573_(resized).JPG

IMG_2572_(resized).JPGIMG_2572_(resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-1939-oboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.