cherry_004.JPG
cherry_001.JPG
leaves_e0.gif
cherry_004.JPG
cherry_003.JPG
cherry_002.JPG
cherry_001.JPG
#1 14 years ago

I just picked up this beauty today for a steal, was instantly shocked at the nice condition. Cab is literally near perfect, thing has only 14k plays on it and it shows. A fine layer of dust coats the whole thing, a little novus and she will shine so nice. Also someone cut the wires from the backbox literally 1 inch from the pin connector (they did not know there was a connector..) so I have to splice every wire back. Well worth it to bring this beauty back to life though, just look at those plastics! A cherry bell indeed.

cherry_001.JPGcherry_001.JPG cherry_002.JPGcherry_002.JPG cherry_003.JPGcherry_003.JPG cherry_004.JPGcherry_004.JPG

#2 14 years ago

Wow what a great deal,
I'd love to take a look inside that Sonic EM just to see how it sets up.
great find Maldoror

#3 14 years ago

Quick poll: Which would you rather have in your gameroom? A used, good condition "Cherry Bell" or a brand new "Big Buck Hunter Pro"?

(I think I know how Brokedad is going to vote on this one, based on the backglass art alone! )

#4 14 years ago

Very nice find indeed, those colors are as vibrant as they must have been from the factory! Good luck restoring her!

#5 14 years ago

Nice game!! 14,000 is not too much playtime as my freedom machine has over 42,000 plays on it and it plays great with only some moderate play field wear, and it was most likely on the circuit for years.

#6 14 years ago

Stupendous find !! For that kind of money even I wouldn't pass up an EM.
Good luck with that wiring harness. Hopefully all the wires are color coded differently.

(BTW I'd be one of those guys at the stage staring you know where )

#7 14 years ago

I'll send you guys some more pics when it's done.

Thanks for the comments, glad you guys like it.

Just a quick tip I just learned myself. Do not strip old style cloth wires of insulation to splice them, it is a pain in the ass. Just slide the cloth insulation back, make the solder and then slide the insulation back over the solder joint.

You likely already knew this, but I didn't and it saved me alot of time when I found out.

#8 14 years ago

A lighter works well too to just burn away a little cloth. I normally slide a piece of heat shrink tubing down one wire, solder, and then pull it back over the connection and use the lighter again to shrink it tight. A heat gun is the proper tool but I'm usually too lazy to find it and plug it in.

#9 14 years ago

thanks for the tip B.D. I will try it. I still have a good bit of wiring to splice.

a lighter is a better tool anyhow, it fits in your pocket and you can use it to light your J's as you work. A true multitool.

#10 14 years ago

maldoror Quote : "a lighter is a better tool anyhow, it fits in your pocket and you can use it to light your J's as you work. A true multitool."

leaves_e0.gifleaves_e0.gif

#11 14 years ago

Just finished splicing all the wires back, thanks for the tip B.D. it saved me some time.

Anyways, spent most of the evening getting it up and running, and the first cleaning. She works and plays PERFECTLY. What a find this thing was, I can tell already it will be one of my favorite pins in my collection for a long time to come.

Some more pics, sorry for the crappy quality, it's late and they are taken on my iphone.

regards

cherry_001.JPGcherry_001.JPG cherry_004.JPGcherry_004.JPG cherry_005.JPGcherry_005.JPG cherry_006.JPGcherry_006.JPG

#12 14 years ago

It looks AMAZING !!!
The condition of the backglass and playfield is extra super for something that age. I'm jealous. You got a definite once in a lifetime bargain with that one.

1 week later
#13 14 years ago

Love the bloke in the red hat at the stage having a wonderful perve, lol...

#14 14 years ago

Yea, I love the backglass on this machine that guys eyes are lookin at only one thing haha. The cherry bell has quickly become my most prized pin in a very short time, I am going to clean it extra super nice and take it to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown in April, I am hoping it can win the "best EM" ribbon, or at least be a contender. Sonic made some really fun pins, and they are built really solid. An underrated pin maker for sure.

#15 14 years ago

That's nice. And to think you only had to resplice one connecter.

#16 14 years ago

You know 'Cherry Bell 'was the last EM Segasa made before they went solid state and died. I had a chance a couple of years back on a 'Butterfly' but passed on it,
However if I ever come across a 'Mars Trek' or that far out looking 'Faces' I'd buy one.
-Nice game

#17 14 years ago

Autumnfade, interesting fact I did not know. I figured that since it was a 77 and an EM it had to be one of the very last EM's made in any number from really any manufacturer? I may be wrong on that though, but I know Williams was switched over to SS by this point so I assume Gottlieb was not to far behind. Anyways back to sonics, I love the mars trek of course for a popular sonic but I am really interested in a prospector or a faces as you mention. That "faces" is just so out there with the art you gotta love it.

it is weird I have come across 2 sonics (super strait and now this cherry bell) in 4 months time. Both cost me the same price ($140) and are wonderful EM's. The playfield durability on these is the best in the industry of the period bar none. Even the super straight which was more worn and played than this mint cherry bell was still near perfect on the playfield surface.

Crappy cabs though, good art but poor "wood" choice. It is cheap ass particle board or whatever the european standard for particle board was back then. It sucks, and is fragile as hell. Shame because they put good art on the sides, that's why I love that cherry bell so much, not only the playfield nice (common for a sonic) but the cab is cherry (rare for a sonic). If you are ever in Colorado a.f. you are welcome to stop by and play it and talk shop.

regards

3 years later
#18 11 years ago

I got one in a package deal and gave it up without plugging it in.

#19 11 years ago

Yup those Sonics are built to last. CB was one of my very first games that I bought at a garage sale for like $100 back in the day. You cant wear those playfields out, it will last forever.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek ,MI.
269-979-3836

#20 11 years ago

I still have a cherry bell. I like it a lot, nice change of pace from cookie cutters. Some People don't realize but it's all Williams em parts. I mean just the backglass artwork is worth owning.

#22 11 years ago

I used to have one. Best backglass ever. Gameplay kind of meh on this one though.

#23 11 years ago

nope. miss world has the best Backglass ever.

#24 11 years ago

I picked one up a few years back in mint shape also for around 125.00
the only thing I hated about them was the fiber board cabinets heavy as hell and don't take bumps well.
mine was serial number 44

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q593/pin_ball/cherrybell_zps5d18470c.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cherry-bell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.