autoplunger 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231009_235524235 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231009_234912756 (resized).jpg
Pinside_market_154791_16 (resized).jpg
02869246-E252-4368-A27A-524A50B1FBA6 (resized).jpeg
2023-04-01 10.14.15 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.34 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.25 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#356 5 years ago

Hey pinheads and fellow Checkpoint owners!
I’ve finally dove back in to restoring this Checkpoint I bought a while back that I understand passed through the sanctum before reaching me. This horribly disfigured Checkpoint was at one point re-themed by some real estate company and apparently used for promos and in the office.

To be honest this game needs a bit of EVERYTHING, and I’m severely overwhelmed and not sure how to start attacking this properly.

My best guess is to try and stabilize the playfield which has all these overlapping layers of Mylar?? It’s very weird and I’m not sure if I should rip them up and ruin the paint (which has already bubbled and peeled beneath the Mylar) or if I should leave it?
The mechs have been hacked quite a bit under the playfield and plenty of flashers and coils don’t even register.

Here’s what the playfield looks like, and I’d really appreciate some beginner tips on how I can make this into at least a decent player. I’m really not looking to make this into a HEP, as this will be my first foray into a location pin. I just want to take it from parts to a player!

Any and all help appreciated.

0F110CF0-984C-43AE-AB34-68E315D33463 (resized).jpeg0F110CF0-984C-43AE-AB34-68E315D33463 (resized).jpeg0F40138A-D5CC-4A26-AC67-4E08FB4BB2BB (resized).jpeg0F40138A-D5CC-4A26-AC67-4E08FB4BB2BB (resized).jpeg3BFFCD4A-065A-465B-9D81-2F1E3463FC5D (resized).jpeg3BFFCD4A-065A-465B-9D81-2F1E3463FC5D (resized).jpeg67ABB001-FDB2-428B-A9A6-3CA131DFF5ED (resized).jpeg67ABB001-FDB2-428B-A9A6-3CA131DFF5ED (resized).jpeg6B125D0F-C702-4A2F-A066-577972845A86 (resized).jpeg6B125D0F-C702-4A2F-A066-577972845A86 (resized).jpeg704957A6-F49C-488B-A545-211C489241EF (resized).jpeg704957A6-F49C-488B-A545-211C489241EF (resized).jpeg7E335BDA-BDFD-475D-BB13-6BDBF59B28CF (resized).jpeg7E335BDA-BDFD-475D-BB13-6BDBF59B28CF (resized).jpegD8FA7BF5-53EE-4FAA-A90B-2167FE40F4D4 (resized).jpegD8FA7BF5-53EE-4FAA-A90B-2167FE40F4D4 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Anyone here willing to scan the cabinet art for me? I picked up a big project CP last weekend and the whole cab is painted solid black. I have the scanner but no artwork to scan. I'm sure I can get some decals made if I have the art.
Hopefully when I get out of all the back logged work for other I can tear into this restore and post here more often.

It's on legs. Fixing the driver board first and have a lead on decent cab to scan and have decals made.
Game appears it was rethemed at some point. Few cars bolted to the game with THP properties written on them. Two Plymouth prowlers and a hummer. All of the plastics have little bits of vinyl stuck under them still like the plastics we covered with a vinyl stick to retheme it and then just pulled off without removing all the mounting screws. The game is full Mylar but the center flag area had the Mylar carefully cut out exactly In the shape and pulled off. Also probably relabeled and then pulled off later and ruined the paint. Also probably explains why the cabinet it black. Some of the black paint it peeled off too so likely decals on that yanked off.
Plus my ramp is nasty! Hopefully freeplay40 gets to those sooner than later
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah just spoke with him. Head on of the whole side would be best!
This checkpoint resto is going to be a long bumpy road.....

Hey, I have this game now, I knew someone at the sanctum had it at some point!

I’m trying my best to restore it, but this is only my 3rd ish game I’ve worked on and the first 2 didn’t need any work like this so essentially, this is all new to me. The flippers are so weak I can stop them with my hand, but when they reach full stroke they are strong and can’t be budged. Does this indicate an issue with the flipper board?

1 year later
#388 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Photo is the game when I picked it up
Correct drop targets ordered through Marco, outside of that from what I see it’s very original

PBR is working on the DE Flipper bats right now. Also I’d replace the checkpoint targets with the little Porsche symbol like I’ve seen others do. It looks so nice

1 month later
#391 4 years ago
Quoted from joelw23:

Just picked up a checkpoint. anyone have a NOS playfield? mine has a few wear spots.

You don’t typically replace playfields for wear spots, and swapping them is extremely time consuming, 30 hrs or more. Typically people touch them up or create decals (stickers) to put over them

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Who needs the big ramp for this game? I think I have someone willing to let me use theirs to make a new repro version.

Mine has tons of fiberglass/resin repairs throughout it, it looks god awful, I would definitely be interested if it’s less than $500

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I found someone that did flat rate board repair in my area. Cut a deal on all boards.
Then, I started fixing my machine.

Do you or anyone in this thread know who repairs Data East boards?? I have a soundboard from my TA that needs to be totally rebuilt and I recently replaced my Checkpoint MPU with a rottendog and I’d like to send out the MPU to get repaired, it had a very weird problem in the logic where it kept locking on a solenoid even after replacing the transistor

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from Hrvat9:

Any one know what these wires are for ? They’re cut
Purple -yellow band
Brown - yellow band[quoted image]

Your knocker’s been cut out, like most of them. I am suspecting that the knocker was causing the transistor to blow or something since it’s so common in DEs

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from joelw23:

Think I may have found the issue on the power supply board...[quoted image]

All of the power supplies usually look like that. They were so crappy. Get a rottendog see if that fixes it. The high voltage section is probably going bad. Someone could rebuild it for you too

3 weeks later
#421 4 years ago

Okay where did you all get those great air ball deflectors? I really could use one

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from Hrvat9:

Am I missing that big transistor and a resistor at Q1 and R19?[quoted image]

No that board was used for several games. It was meant to be modular, they could use as much or as little as needed

1 year later
#501 3 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Can anyone tell me what the green/red lights do on the front under the ignition key?

I assume most of you have it on freeplay mode.
It’s supposed to be red when it needs coins and turn green when it has credits on the machine. That’s it. A nice little touch to add some flair to a game that is absolutely packed. The most “premium” DE ever made feature-wise compared to today’s games.

2 months later
#539 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Installed JodyG Ramp-o-matic replacement ramp today, looks great!
[quoted image]

That little metal circle at the end of the ramp. Never seen one of those before on any of the Checkpoint’s I’ve seen. Even the “collector HUO” one my buddy bought. Is that custom?
For some reason Checkpoint’s always seem to be missing SOMETHING no matter how nice.

11 months later
#578 2 years ago

I’m surprised how active this club is.
Maybe I should dig out my Checkpoint and get it going again. Mine has some really F’d up stuff going on.
And someone stole parts out of the drop target bank, and parts for the 3-bank are impossible to get. The little metal tube that the springs go on for tension is missing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint-club-and-mod-ideas?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.