(Topic ID: 105402)

Cherry Switch - can they be taken apart?

By Chet

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chet
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dam.jpg
    drem.jpg
    cherry switch.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I would like to replace the actuator arm on this Cherry switch to an out-hole rounded style actuator arm. Can these switch be taken apart to replace the actuator arm? If so, how to go about it?
    Thanks

cherry switch.jpgcherry switch.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Not likely. It is probably glued/fused/melted together around the edges. You will probably destroy it in the attempt. But, hey what have you got to lose?

Is the actuator long enough to bend into a rounded type?

#3 9 years ago

If you want to completely break it yes. Better to just get a replacement with the correct actuator. I have taken one apart before and while I did get it working again it was a complete pain in the ass to get back together... Smallest spring I have ever seen in my life attached to a tiny rocking plate coupled with a now mangled case. Ya, buy a new one..

#4 9 years ago

For bad switches that need to be cleaned:

I had to do all mine for Space Shuttle soaked in ocean salt water. Just drill out rivet open side and hit contact with dremel brass brush #537.
    worked great for me. Mounting screws will hold switch together. Take your time and save one intact to use as a template if spring pops out. Tool also works great for cleaning corroded light sockets.

dam.jpgdam.jpg

#5 9 years ago

yes. I do it frequently. don't take it all the way apart tho. with a flatblade jewlers screwdriver, gently pry it apart near where the tabs of lever are held. just enough to work it free and to guide the new one in. press it back together and and will be great.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have an old one that I thought I would try it on, just to see if it is feasible.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cherry-switch-can-they-be-taken-apart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.