Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Spybryon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Yesterday afternoon an ad on Chicago CL came up for ID4 $1000. I called relatively quickly on the ad and talked to the owner of the machine. He told me it was priced @ $1k because the backbox had been damaged on one side and poorly repaired. The rest of the machine was described as perfect. He hadn't posted pictures yet but was on his way home to do so. I told him save your energy, I will take it. I have the cash and can be there at 8:30pm. He said OK it's yours and gave me his address. Well guess what? I get there and he pops out of his garage and tells me that it was already gone.....sold it for more than his asking price about an hour and a half ago. He tried with some bullshit excuses. After driving 90 minutes I just said yeah, thanks a lot, and peeled out of his driveway. People just have no honesty for a few bucks these days. Integrity is worth a few hundred. What an @sshole.

#2 10 years ago

That seems to be pretty standard for CL.....I would hate to be on your end of that....have heard it too often on this site. Cure, 13 ball multiball.

#3 10 years ago

I feel your pain. But you gotta remember its Craigslist, it's open to anyone... At least you didn't get lured to a motel, bound to a chair and become nothing more than a morning headline and a stain on the carpet.

Bright side man... Bright side.

#4 10 years ago

Man, to lose all of that time driving too - that sucks! What a bummer - here's hoping the next deal goes better...

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Yesterday afternoon an ad on Chicago CL came up for ID4 $1000. I called relatively quickly on the ad and talked to the owner of the machine. He told me it was priced @ $1k because the backbox had been damaged on one side and poorly repaired. The rest of the machine was described as perfect. He hadn't posted pictures yet but was on his way home to do so. I told him save your energy, I will take it. I have the cash and can be there at 8:30pm. He said OK it's yours and gave me his address. Well guess what? I get there and he pops out of his garage and tells me that it was already gone.....sold it for more than his asking price about an hour and a half ago. He tried with some bullshit excuses. After driving 90 minutes I just said yeah, thanks a lot, and peeled out of his driveway. People just have no honesty for a few bucks these days. Integrity is worth a few hundred. What an @sshole.

I made the attempt to make this pick as well but as I was typing I realized that there was no way this was going to go for that price and stopped myself from having a bad 90 minute day..sorry Jack

#6 10 years ago

Pretty much any CL add that's a deal requires you to drop everything you're doing...and get there ASAP.

Scheduling a time doesn't work

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I was the 1st person to contact him about the machine...so he says.

Talked on the phone for a while...seemed like a nice guy.

He said the machine was mine, if I wanted it. I told him I did. He said he'd send pics when he got home from work. Instead, I get an email saying it was sold for more that he was asking...

What an a$$hole!!!

The guy's name is Dan. He's located in Aurora.

Stay away from this loser!!!

#8 10 years ago

Yep, first person there usually wins. I'm not saying its right, its just how it tends to go. Most of the under priced CL games are listed by people who are not aware of their game's value. Within 30 minutes of the ad's appearance they are schooled by 15 different phone callers. This leads to a price change almost every time.
Terry.

#9 10 years ago

You're right Terry,

It's a shame it happens.

I bet this machine will be re-listed soon, by the buyer, for twice the price.

#10 10 years ago

Ahhhh, Dan in aurora. This explains everything. You gotta deal w Don in aurora. Don always gives a square deal. But Dan.... That guy's an @sshole!

#11 10 years ago

It will be back up on chicago craiglsist in a day or so. Probably from Moline , IL

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

It will be back up on chicago craiglsist in a day or so. Probably from Moline , IL

Wow, that helps. Did you loose out too? No pin for a modus operandi flip at 10x$.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Hey , I didn't buy shit, you are thinking of the Rock Island flipper Kevin. Get your cities straight

I don't flip the Machines I buy. That is why I have a grumpy wife.

#15 10 years ago

I called and talked to him too, he said first one there with cash gets it, and that was at 3:30 PM Eastern, I figured with nearly a 3 hour drive for me I had no chance so I just stayed put. He was nice enough to email me that it had sold and someone had already picked it up though.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I called and talked to him too, he said first one there with cash gets it, and that was at 3:30 PM Eastern, I figured with nearly a 3 hour drive for me I had no chance so I just stayed put. He was nice enough to email me that it had sold and someone had already picked it up though.

Jagoff NEVER said that to me.....told me "it's yours".

Yep, asshole!!!

