• Latest reply 9 months ago by Niterider
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cactus Canyon 1.gif
#1 11 months ago

Is there anyone who has actually received some help from Chicago Gaming recently?

We bought a Cactus Canyon around October of last year and...to put it nicely...it's been a nightmare machine. Out of the box it had random switch issues that would randomly just go nuts and blow up the player's scores without the ball actually hitting anything. Usually an employee would power cycle the machine and that would clear it up and then when I would try to troubleshoot it, I'd find a random switch that possibly just needed a little tweak.
So I just thought some of the switches were a little too tight from the factory and as the machine got some play they just needed some adjustments.

But the reports of ongoing random switch issues continued.

Then the first "Bad Guy" drop target locked up it's little coil that knocked the target back down and it blew the fuse under the playfield. I contact CGC, I'm told our machine was the first to have this issue and they sent me a new drop target mech and I sent the old one back for them to look at it.

And just about a month or so passes and as I'm trying to diagnose more reports of switch issues/scores just blowing up on it's own and I find the same drop target coil on the new mech has also locked up and the playfield fuse has blown again.

I put another ticket in and I get a couple of troubleshooting tips from a tech who is also a member here, but the machine has pretty much descended an unplayable mess as the wild switch issue has become more consistent.

I run down each switch that seems to randomly "machine gun" faster than humanly possible and eventually I think I have narrowed it down to the network cable that connects to the main board under the playfield. If I wiggle that cable at that connection, I can get the switch issue to start and stop. Unfortunately, if I get it to where the issue stops, shortly after I close the machine back up it just starts all over again.

I've attached a gif shows the score blowing up, but the ball isn't moving at all.

This video shows a random switch that was machine gunning, but if I triggered the switch manually, it would stop until I let go of the switch and then it went right back to machine gunning. https://imgur.com/a/TpKOJWd

I've even had multiple switches machine gun at the same time! https://imgur.com/uA2vd3g

I don't know what else to do.
Cactus Canyon 1.gifCactus Canyon 1.gif

#2 11 months ago

I believe Lloyd is helping with CCG tech support. Have you compiled your tickets and notes and reached out to him? LTG

#3 11 months ago

Seems easy enough to locate some switch issues in the switch tests. Some easy to identify such as:
Stand up targets more sensitive than others when you press with your finger or rubbers that are too tight so you can pull the rubber forward and see which ones stop the continuous scoring during game play.

#4 11 months ago

They will make it right but not always very fast at getting back or responding to tickets. LTG is usually the best contact he can also follow up with Chicago and reference your ticket.

#5 11 months ago

Seems like you've already identified the problem.. The network cable. Why not just replace it and see if that clears up the issue? You don't need to wait for CGC. Just get a Cat 5 or 6 network cable from any electronics store and try it.

#6 11 months ago

LTG was the one who I was talking to. He’s helped me as much as he could and then he referred the ticket up the chain….but then I haven’t heard from anyone since.

There isn’t anything physically wrong with the switches. I’ve even replaced some thinking maybe there was some issue with them. Cherry switches, optos, they all have shown up rapid firing.

I did already try a different network cable. It didn’t make any difference. I think it’s the connection port on the main board under the playfield.

#7 11 months ago

Leaf switches that are not gapped properly? Vibration makes the switch? Which ones are scoring switches? Also, have you re-loaded the software?

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from Niterider:

I did already try a different network cable. It didn’t make any difference. I think it’s the connection port on the main board under the playfield.

Sounds like you need a new board. Have you tried calling CGC?

#9 11 months ago

it sounds like your switch issue is an intermittent connection on the ball sensor PCB (the little square board under the playfield you referenced). Go into switch test, lift the playfield up and down several times to create vibration, and watch to see which sensors rapid-fire. then remove their associated cable from the board, gently spread the pins wider (either w a very small flathead screwdriver, or even your fingernail if you can), and then plug it back in.

#10 11 months ago

I'm so sorry that you are having problems.

Admittedly, I've got a dog in this race, I'm a pinball retail sales guy.

But your experience is something I feel very strongly about.

People who sell you a pinball without making sure you have the ability to get it properly serviced are basically sending you up the river without a paddle.

Far too often I hear stories like yours... you spend quite a bit of money and then find that your problems are really hard.

So, while this is a challenging situation, a couple of things.

I would tell anybody, make sure you have a path to getting your pinball fixed before you buy it. It's not going to be much fun if it's not working.

So, find a local pinball service guy. For vast areas in the US, the nearest pinball service technician is 400 miles away, and has a six month backlog before he can service you, but find that guy.

Pinballs break, they break a lot. Usually they break in ways that are easy to fix. Frequently they break in ways that require specialty or hard to obtain parts. Rarely, but often enough that you should take note, they break in a way that requires a technician to fix.

