IMG_20231009_234912756 (resized).jpg
Pinside_market_154791_16 (resized).jpg
02869246-E252-4368-A27A-524A50B1FBA6 (resized).jpeg
2023-04-01 10.14.15 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.34 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.25 (resized).jpg
CP.pdf (PDF preview)
AA67BE0E-0E50-47AB-895D-CBC1FE0CFB81 (resized).jpeg

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
#351 5 years ago

Thanks Joerg! Appreciate all the help getting this up and running!

Hi Malenko, I've seen your work on TMNT on another site, very nice! It would be great if you could create some nice color scenes for checkpoint!

#352 5 years ago

Well there isnt a ton done, just some pal adjustments, simple 4 color colorizations but its a start:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10CjjAcqHkeEuJ7iSOv-fVCJzrrNpndLc?usp=sharing

CP1.gifCP1.gifCP2.gifCP2.gifturnkey.gifturnkey.gif
#353 5 years ago

That Looks Awesome Malenko! I'll try it out tomorrow!

1 week later
#354 5 years ago

Malenko, I had a chance to try this on my checkpoint and it looks great! Thanks so much for your work, looking forward to more scenes! Thanks again!

3 weeks later
#355 5 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

Malenko, I had a chance to try this on my checkpoint and it looks great! Thanks so much for your work, looking forward to more scenes! Thanks again!

I updated the files, including the "mountain scene" , same link
I think the game is done, I need you to BETA test ;p

ridgeline.gifridgeline.gif

#356 5 years ago

Hey pinheads and fellow Checkpoint owners!
I’ve finally dove back in to restoring this Checkpoint I bought a while back that I understand passed through the sanctum before reaching me. This horribly disfigured Checkpoint was at one point re-themed by some real estate company and apparently used for promos and in the office.

To be honest this game needs a bit of EVERYTHING, and I’m severely overwhelmed and not sure how to start attacking this properly.

My best guess is to try and stabilize the playfield which has all these overlapping layers of Mylar?? It’s very weird and I’m not sure if I should rip them up and ruin the paint (which has already bubbled and peeled beneath the Mylar) or if I should leave it?
The mechs have been hacked quite a bit under the playfield and plenty of flashers and coils don’t even register.

Here’s what the playfield looks like, and I’d really appreciate some beginner tips on how I can make this into at least a decent player. I’m really not looking to make this into a HEP, as this will be my first foray into a location pin. I just want to take it from parts to a player!

Any and all help appreciated.

0F110CF0-984C-43AE-AB34-68E315D33463 (resized).jpeg0F110CF0-984C-43AE-AB34-68E315D33463 (resized).jpeg0F40138A-D5CC-4A26-AC67-4E08FB4BB2BB (resized).jpeg0F40138A-D5CC-4A26-AC67-4E08FB4BB2BB (resized).jpeg3BFFCD4A-065A-465B-9D81-2F1E3463FC5D (resized).jpeg3BFFCD4A-065A-465B-9D81-2F1E3463FC5D (resized).jpeg67ABB001-FDB2-428B-A9A6-3CA131DFF5ED (resized).jpeg67ABB001-FDB2-428B-A9A6-3CA131DFF5ED (resized).jpeg6B125D0F-C702-4A2F-A066-577972845A86 (resized).jpeg6B125D0F-C702-4A2F-A066-577972845A86 (resized).jpeg704957A6-F49C-488B-A545-211C489241EF (resized).jpeg704957A6-F49C-488B-A545-211C489241EF (resized).jpeg7E335BDA-BDFD-475D-BB13-6BDBF59B28CF (resized).jpeg7E335BDA-BDFD-475D-BB13-6BDBF59B28CF (resized).jpegD8FA7BF5-53EE-4FAA-A90B-2167FE40F4D4 (resized).jpegD8FA7BF5-53EE-4FAA-A90B-2167FE40F4D4 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Anyone here willing to scan the cabinet art for me? I picked up a big project CP last weekend and the whole cab is painted solid black. I have the scanner but no artwork to scan. I'm sure I can get some decals made if I have the art.
Hopefully when I get out of all the back logged work for other I can tear into this restore and post here more often.