#17 10 years ago

That is a very douchey thing for him to do. Screw that. I feel bad for you.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Jagoff NEVER said that to me.....told me "it's yours".

Yep, asshole!!!

Told me the same thing...

Yep 100% a$$hole

#19 10 years ago

Thought about trying on this too. Glad i dint. I agree its been rough on CL lately.

#20 10 years ago

What an asshole! If you tell someone "it's yours", and then they drive 90 minutes to your house, you better at least compensate them in some way. Time is money, not to mention the cost of gas. In my eyes, turning you away with nothing is akin to stealing.

#21 10 years ago

I was told first person who gets here gets it. I live 5-10 minutes from him. I decided it wasn't a game I wanted despite the price and passed on it. I probably would have been the person who got it seeing as though I would have been there at 5pm. I asked if he had 50 people on their way over to fight for it and he said there were four. Basically if someone says first one here gets it and it's farther than 30 mins away its not worth the bother.

#22 10 years ago

.... But yeah the its yours thing is bullshit.

#23 10 years ago

Considering he commited to it being yours and you drove all the way there, I would have asked for gas money plus some.

Assuming he would refuse...

He likley would have lost his mailbox on the way out of the driveway

#24 10 years ago

flip side...

how many times have you listed something on cl, had someone contact you, say they will be there with cash, and never show up?

sucks for the op... but realistically, it's the way it works...

#25 10 years ago

Ah man that totally sucks. Hopefully he'll get some bad juju sometime soon.

#26 10 years ago

I am the one who got it, saw it at 7:15 or so thought to myself there is no way that this is still available but called anyway. He said he had a lot of interest but first person there with cash gets it (he said he'd been flaked out on too many times in the past to hold it) he said one guy had called from Crystal Lake and we all know who that is so I grabbed 10 pieces of green paper and hit the road.

I have no intention of flipping this I will play it for a while if I like it Ill keep it if not Im hoping I can trade it to a friend who just bought 3 pins from me one of which I did not want to sell but had to to get the other two sold.

As for the seller to me he was great a nice guy selling a game in this area at a good price. I can see where anyone loosing out may see it differently and for the record I did not offer or pay more for this it was 1000 cash.

Jack if you are like me and looking for anything with a good price -better luck next time if it was a title that you have really been wanting and waiting to find one at a good price then PM me maybe we can work something out.

Steve

Quoted from Tsskinne:

3:30 PM Eastern, I figured with nearly a 3 hour drive for me I had no chance

you would have beat me

#27 10 years ago

Well, you have to realize that non-pinball folks have no idea. You wouldn't be able to convince the average Joe CL user that someone would drive 1000 or even 100 miles to buy a pinball they post for sale on their local CL site.

Some of it may be Craigslists and the media's fault actually...
The "avoid scams and fraud" link on the homepage goes to a list where the very FIRST item states:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Say you have a first time CL seller... If the first potential buyer is 300 miles away and says, "I will be there in 6 hours with the cash", it may prompt the seller to just say, "Sure, you show up, you can have it." After considering the call, maybe he rethought the situation remembering the CL page advising of scams and though-->Hmmm, "that guy probably won't even show and it could be a scam."

"First one to show up with $" would be just fine. However, to have multiple people drive long distances at the same time, I wonder how some people haven't been beaten to death yet with the things they pull sometimes.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Moline, IL wants an official apology.

#29 10 years ago

I think it's bullshit when people say "The first one who shows up with cash gets it". I understand why people do it, but it's still a shitty way to do business. In the case of the OP, however, he flat out said "It's yours". That's completely different. You can't screw the guy over after he's driven all that way because you led him to believe it was his.

#30 10 years ago

Sorry Moline, meant Rock Island, but they are still in the same area.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Sorry Moline, meant Rock Island, but they are still in the same area.

You've seen one Quad city, you've seen them all ...

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

I am the one who got it, saw it at 7:15 or so thought to myself there is no way that this is still available but called anyway. He said he had a lot of interest but first person there with cash gets it (he said he'd been flaked out on too many times in the past to hold it) he said one guy had called from Crystal Lake and we all know who that is so I grabbed 10 pieces of green paper and hit the road.
I have no intention of flipping this I will play it for a while if I like it Ill keep it if not Im hoping I can trade it to a friend who just bought 3 pins from me one of which I did not want to sell but had to to get the other two sold.
As for the seller to me he was great a nice guy selling a game in this area at a good price. I can see where anyone loosing out may see it differently and for the record I did not offer or pay more for this it was 1000 cash.
Jack if you are like me and looking for anything with a good price -better luck next time if it was a title that you have really been wanting and waiting to find one at a good price then PM me maybe we can work something out.
Steve

you would have beat me

Since he sold it to you for the same $1000, he is a total f*&king asshole. He told me some guy came over and bought it for WAY more than he was asking.

