autoplunger 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231009_235524235 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231009_234912756 (resized).jpg
Pinside_market_154791_16 (resized).jpg
02869246-E252-4368-A27A-524A50B1FBA6 (resized).jpeg
2023-04-01 10.14.15 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.34 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.25 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmhouze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 9 years ago

I was thinking of something similar for the coin door. Just where to find the emblem for a decent price.
What's with the Lasermatic speed sign? looks to be in german or something...
I am still on the fence on the neon. maybe something more rally and less porche for me.

Since it is a club forum: I have a few ball traps in mine. the ball gets stuck under the toy car/nitro plastic and also the corner of the right return lane where the red/orange plastic bulges down. Am I alone in this?

Side note: Many of us need new ramps. If someone out there has a good one get it vacu-formed and start making some money helping the rest of us out. Do us all a favour and tape a layer of bristol board to the section near the outhole to make it form thicker/stronger...

#10 9 years ago

Yeah the ramp replacements are on Freeplay40's list for future builds. He may need a larger vacu-form machine for something as big as the checkpoint ramp. Anyhow it's at least months away...
Noticed the weird lights on the kickers (megaphone looking things) and the backbox being orange instead of the black mine is.
Hey maybe mine is the ultra rare export black!

Don't forget the Les Swab re-theme as well. I saw it listed on ebay www.pinballnews.com/shows/nwpas2014/index4.html
I was leaning more toward a rally car for the topper. Maybe a larger die cast . Gotta be rally themed.
Badges are 5-10 on ebay, wondering if the Carrera metal script would make a nice topper.

Would be a nice project for a colour DMD. If they make them small enough.

#19 9 years ago

I edited my earlier post with the link. I don't like to over-bump posts when a simple edit will do the job.
I guess it does make Checkpoint seem more popular. Of course me cruising the forums a few times a day helps...

#21 9 years ago

My biggest problem now is playing the game with my wife.
She tends to get a bit 'upset' when I beat her score and get redline at the end of the game.
I keep tell her that practice will make her better but she expects me to throw the game just for her.

I guess that's pinball...

#25 9 years ago

I received my first load of Checkpoint parts yesterday and got hard at work.
I swapped out the melted slingshot coil. Power up the machine and blew the 4A fuse I didn't have a slow blow for. No problem, I had ordered the proper fuses so I swapped it out and powered up again.
With a pop and a great light show I burned out a motherboard transistor (top right cornerish) and had to blow out the fire.
I removed the board and brought it in to work today for my tech buddy (that gives me free board repair) hopefully I'll have it back by the weekend for round 2....
Pinball problems.

#29 9 years ago

I don't see it now. That's a fast moving part.
I guess I will have to set myself up for notifications...

1 week later
#30 9 years ago

I have my tech coming by next week to troubleshoot the things still not working right. Mainly the left slingshot. I have had a couple of weird DMD issues that are sporadic like not showing the score all the time (ever since the transistor blowout and minor flame on the main board).
I have not yet seen the checkered flag target at the ramp entrance deploy yet.
I just thought I should ask when does it go up?
That way I can see if it is not working correctly.

After I get it all running I will touch up the playfield (tire tracks on shooter lane, around the pit stop). I am currently looking for a Carrera script piece to attach to the head. Maybe a porsche shield for the spot under the key that's shaped that way already. I have a few contact numbers for some porsche scrapyards in my province. hopefully they will match the prices I am seeing on Ebay or be cheaper.

Other than that,
always play 2+ players
Cuz, free REDLINE rocks! (as long as it's turned on)

#33 9 years ago

I am really having problems with the left slingshot. When I have it hooked up it blows out the transistor on the board. My tech pal can't seem to understand why so much power is going through all the coils and into the board.
Maybe the original black beast coils (which are not available at least in Canada) could handle all the juice.
Well, no super rush to finish as I still need a new ramp before it is going to be ready to go out the door. Until then I will hopefully get it back up and running soon and be able to have some fun with it until ramps start getting made.
My tech would like to see a schematic of the rottendog mpu 004 to see if it has modified coil drive transistors. He seems to think that he may be able to add to the original board and fix this problem.

Side note: checkered flag target deployed just fine during coil testing. Must be the 'factory' setting I am using that keeps it from deploying or I am not good enough at the game yet to have it fire during play.

1 week later
#36 9 years ago

I have not got to a nearby city to get some new transistors but I did get my board back from my bud that does all my board repair for free. Sure, it looks a little hacked but heck it was free.
So, he put in some sockets where the usual blowouts are happening.
Hopefully we will have the parts soon and can start chasing down the solution.
I asked one of my other local pal for some advice and he warned me that the magnetic field collapse that was causing the transistors to blow like popcorn could have damaged the buffer chip.
All kinda sounds like star trek tech-speak to me.
So, any idea what the number on the buffer chip is and what they may cost? (hopefully I can get one at the electronics supply place)
If it's cheap, I best have a spare as I am sure after three blowouts it's going to be at the very least stressed.