It's on legs. Fixing the driver board first and have a lead on decent cab to scan and have decals made.
Game appears it was rethemed at some point. Few cars bolted to the game with THP properties written on them. Two Plymouth prowlers and a hummer. All of the plastics have little bits of vinyl stuck under them still like the plastics we covered with a vinyl stick to retheme it and then just pulled off without removing all the mounting screws. The game is full Mylar but the center flag area had the Mylar carefully cut out exactly In the shape and pulled off. Also probably relabeled and then pulled off later and ruined the paint. Also probably explains why the cabinet it black. Some of the black paint it peeled off too so likely decals on that yanked off.
Plus my ramp is nasty! Hopefully freeplay40 gets to those sooner than later
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah just spoke with him. Head on of the whole side would be best!
This checkpoint resto is going to be a long bumpy road.....

Hey, I have this game now, I knew someone at the sanctum had it at some point!

I’m trying my best to restore it, but this is only my 3rd ish game I’ve worked on and the first 2 didn’t need any work like this so essentially, this is all new to me. The flippers are so weak I can stop them with my hand, but when they reach full stroke they are strong and can’t be budged. Does this indicate an issue with the flipper board?

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m trying my best to restore it,

If you give up on that pf I have a nos pf that Neo cleared for me.

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

[quoted image]

Hey Malenko, that's great news! I'd love to test it. Is the latest version at the prior download location?

#360 5 years ago

yesh, I just over write the old files with the new ones

2 months later
#361 5 years ago

Just picked up this checkpoint not long ago and I’m just seeing what all is out there for them. Great info on this thread.

Here’s a little something I’m in progress on. Printing my own pop up target decals using the Porsche emblem. I slapped these on to test and see if I like them. I need to reposition them to line up perfectly and then put a clear protective layer on top next. I like em though.

41ADD47F-EA3A-4E80-AEAD-E55D6C04D20E (resized).jpeg41ADD47F-EA3A-4E80-AEAD-E55D6C04D20E (resized).jpeg
#362 5 years ago
Quoted from indyguy:

Just picked up this checkpoint not long ago and I’m just seeing what all is out there for them. Great info on this thread.
Here’s a little something I’m in progress on. Printing my own pop up target decals using the Porsche emblem. I slapped these on to test and see if I like them. I need to reposition them to line up perfectly and then put a clear protective layer on top next. I like em though.
[quoted image]

so your re Naming the game to Porsche instead of checkpoint!

#363 5 years ago

Nope - it still says Checkpoint in giant letters on the backglass

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from indyguy:

Nope - it still says Checkpoint in giant letters on the backglass

Nice modification!!!! Looks good. Welcome to the club. Have any extra of those target decals?

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Nice modification!!!! Looks good. Welcome to the club. Have any extra of those target decals?

Thanks! Well right now they are just printed on label paper, and have no mylar protection or anything on them. These were just a test. I'll make some extras when I do the final version.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from indyguy:

Thanks! Well right now they are just printed on label paper, and have no mylar protection or anything on them. These were just a test. I'll make some extras when I do the final version.

Cool. Thanks!!

1 month later
#367 5 years ago

Just joined the club. My getaway is at my buddies right now but gotta get them next to each other with a blacklight over them. My car buddies love it, definitely going to buy another one if I can find.

20190121_172258 (resized).jpg20190121_172258 (resized).jpg20190121_172905 (resized).jpg20190121_172905 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#368 5 years ago

curious...does anyone have or did have a problem of the drop targets not resetting....after all 7 are knocked down, they don't reset until after a ball drains.

#369 5 years ago

Need to go in test mode / diagnostics and do a switch test if it cant see the drop targets as being down it will not reset them. I had one switch that didn't always make contact causing issiues ended up replacing switch because contact was ruined from use and improper cleaning by past owners.

