Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MJW
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Friend has a lead on checkpoint and was asking me the value of it. He has never owned or purchased a pin before, but has recently got into "picking". I told him it depends on condition. But what do these normally go for in good working condition? $1000?

Also, what typical problems should we (provided I go with him to check it out) keep an eye out for with this title?

#2 9 years ago

To me, the biggest problem with this game is that it's a "one shot" game. Looping the ramp is the answer to just about everything. Even Earthshaker encourages more shot variance, and it's known for players wanting to loop the center ramp over and over and over again...

As far as actual technical problems, make sure the speed sensor on the ramp works properly. Otherwise the game will get really boring really quick. Beyond that I defer to anyone else willing to answer.

#3 9 years ago

I own one. I know it is a "1" shot game, it technically isn't but there is one shot to make big points, the ramp. I LOVE cars, racing and Porsche's. That is why I finally got one.

The pf with age, probably has those hair line cracks in it.
The ramp will be cracked or missing where the ball ejects out of the scoop in the rear left.
Fading on the cab, pf and backglass of the red/pink color.
Check for battery acid leaking, mine has it, fixed but looks horrid.
The speed sensor is really just 2 switches on different places on the ramp.

Now days, if everything is in good shape you could go 800-1000, if things are broke etc lower, but a minty one...mmm that could go 1200+ I would assume. The last couple that sold around these parts were like 800 isssshhh I think.

#4 9 years ago

Make sure the checkered flag target that pops up from under the playfield works. It gets out of adjustment frequently and does not work properly. This game came with a shaker so also check to make sure it is working. This is the first game ever with a DMD . Unfortunately it is smaller than a standard DMD and can be hard to find. Make sure it is working with no problems. Replacement ramps are unavailable currently but a couple people are considering making them. I agree with Northvibes prices. I own a 944 turbo so I had to have the game. It has been very reliable. Sound is very good for a stock game. Use nvram on mpu to replace batteries, it just pops in , no soldering.

#5 9 years ago

Oh yeah the tiny dmd...ugh, deff make sure that works, or you'll be spending some bucks to replace it.

#6 9 years ago

I recently purchased a Checkpoint at auction.
RAMP has to be the top concern. If it's not screwed up then you are laughing. (I myself am waiting for a repro as mine is duct taped from the underside)
Another thing to do is lift the playfield and have a look at the flipper assemblies. Some are stock and others (like mine) have the 'ultimate flipper' installed. Not a big deal but also not going to be covered in the stock manual. Also have a peek at the coils, especially the kicker above the flippers (make sure to check the bracket on this part for cracking and wear as well). These are the ones that seem to be the problem in my machine. The thumper bumpers can get a good workout if the ball spends some time bouncing between the top left thumper bumper and the rubber to the left of it. It may cause some heat issues down the wiring line to the coils further along (like the kickers) mine had a melted coil and there's no way that was caused by normal play. Original coils are all but gone so expect to be using other company coils (there are compatibility charts out there).
I have read some horror stories about the amount of room behind the drop targets and the damage that can happen to the targets.
There are some great sites for the usual DMD problems and mine had a blown R95 resistor that was easy to fix and kept the cost at auction down.
The ramp may be the big draw/one trick, but there are plenty of ways to get the RPM to redline without the ramp. I have yet to complete the 4 hit combo shot.
All in all a fun game to play without a overly complex rule set. It's certainly making my High Speed jealous.

#7 9 years ago

Future or current owners check out thread checkpoint club and mod ideas.

#8 9 years ago

Common problem I have seen is burnt general illumination connectors.

#9 9 years ago

Oh...the key start missing

#10 9 years ago

The auto-launch (Turbo Boost )if still original was a bad design ! But with some new Stern parts - it can work great again.

#11 9 years ago

Oh yeah, there was a guide on the wiki I think for the change.

#12 9 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Common problem I have seen is burnt general illumination connectors.

Good advice. I forgot I had to replace my connector also . It was crispy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint-value-and-typical-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.