I was the guy coming from Crystal Lake , NOT Mr. Adventurous Arcade story guy. He would have had his wife call the guy and tell him she was 6 months pregnant , barefoot, broke, and she needed this as a special gift for her husband, and then ask would you take $400 for it?

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity edited - can't say that, even if it is true

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Since he sold it to you for the same $1000, he is a total f*&king asshole. He told me some guy came over and bought it for WAY more than he was asking.
I was the guy coming from Crystal Lake , NOT Mr. Adventurous Arcade story guy. He would have had his wife call the guy and tell him she was 6 months pregnant , barefoot, broke, and she needed this as a special gift for her husband, and then ask would you take $400 for it?

I get that you got "Craigslisted", but do you love ID4 so much that this is eating you apart? The buyer offered to work a deal with you, so you can still get the pin, which is a win-win....

Post edited by absocountry2 : Profanity in quote edited

#34 10 years ago

I'm in line for a TFTC this week, and that would have eaten up those funds, so since it wasn't a sure thing didn't want to risk, hope its fun, never played it but it looks like entertaining layout.

#35 10 years ago

All the seller needed to do was say the same thing to everyone, "first come, first served"

I am completely fine with that reply. It allows a buyer to either haul ass of say screw it.
The problem is commiting to someone and then balking. Not cool.

Steve did nothing wrong in his purchase and glad to see he got it for exactly asking price!
Glad you were able to get it Steve!!! Let me know if you want to sell any of your other recent purchases You really have shook up your collection recently!

#36 10 years ago

I would of called before I left about halfway there and 10 minutes out to make sure the guy knew I was serious.....I have done it.

#37 10 years ago

Welcome to CL. Had it happen to me multiple times. After driving in LA traffic for two hours had the guy say someone offered him an extra 50 bucks so he took it.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

All the seller needed to do was say the same thing to everyone, "first come, first served"
I am completely fine with that reply. It allows a buyer to either haul ass of say screw it.
The problem is commiting to someone and then balking. Not cool.
Steve did nothing wrong in his purchase and glad to see he got it for exactly asking price!
Glad you were able to get it Steve!!! Let me know if you want to sell any of your other recent purchases You really have shook up your collection recently!

Not mad at Steve at all. Actually a pretty stand up guy to come on here say he was the one who got it. Steve GOT the deal, and did nothing wrong.

Kinda got a space theme going on at home with and thought a ID4 would have been cool to have. Steve got it, it's his, and I am not going to pry away from him.

#39 10 years ago

And this is precisely why I neither buy nor sell pins on CL ...

#40 10 years ago

Ahhh poop! I called this guy too. I called at about 3:00pm. Seemed like an ok fellow. He told me that it was first come first served and that he had a few other guys coming, but that none of them could have been there before 8:30pm. If I wanted it then and there, it was all mine.

I should have gone right then. Would have been there first one there by a few hours. It's just that the wife and I are temporarily living with my parents and there's no room left in this house for anything. My dumb logic had to screw me over. Looking around now, there are literally boxes stacked to the ceiling of this house, so it just wouldn't be fair of me to bring another pin into this place right now. So I thought, maybe someone here will score this one. Glad to hear it went to fellow Pinsider!

To the OP, man I feel your pain, but CL is all about being first. When he told me he had a guy coming at 8:30 I instantly felt bad for "that guy", because he'll be the guy wasting his time and gas. Ain't no $1,000 ID4 gonna wait around more than a couple of hours for ANYBODY round here. I would have been afraid of wasting my gas having to drive an hour to get it in the early afternoon, even with assurances that I was the only one coming.