#370 5 years ago

Am glad Saucerman asked this question since I was going to do the same thing on this forum ( I sold him the Checkpoint he now has).

Also, the lights on the Spin and Win for some reason are not lighting up. My son and I played the machine before it was shipped from CA to PA.

Curious why that specific area in the lamp matrix is not working now.

Any help is appreciated.

#371 5 years ago

If game has multiple lights not working this is a different issue de games have header connector issues had to replace some in every de game i own.

#372 5 years ago

thanks cp1610.

The only lights not working are the 'Spin and Win' lights above the spinner.

#373 5 years ago
IMAG4524 (resized).jpgIMAG4524 (resized).jpgIMAG4525 (resized).jpgIMAG4525 (resized).jpgIMAG4526 (resized).jpgIMAG4526 (resized).jpg
#374 5 years ago

As per book lights 44 through 48 are the lights in question column are yellow/blue pin #7 at cn7 lamp drive and lamp return pins 5 through 9 at cn6. if the top lane l,a,p lights don't work also these are also on same column as the ones in question. The spin and win also has a z connector under the playfeild just for the lamps in question you need to check also. There is a connector at actual board itself i got a picture from the side to show that connector. The z connector is near the vuk at the bottom of the playfeild.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from cp1610:

Need to go in test mode / diagnostics and do a switch test if it cant see the drop targets as being down it will not reset them. I had one switch that didn't always make contact causing issiues ended up replacing switch because contact was ruined from use and improper cleaning by past owners.

it looks like switch 41 is not working as it should, (far left on middle drop target) I'll see if I can make the adjustment....appreciated

Quoted from cp1610:

If game has multiple lights not working this is a different issue de games have header connector issues had to replace some in every de game i own.

it's just the lights on the spin and win...LAP are fine and are on the same string I do believe....connectors all look and feel nice and tight, including the one on the board, my friend has a meter so I guess that is the next line of diagnostics...I'm not really sure at this point....again thanks for the info

4 weeks later
#376 5 years ago

Hi,

I purchased a semi-working Checkpoint in January. I went over the machine and it was fully functioning when done. It's been played about 500 times and recently the Extra Ball (light works fine in attract mode) stopped lighting and the Match sequence stopped working at the end of the game. You don't see it an you don't hear it. Even when the display did not work you heard the cars driving by and crashing into each other. I am struggling to find a place to start to diagnose this.

He is what has been done to the game:
- Replaced resistor on DMD to get that working again.
- Replaced the Power Supply board as it was sending off voltage to DMD and back glass general lights were not working. This fixed both issues.
- Replaced the burnt connectors to the Power Supply with new
- I also replaced all rubber and plastic stand offs but that's probably not involved with this issue
- Checked all connectors on boards. Pulled them, cleaned and reseated
- Checked all connectors by the transformer. All look like new.

The machine has all incandescent bulbs and I replaced any that were not working.
No issues with the display at all now. It passes all diagnostic tests and not a dot is out.

The only other remaining issue is the sub speaker in the cabinet does not work. It reads high resistance so I am going to get the sound board rebuilt. I will get all Caps replaced and the transistors checked.

Recently the Extra ball started to light again and functions has normal. I think these are tied together and some board needs some connection reflowed maybe. Just not sure where to start working. Anyone have any insight to this issue?

Thanks!

#377 5 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

Hi,
I purchased a semi-working Checkpoint in January. I went over the machine and it was fully functioning when done. It's been played about 500 times and recently the Extra Ball (light works fine in attract mode) stopped lighting and the Match sequence stopped working at the end of the game. You don't see it an you don't hear it. Even when the display did not work you heard the cars driving by and crashing into each other. I am struggling to find a place to start to diagnose this.
He is what has been done to the game:
- Replaced resistor on DMD to get that working again.
- Replaced the Power Supply board as it was sending off voltage to DMD and back glass general lights were not working. This fixed both issues.
- Replaced the burnt connectors to the Power Supply with new
- I also replaced all rubber and plastic stand offs but that's probably not involved with this issue
- Checked all connectors on boards. Pulled them, cleaned and reseated
- Checked all connectors by the transformer. All look like new.
The machine has all incandescent bulbs and I replaced any that were not working.
No issues with the display at all now. It passes all diagnostic tests and not a dot is out.
The only other remaining issue is the sub speaker in the cabinet does not work. It reads high resistance so I am going to get the sound board rebuilt. I will get all Caps replaced and the transistors checked.
Recently the Extra ball started to light again and functions has normal. I think these are tied together and some board needs some connection reflowed maybe. Just not sure where to start working. Anyone have any insight to this issue?
Thanks!