I did turn on the machine with the bad coil disconnected but the machine was running way too weird. The thumper bumper (the coil before the bad one) was constantly on and so was the shaker motor. I do have 2 missing transistors (empty sockets) on the board so I am getting an idea of what they are running.
Otherwise I am holding off on some Porsche parts until I get the game up and running. I am looking into a shield badge for the coin door or under the key start and a 'carrera' script piece to attach to the top front of the backbox. Nothing too big as I don't have the headroom for a large topper. (my High Speed can't have the hot pinball action plastic on top but at least I have enough room for the light)

4 weeks later
#38 9 years ago

I just got my transistors in the mail. My tech put sockets in my board where the blowouts were occuring and it was very easy to slide in 2 new tip 102s.
I fired up the machine and instead of the slingshot not working the thumper bumper locked on and it appears that the whole section is screwed up (I'll swap out the 4A fuse and see if it either fixes it or wrecks it when my tech comes by). The shaker motor and spinny wheel are also constantly on.
Why can't this just be an easy fix....

#41 9 years ago

I would try stick tack until you find the proper spots for them.
No porsche shield on the coin door or keychain for the start key?
I was considering the carrera script for the top front of the back box but first things first gotta get it all 100% working.

#42 9 years ago

My tech can't come by until next week so I did a little tinkering today. I desoldered the slingshot coil and now when I power up it at least doesn't blow the 4A fuse (thanks goodness as I only have 2 left now). I did see something funny. From day one when I got the machine the left slingshot only has 2 wires attached (one to each tab). I am thinking it is missing one on the power side. Now I just have to try to trace where the wiring coming from the center thumper bumper is actually going. I'll also have to track where the three wires from the right slingshot (next in the line of power) come from and go to.
The backglass wheel and shaker motor still constantly run. My tech is of the belief that may be his fault from his board hack. He had to find another ground trace on my board and tap into it.

#47 9 years ago

Checkpoint 004.jpgCheckpoint 004.jpg

Here's a pic of the left slingshot. It only had one wire on each side when I picked up the machine at auction.
My tech is considering bypassing the control section for this part of the machine to a piggyback board and direct wiring it to see if that can fix the problem with the section (thumper bumpers to slingshots) working correctly especially now with the motor always being on side effect. Gotta love that repair job to the coil bracket.

1 month later
#54 9 years ago

My ramp is fine at the exit. It's the sides of the entrance and where the VUK drops the ball that has the most damage and is repaired.

#56 9 years ago

I would think superbands could fix the ramp problem. They certainly improved the strength of the shots when I installed them on my high Speed. Like night and day. I have a set for my CP but I have a few 'issues' to fix first. (i.e. the game has to be playable before I install them)

#60 9 years ago

My buddy that gives me free board repair came by yesterday. He told me that now that I have the actual manual instead of the PDF printouts he was using he has tracked both my 32V and 50V problems to one component on the PPB board looks like Q4 is no good.
If we just could have figured that out months ago.
From now on, manuals first, no more PDF printouts you have to piece together or worry about missing pages.

2 weeks later
#66 9 years ago

My Checkpoint has 'ultimate' flippers installed and I am unsure as to if these were standard or an option. They certainly don't look like the diagram in the manual.

4 months later
#95 8 years ago

Seems my Checkpoint is having a weird DMD issue.
I usually play 3 players and have been having some sporadic issues with the DMD. Sometimes it works just fine. Other times it will only show the player 1 and 3 scores, sometimes it will go blank during the player 2 play just to work again on player 3, and once it went all weird and had a broken single line on the the display for the rest of the entire game.
I am pretty sure it's not an issue with the DMD as it is displaying just fine, I feel it's an input issue. My tech guy thinks it's a delay timing issue.
It would be nice to have a few ideas where to look when I have him come by with his logic probe.
Thanks for the input,
Brad

9 months later
#130 8 years ago

I am looking for a pic of the top right corner of a rottendog replacement power board installed.
Whole board I could zoom in on would also work.
I have a few creative wiring issues I want put to bed

#132 8 years ago

My board is the dps005 not the 004.....

#133 8 years ago

Looks like it got a little hot......
Some creative wiring by the previous owner.
Now I am stuck correcting it and finding the short.

20160325_121510_(resized).jpg20160325_121510_(resized).jpg

20160311_153646_(resized).jpg20160311_153646_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#136 8 years ago

ERROR in schematic page 61
CN9X4 is drawn incorrectly in the power supply servicing diagrams.

My tech caught it as it didn't match my rottendogg wiring diagram.

20160402_095626_(resized).jpg20160402_095626_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#141 7 years ago

For 1K take it to a woodworking shop and have the art routered in.
I can't believe you can't find a stencil kit.

3 years later
#399 4 years ago

I found someone that did flat rate board repair in my area. Cut a deal on all boards.
Then, I started fixing my machine.

3 months later
#435 4 years ago

I just got notice.
Checkpoint ramp on ebay 100 bucks....

2 weeks later
#446 4 years ago

My dmd problem was covered in the online repair guide for data east.
They do make replacements dmds in that size.

Fun game, loved the choice of music and winners circle.
To me it was all about the ramp. I couldn't find a decent one to replace the repaired original....
Stepped up to Nascar.

#451 4 years ago

You need to ship air to Austrailia.
I did a batertown trade to there ground. Took months.
Pricey, but ultimately worthwhile for the right item.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmhouze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint-club-and-mod-ideas?tu=bmhouze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.