A while back I got eight brand new pinballs in the box. Six of them had problems. Two of them were broken in a way that the average homeowner would have found very hard to fix. Recent machines are the same way. They MOSTLY will have problems out of the box, and about 10-20% will have problems that are hard for a homeowner to fix.

While this is self-serving, I live in this world, and I would say you should make your next pinball purchase from a retailer who will unbox the machine, fix anything that is wrong with it, deliver and set it up properly, tweak it for best performance (proper playfield pitch, outlane posts adjusted, a few settings changed), and extend the warranty (preferably to 1 year parts and labor) and because they sold it to you, they've got some skin in the game and they might be able to service the machine in the future.

For this machine, I'm very sorry you are facing this. There is a good chance if you are a capable mechanic that you could be guided on how to fix your own problems here... but no matter what, find your local pinball service guy for the problems in the future you might have.

If you are going to fix this all yourself, we can help you with that. Yeah, replace the network cable, but it's possible the 'fingers' (small springy wires) in the network cable socket (jack) aren't perfect... sometimes they can be bent into alignment. The network cable jack could also have less than perfect solder. I've replaced a couple dozen cat5 jacks on circuit boards, so the jacks can be suspect.

And of course the best troubleshooting method is to test the suspect part in a known good system. So if you can take your suspect boards/cables to a working machine and swap them in and test them one by one that makes troubleshooting much easier.

Intermittent and randomly occurring problems are the hardest to fix. The troubleshooting needs to proceed by narrowing the problem to a section of the game (everything associated with a particular board, for example) and then narrowing it further (not the switches themselves, seems to be board or cable related), and then test and eventual replacement or fixing of the actual problem.

Keep working with Chicago Gaming... the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hopefully they'll be able to send you some parts that you can swap in to try to resolve your problem. Testing by putting known good parts into a suspect system isn't the best troubleshooting method, but hey! Whatever works!

Good luck!

#11 11 months ago

Well dosen't this just suck ...
Always some issues with new games but no support certainly takes the fun out of experience...
Hope it gets resolved soon

#12 11 months ago

I would imagine that coil locking on is switch related as well and will be fixed when the matrix issue is resolved.

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

it sounds like your switch issue is an intermittent connection on the ball sensor PCB (the little square board under the playfield you referenced). Go into switch test, lift the playfield up and down several times to create vibration, and watch to see which sensors rapid-fire. then remove their associated cable from the board, gently spread the pins wider (either w a very small flathead screwdriver, or even your fingernail if you can), and then plug it back in.

That was one of the troubleshooting steps that LTG suggested. Those sensors are not the issue. I do thin that on one event one of them was rapid firing, but so have some of the mechanical and optic switches.

#14 11 months ago

I’ve owned and worked on 90’s Bally/Williams for 20 years now. I’m currently doing a full playfield swap on a Firepower. I’m also one of the owners of the Bank of Pinball in Terre Haute. (this is also where this machine is located) For the most part, I can troubleshoot most issues.

If this was an original CC, I wouldn’t have had any issue tracking down any switch issue in the switch matrix. But with this remake, there actually isn’t a switch matrix. Most of the switches have their own individual connection to that main board under the playfield.

At this point, I had a better response from Pinball Brothers when the SSD in our Alien machine cratered. They had me verify a couple of things, and then they just sent me a replacement SSD. As for Jersey Jack, Stern, American Pinball and Spooky…a few adjustments here and there and those machines came out of their boxes and played fine. This Cactus Canyon…is driving me insane.

#15 11 months ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Leaf switches that are not gapped properly?

Looks like a sensor issue.

Quoted from Niterider:

LTG was the one who I was talking to.

Please PM me the ticket number. I'll notify them. I've seen a couple new names in there and they are grinding through issues quicker.

Thank you,
LTG : )

#16 11 months ago

On a side note Cgaming games sure seem well built and reliable from the ones I've worked on.

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

On a side note Cgaming games sure seem well built and reliable from the ones I've worked on.

We have a Monster Bash that has been running fine. Just the usual adjustments and the occasional tightening of items that shake loose.

This Cactus Canyon is just possessed.

2 months later
#18 9 months ago

Update.

Two replacement playfield boards later and Cactus Canyon is finally working without any issues. The original board had some sort of intermittent connection issue with the network port. The first replacement board instantly eliminated that issue, but presented a new problem when one of the bad guy targets would never register when it was down.
The second replacement board has so far worked perfectly.

So at this time everything is good.

We may even take it to Gencon next week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Trade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, CT
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Arlington Heights, IL
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chiago-gaming-support and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.