Reflow everything, had to in both my checkpoints before everything worked. Also consider replacing the rectifiers had lots of display issues until I realized its directly powering the DMD.

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from Orange_Julius:

Reflow everything, had to in both my checkpoints before everything worked. Also consider replacing the rectifiers had lots of display issues until I realized its directly powering the DMD.

Thanks. I will pull the rest of the boards and reflow when I get the sound board rebuilt and see if that sorts it.

Are the rectifiers you are referring to on the power supply board? If it is I should be good as I replaced that board in its entirety since the original one lived a hard life of what looked like poor repairs in the field and many of the connectors were very burnt.

#379 5 years ago

My machine had alot of problems with balls bouncing off the center drop down targets. Everything seemed to be working fine but then it would catapult off the target into the glass and often drain as well. Looking at some pics on here it appears I was missing a factory installed piece that deflected any airballs so I made myself a replacement.

20190323_144431 (resized).jpg20190323_144431 (resized).jpg20190323_144912 (resized).jpg20190323_144912 (resized).jpg20190323_150744 (resized).jpg20190323_150744 (resized).jpg20190324_015507 (resized).jpg20190324_015507 (resized).jpg
#380 5 years ago

I also added some posts behind the rubbers to support the drop targets when they get hit. It helps dampen the impact a lot and prevents the flags from bebding back helping the ball go airborne.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from Mahoneyj:

Thanks. I will pull the rest of the boards and reflow when I get the sound board rebuilt and see if that sorts it.
Are the rectifiers you are referring to on the power supply board? If it is I should be good as I replaced that board in its entirety since the original one lived a hard life of what looked like poor repairs in the field and many of the connectors were very burnt.

The ones right above the big CAP screwed to the back box.

5 months later
#382 4 years ago

Just picked up my first check point
New post, Titan rubbers, drop targets , LEDs to start .

I noticed the color dmd ? Is this mod for sale ? Really liking this game

7E71285B-CB95-4059-85E0-BFC3690EF4F1 (resized).jpeg7E71285B-CB95-4059-85E0-BFC3690EF4F1 (resized).jpeg
#383 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

[quoted image]

This looks great ?
Can this be purchased

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

This looks great ?
Can this be purchased

check point is a fun game its even more fun with two or more players high score gets victory laps via multi ball to add to score for about a min.

#385 4 years ago

Whitey, not sure if you into originality but check point came with DE flippers and had ultimate stickers on the flippers and coil mechs.
Also drops have fluorescent “checkpoint”
Congrats on a fun loaded game purchase!
Head for the check point!

5795AA4A-ACB5-4662-B70B-4918F81342E4 (resized).jpeg5795AA4A-ACB5-4662-B70B-4918F81342E4 (resized).jpegA2837704-5B57-4E1C-999E-248A04C4B788 (resized).jpegA2837704-5B57-4E1C-999E-248A04C4B788 (resized).jpegFD057120-86D4-4BCD-B025-468C99CE842F (resized).jpegFD057120-86D4-4BCD-B025-468C99CE842F (resized).jpeg8F07A1FB-232E-44AA-B0D4-1E3A2CE6215B (resized).jpeg8F07A1FB-232E-44AA-B0D4-1E3A2CE6215B (resized).jpeg
#387 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Whitey, not sure if you into originality but check point came with DE flippers and had ultimate stickers on the flippers and coil mechs.
Also drops have fluorescent “checkpoint”
Congrats on a fun loaded game purchase!
Head for the check point![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Photo is the game when I picked it up
Correct drop targets ordered through Marco, outside of that from what I see it’s very original