The good thing is when pins like this stay within this community, it seems like when people get sick of them, there's a better chance they'll eventually let them go for a fair price. Better it went to a player like Steve than to a flipper, I say.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

Ahhh poop! I called this guy too. I called at about 3:00pm. Seemed like an ok fellow. He told me that it was first come first served and that he had a few other guys coming, but that none of them could have been there before 8:30pm. If I wanted it then and there, it was all mine.
I should have gone right then. Would have been there first one there by a few hours. It's just that the wife and I are temporarily living with my parents and there's no room left in this house for anything. My dumb logic had to screw me over. Looking around now, there are literally boxes stacked to the ceiling of this house, so it just wouldn't be fair of me to bring another pin into this place right now. So I thought, maybe someone here will score this one. Glad to hear it went to fellow Pinsider!

Just curious as to why you called the guy. You said that you are living with parents and have no room for the machine. Reason i ask this as i am a seller myself, and its such a pain in the ass when someone calls, takes up your time, to find out that they either cant even afford the machine, or like you say, dont have space for it. I just never understand why people will waste someone elses time if they are not capable of following through.

#43 10 years ago

I've scored several good deals on CL. Only run into jerks or shiesters about 10% of the time. Often times you can tell from the ad who's who. Sorry you got screwed. That seller is a mega douche.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I was the guy coming from Crystal Lake , NOT Mr. Adventurous Arcade story guy.

Glad I didn't know this last night, you have no idea how good I slept thinking that I beat him out.

#45 10 years ago

I would have been there at 5 so i totally could have got this but since it wasn't one I had a ton of interest in I passed on going. You're welcome Steve lol

That's crappy driving all that way. That happened to me on my very first attempt at a SS game on CL. I drove two hours away into the middle of nowhere to have my calls ignored when I got there. Luckily that left me open to getting Secret Service from you a few days later!

#46 10 years ago

Since it was so close I was tempted to go check it out, decided not too because I would have ended up with another pin (I can't stop myself) and I am trying to save the cash/space for a HS/HS II. Lots of competition getting good pins in the area just looking at the cities in this string!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Just curious as to why you called the guy. You said that you are living with parents and have no room for the machine. Reason i ask this as i am a seller myself, and its such a pain in the ass when someone calls, takes up your time, to find out that they either cant even afford the machine, or like you say, dont have space for it. I just never understand why people will waste someone elses time if they are not capable of following through.

Well, there's a very simple answer for that: He was very vague on condition. I asked him, and he gave me no specifics. All he could tell me was "I buy em and fix em and sell em when I get bored of em". The OP here said that the backbox had been damaged. The seller didn't tell me that. There were no pics in the ad, so basically I wanted the guy to tell me that it was a beautiful game that I couldn't pass up or at least a decent player quality game for a good price. If he'd have been more forthcoming with details, I probably would have pulled the trigger and stacked the game on the damn dining room table. But...with him dodging questions of condition, it made it easy to convince myself to stay home.

Damn...now I'm starting to regret not going. I love that movie. The part where Bill Pullman gives the Independence Day speech before they launch their fighter jet attack...awesome.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

What I wanna know is why you are judging PurpleTophat for inquiring on a CL ad? Because you get annoyed by having to deal with potential customers? Really?

#49 10 years ago

Yep, shoulda stacked it on the damn dining room table...

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Glad I didn't know this last night, you have no idea how good I slept thinking that I beat him out.

Funny story about Mr. Adventure....... A couple of years ago I went to a garage sale on a generic ad for a pinball machine. I got there and the lady said "Oh , are you the one who called?" I said I tried , she then walked me downstairs to a HUO Al's Garage Band World Tour. She said $350 right? I said OK I'll take it. She then asks about my wife. I quickly figure out that she thinks I am someone else. I ask a few questions and find out that a "pregnant/sick wife" is buying the machine for her husband and he was coming to pick it up. She thought I was the husband. I told her that I was not him, and please call me back if the guy does not show. She let it slip that the guy's name was Jeff, and when I said Jack, she thought she heard Jeff. Putting 2 + 2 together on my ride home I figured it was Mr. Adventure and sure enough, the very next day it was at his warehouse because he was bragging about it. And sure enough, 6 months later he was asking $3500 for it because he took it in on a "local trade". I think it was at MGC this year, shut off with a $2500 price tag on it.

Story is, I could have walked out with that machine, but backed off because the owner had already made a deal and mistook my identity. If I had known who it was she made the deal with, I would have told her what liars they were and all about his business practices. If she wanted to sell it to me then, I would have took it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, VA
$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-cl-rant-id4-1000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.