5 days ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by DennisDodel
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 days ago

I’m old enough to remember this, although I was only 15 at the time.

It’s well done in Docudrama style.
    There is a companion podcast that drops each Monday night after the episode.

https://www.hbo.com/chernobyl

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pineapple-street-media/the-chernobyl-podcast

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

It’s interesting that my high school kids know lots of facts about the disaster, but have no context or frame of reference about the culture of the U.S.S.R.

#2 5 days ago

I am loving this show. Last night's episode was excellent. Stellen Skarsgard and Jared Harris are excellent.

The shear magnitude of this disaster is horrifying.

#3 5 days ago

The show is fantastic. I was 12 when the disaster happened. I am Ukrainian on my mother's side of the family and I can still remember how upset my grandmother was because we had family in or around Pripyat. I think the show has done an amazing job portraying the scope of both the disaster and the government deception and mismanagement.

#4 5 days ago

Some of the numbers coming out of the show are staggering....

"How much Boron/Sand do we need? Around 5000 Tons...."

I was a sophomore in college when this happened. I can remember my chemistry professor pausing a day from the regular curriculum to discuss isotopes like Uranium 235.

#5 5 days ago

I heard about it this morning on talk radio, I will be searching it out!

#6 5 days ago

The production value is top notch. I bet it costs a lot to make this show, and not a penny wasted.

#7 5 days ago

I ordered HBO so I could see the last season of GOT. Now I have to keep it till Chernobyl is over. Show is done very well and I’m hooked. Really shows how backwards for lack of a better word that Russia was. That accident was so much more terrifying than all of us knew.

#8 5 days ago

I am actually very educated on Chernobyl. Sad event. I have a book on it from a photographer that was first on the scene by helicopter. He survived and only one of his few cameras somehow worked. Igor Kostin.

#9 5 days ago

I plan on watching the series once I finish re-watching HBO’s Deadwood in anticipation of Deadwood movie. I think HBO has the best programming of any network including Netflix.

#10 5 days ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

I plan on watching the series once I finish re-watching HBO’s Deadwood in anticipation of Deadwood movie. I think HBO has the best programming of any network including Netflix.

Same here. I am in the middle of Season 3 and forgot how good of show Deadwood was. Cocksucker !!!

#11 5 days ago

Caught an episode last night, very well done! I kept saying I'll go to bed soon and soon was when the episode was done. I'm hooked.

#12 4 days ago

As a 46 year old physicist with a 48 year old brother that is a nuclear engineer, we have been studying the failures at Chernobyl for years now. Reading books, watching documentaries, researching online what went wrong, and so on. We are both totally intrigued by the HBO miniseries. The acting, story line, sets, factual information, and everything else are superb. I remember sitting in my middle school science class the day the US media released the story. My science teacher came out and said all of our lives would be cut short to a degree due to the disaster. I found that statement amazing and that paired up with a few other events in my life made me choose math and science as a major and career.

#13 4 days ago

It's amazing how the plant personnel denied everything. Like if they wouldn't accept the problem then they magically didn't happen or would just go away.

I find it fascinating that all of Gorbachev's yes men were telling him that there was nothing to worry about, but he listened to the one guy that actually spoke the truth of the situation. Makes me wonder if our current administration in the U.S. would listen that one lone person.

#14 4 days ago

The series is absolutely jaw dropping so far. Its so gripping. HBO has done excellent job recreating the event....and how horrifying and tragic this was.

#15 4 days ago

Watching that episode, I could not help but think about the Russian space agency. Were there possibly cosmonaut deaths that were never reported???

#16 4 days ago

Incredible show so far. I hope it make some people think about just what lengths humans will go to and risk to provide energy for people's comfort.

I had a former employee (I am an environmental chemist) that actual went to Chernobyl 3 times over the course of 18 months to help with heavy metals testing. He has had cancer twice already. He spent limited time on site with full hazmat suites.

#17 4 days ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Watching that episode, I could not help but think about the Russian space agency. Were there possibly cosmonaut deaths that were never reported???

Warning, most of this is not pretty. Viewer discretion is advised.

Wish I had HBO to watch this. As horrific as Chernobyl was, the story is a fascinating one.

#18 4 days ago

Loving it so far..... and the way they 'faded to black' at the end of last nights episode.... very dramatic ending.

#19 4 days ago

Great show, very eerie to watch when you see the first responders and you know there fate, its crazy how un-educated the workers working there were.

#20 4 days ago

So far a fantastic series! Very well written with great effects. (if you don't know they're effects...they're great)!
    I seem to remember another movie or special about this

#21 4 days ago

you guys have me psyched to start watching... thanks for the heads up!

#22 4 days ago

Fantastic writing, pacing and cinematography paired with a phenomenal cast - just a brilliant show. Makes me all warm and fuzzy to live so close to a nuclear power plant.

#23 4 days ago

Agree with all the above. Great show so far.

#24 4 days ago

Fantastic show and too bad there were only 5 episode made. Interesting that the filming was done at the Ignalina decommissioned Nuclear plant in Lithuania sometimes referred as "Chernobyl's sister both RBMK reactors

#25 4 days ago

I was hooked after the kitchen scene with the woman talking on the phone in the first episode. After the flash in the distance I was waiting for the shock wave but did not think it would be that extreme.

Reminded me of the scene in the movie 'The Day After' where the woman was looking out her bedroom window as an ICBM comes blasting out of a missile silo almost in her back yard. Scary shit.

#26 4 days ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I was hooked after the kitchen scene with the woman talking on the phone in the first episode. After the flash in the distance I was waiting for the shock wave but did not think it would be that extreme.
    Reminded me of the scene in the movie 'The Day After' where the woman was looking out her bedroom window as an ICBM comes blasting out of a missile silo almost in her back yard. Scary shit.

Starts about 3:10.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 50.00
    $ 59.00
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 14.95
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside