Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Spybryon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PurpleTophat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 10 years ago

Ahhh poop! I called this guy too. I called at about 3:00pm. Seemed like an ok fellow. He told me that it was first come first served and that he had a few other guys coming, but that none of them could have been there before 8:30pm. If I wanted it then and there, it was all mine.

I should have gone right then. Would have been there first one there by a few hours. It's just that the wife and I are temporarily living with my parents and there's no room left in this house for anything. My dumb logic had to screw me over. Looking around now, there are literally boxes stacked to the ceiling of this house, so it just wouldn't be fair of me to bring another pin into this place right now. So I thought, maybe someone here will score this one. Glad to hear it went to fellow Pinsider!

To the OP, man I feel your pain, but CL is all about being first. When he told me he had a guy coming at 8:30 I instantly felt bad for "that guy", because he'll be the guy wasting his time and gas. Ain't no $1,000 ID4 gonna wait around more than a couple of hours for ANYBODY round here. I would have been afraid of wasting my gas having to drive an hour to get it in the early afternoon, even with assurances that I was the only one coming.

The good thing is when pins like this stay within this community, it seems like when people get sick of them, there's a better chance they'll eventually let them go for a fair price. Better it went to a player like Steve than to a flipper, I say.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Just curious as to why you called the guy. You said that you are living with parents and have no room for the machine. Reason i ask this as i am a seller myself, and its such a pain in the ass when someone calls, takes up your time, to find out that they either cant even afford the machine, or like you say, dont have space for it. I just never understand why people will waste someone elses time if they are not capable of following through.

Well, there's a very simple answer for that: He was very vague on condition. I asked him, and he gave me no specifics. All he could tell me was "I buy em and fix em and sell em when I get bored of em". The OP here said that the backbox had been damaged. The seller didn't tell me that. There were no pics in the ad, so basically I wanted the guy to tell me that it was a beautiful game that I couldn't pass up or at least a decent player quality game for a good price. If he'd have been more forthcoming with details, I probably would have pulled the trigger and stacked the game on the damn dining room table. But...with him dodging questions of condition, it made it easy to convince myself to stay home.

Damn...now I'm starting to regret not going. I love that movie. The part where Bill Pullman gives the Independence Day speech before they launch their fighter jet attack...awesome.

#49 10 years ago

Yep, shoulda stacked it on the damn dining room table...

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

probably because he had no intention of buying, but called and wasted the sellers time anyway...

What in the ever-loving hell are you talking about??

I stated very clearly that I probably would have bought it if the seller had given me a bit more confidence in it's condition. How does that constitute "having no intention of buying"? Just because I call, I am not obligated to buy anything, nor am I wasting his time if I want to find out if it's in total shit-can condition before I drive an hour and half in rush hour traffic to HOPEFULLY be the first one there.

The guy was unwilling to give any details about it's condition to me. Apparently he told the OP that it had a damaged backbox. Clearly he wasn't earning my confidence with his honesty and willingness to be forthcoming with details. Calling someone who's selling something doesn't obligate one to purchase that item. Just because the deal didn't feel right to me once I called him, doesn't mean I wasted anyone's time.

For the record, my saying that I have no room in my parent's house right now is my way of justifying to myself not having pulled the trigger. I'll always regret the $800 JP that got away, and I don't want this to be a repeat of that. Do you honestly believe that in an entire house, there is not room enough for 1 single collapsed shrink-wrapped machine? If you REALLY wanted to, you could squeeze a machine almost anywhere where there's a damn 3' x 2' hole. If you went to the house of anyone on here who said they didn't have room for another machine, you could still find a place to stash one 100% of the time. It might block the view of the TV from certain seats, but it could be done. It's not that I couldn't buy it, it's that I chose not to after speaking with the guy. My choice, not wasting anyone's time.

#56 10 years ago

Just found out that a friend of 10+ years just died. The guy was 40 years old and he died of lung cancer. Never smoked a cigarette in his life. We thought he had taken a turn for the better, but all it took was one day for all of it to end. He was a great guy.

Bickering is stupid. Life is short as all hell. Seriously folks. Short. As. Hell. Hug your loved ones and have fun with your pinball machines.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PurpleTophat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-cl-rant-id4-1000?tu=PurpleTophat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.