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Photo is the game when I picked it up
Correct drop targets ordered through Marco, outside of that from what I see it’s very original

PBR is working on the DE Flipper bats right now. Also I’d replace the checkpoint targets with the little Porsche symbol like I’ve seen others do. It looks so nice

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

This looks great ?
Can this be purchased

dpannell sells the pin2dmd made for this games 1/2 sized DMD.
The files are free to download for the panel, donation optional.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1goVkqUiKNCPqjwtiwBU6o6ngncju48Lg

1 month later
#390 4 years ago

Just picked up a checkpoint. anyone have a NOS playfield? mine has a few wear spots.

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from joelw23:

Just picked up a checkpoint. anyone have a NOS playfield? mine has a few wear spots.

You don’t typically replace playfields for wear spots, and swapping them is extremely time consuming, 30 hrs or more. Typically people touch them up or create decals (stickers) to put over them

#392 4 years ago

I was fortunate enough to source a NOS playfield with no mylar, which was clear coated by the previous owner. Decided to do the swap as my original playfield was down to the wood around the pit stop saucer and pop bumpers and shooter lane. With new plastics, ramp and Titans, Checkpoint plays like new again!!

CP1.JPG.pdfCP1.JPG.pdfCP2.JPG.pdfCP2.JPG.pdf
#393 4 years ago

Can anyone help me with my checkpoint issues? This is my first pinball machine, so I'm learning as I go!

Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-me-checkpoint-right-slingshot-not-working#post-5301540

#394 4 years ago

Who needs the big ramp for this game? I think I have someone willing to let me use theirs to make a new repro version.

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Who needs the big ramp for this game? I think I have someone willing to let me use theirs to make a new repro version.

I do!

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Quoted from JodyG:

Quoted from JodyG:

Quoted from JodyG:

Mine has some cracks so i would purchase one if you make them. Great news. Hope you get enough interest. Put my name on list if you are starting one. Thanks.

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Mine has tons of fiberglass/resin repairs throughout it, it looks god awful, I would definitely be interested if it’s less than $500

#398 4 years ago

hey guys! Just picked up my first pin , checkpoint! It has a new rotten dog power supply board and a new dmd display. I’m learning the ins and outs on this one and while it is in working condition , it has little issues.

Issue 1# the lights under the “turbo” art and “boost” Art beside the flippers don’t work. They’re chained with a bunch of other lights and also don’t work. Multimeter shows zero volts dc. Where should I be looking?

Issue 2# the speaker inside The pin had one wire taken off, so I soldered it back on but it still doesn’t work. Then I found out the left speaker in the back head also had one wire disconnected so I soldered it back on and it works now but it’s quiet. I went to the sound board and found the connector that has all the wires and where it’s labeled sp3 (speaker in the pin) the heat sink , first one from the top can give you third degree burns. It’s producing extreme amounts of heat. Why??

Issue #3. This sucker hums pretty good and loud on the attract mode. Tried tightening the screws in all boards but it was a no go.

After taking the picture of the pin, I noticed my coin return lights are no longer working either lol

987BC6DC-9FD6-44A5-801B-5B468384EA7E (resized).jpeg987BC6DC-9FD6-44A5-801B-5B468384EA7E (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#399 4 years ago

I found someone that did flat rate board repair in my area. Cut a deal on all boards.
Then, I started fixing my machine.

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I found someone that did flat rate board repair in my area. Cut a deal on all boards.
Then, I started fixing my machine.

Do you or anyone in this thread know who repairs Data East boards?? I have a soundboard from my TA that needs to be totally rebuilt and I recently replaced my Checkpoint MPU with a rottendog and I’d like to send out the MPU to get repaired, it had a very weird problem in the logic where it kept locking on a solenoid even after replacing the transistor

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint-club-and-mod-ideas/page/8?hl=ruzeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.