autoplunger 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231009_235524235 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231009_234912756 (resized).jpg
Pinside_market_154791_16 (resized).jpg
02869246-E252-4368-A27A-524A50B1FBA6 (resized).jpeg
2023-04-01 10.14.15 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.34 (resized).jpg
2023-04-01 10.06.25 (resized).jpg
There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 14.
#251 7 years ago

A 7/16 nut driver and gentle tap of a rubber mallet - inserts easily removed

IMG_7506 (resized).JPGIMG_7506 (resized).JPG

IMG_7510 (resized).JPGIMG_7510 (resized).JPG

#252 7 years ago

More progress of sanding the cabinet. Trying to figure out what this red stuff is bleeding from the wood? Thankfully can only be found on the front of the cabinet. I wiped with naphtha and sanded some more. Red stuff seems to be dried out now.

Anybody?

IMG_7634 (resized).JPGIMG_7634 (resized).JPG

IMG_7640 (resized).JPGIMG_7640 (resized).JPG

IMG_7641 (resized).JPGIMG_7641 (resized).JPG

#253 7 years ago

Main cabinet sanding fun...and areas to fix with bondo

IMG_7647 (resized).JPGIMG_7647 (resized).JPG

IMG_7646 (resized).JPGIMG_7646 (resized).JPG

IMG_7645 (resized).JPGIMG_7645 (resized).JPG

IMG_7639 (resized).JPGIMG_7639 (resized).JPG

#254 7 years ago

Anyone know why these particular back box hinges cannot be found?

One of them has a slight bend in the metal - I might be able to straighten if I put in a vise and tap / pull gently.

IMG_7651 (resized).JPGIMG_7651 (resized).JPG

#256 7 years ago

Any pics of these installed? I was always thinking mirrored blades to brighten it up a bit, but these look great.

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Any pics of these installed? I was always thinking mirrored blades to brighten it up a bit, but these look great.

No sorry I just designed these last night after seeing this thread.

If I take out the shading on the flag I can easily turn this into a MirrorBlade GameBlade too.

#258 7 years ago

GameBlades look great.

Constructive feedback: Can you remove the checkers and replace with blue sky or mirror? This game is already saturated with checkers

#260 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

More progress of sanding the cabinet. Trying to figure out what this red stuff is bleeding from the wood? Thankfully can only be found on the front of the cabinet. I wiped with naphtha and sanded some more. Red stuff seems to be dried out now.
Anybody?

My first guess would be rust from the Coin door, but usually the Tannic acid in the wood reacts with the Iron Oxide and turns black not red. It might just be years of drink spills and people crude.

#261 7 years ago

Here's a little mod I installed recently. These lights are usually fitted to the underside of car doors, and are available for most brands. Looks pretty neat I think, and way better in real life than the photo.

IMG_5886 (resized).jpgIMG_5886 (resized).jpg

IMG_5887 (resized).jpgIMG_5887 (resized).jpg

#262 7 years ago

Very cool how did you do that?

#263 7 years ago

I'm a porsche and checkpoint owner. Let me know where you got the parts for this mod. Thanks

#264 7 years ago

@MJW, I bought lights off eBay - it even came with the hole saw to make the right size hole. Here's a link to a different image, but the exact same type of light I got. Simply drilled the hole and wired up to a switch and 12V power supply (with switch) that's plugged into the power socket on the transformer inside the door. As you might know that socket is live even when the machine is "off", so you need a switch otherwise the light will be on whenever your machine is connected to power.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-For-CARIBBEAN-PIRATES-SKULL-CREE-LED-Logo-3D-Shadow-Light-Car-Door-Ground-/152298977944?fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item2375b9fa98:g:OokAAOSwImRYFam3

I got a Checkpoint because I've had a few Porsche's over the years. Currently driving a '95 993 - love it, and they compliment each other in the garage (not shown in the pic as the garage was cleared out for wife's 40th over the weekend).

Good luck!

#265 7 years ago

Awesome!

2 weeks later
#266 7 years ago

Does anyone have a source for any water slides for the play field?

Just picked up a second Checkpoint and the Mylar is coming up and needs to be removed, I figured it would be a good opportunity to try my first play field restoration.

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from Orange_Julius:

Does anyone have a source for any water slides for the play field?
Just picked up a second Checkpoint and the Mylar is coming up and needs to be removed, I figured it would be a good opportunity to try my first play field restoration.

Doubt there is anything for checkpoint. Time for you to homebrew.

Scan playfield, clean up artwork, turn to vector, then print

#268 7 years ago

Is there a good pf scan out there?

I've got a NOS pf that I had cleared and getting ready to do a swap over the winter. I'm happy to get it scanned before I start work, but not sure where to get it done.

I'm in ATL, any ideas?

#269 7 years ago

I've got a NOS pf that I had cleared and getting ready to do a swap over the winter. I'm happy to get it scanned before I start work, but not sure where to get it done.
I'm in ATL, any ideas?

Colorchrome Atlanta has a large-format non-contact Cruse Scanner

http://www.colorchrome.com/17/home.htm

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Whoa that's awesome!

look at visual pinball forums and see what they have for a scan

Or you use a normal scanner and have to "stitch" the parts together.

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Am assuming there must be a large-format scanner somewhere in the bay area? I have a pre-production NOS playfield.

#272 7 years ago

ScottyC got me the VP file, but not high enough resolution.

VP (resized).pngVP (resized).png

#273 7 years ago

I could always use my mad MSPaint skills

lol (resized).pnglol (resized).png

#274 7 years ago

I'd love a copy of a scan. I have a hp4600 I use all the time for this stuff. Let me know what it takes to get this done

-Jim

#275 7 years ago

I could always use my mad MSPaint skills

Mine looks like this also and it's very annoying. I've seen some PF's where her lipstick is where it should be. A decal to improve that would be cool.

#276 7 years ago

I think mine is the winner.

Man looks like he just got done drinking milk / doing some blow
Woman looks like a tranny with messed up makeup

funny Checkpoint pic (resized).pngfunny Checkpoint pic (resized).png

1 month later
#277 7 years ago

Pulled the Mylar last night using the freeze spray method. Worked great only pulled up artwork by the 3 bank, three white lines on the pic. Working on the glue now, using the 90% rubbing alcohol and flour method which is also working great.

IMG_1429 (resized).JPGIMG_1429 (resized).JPG

IMG_1437 (resized).JPGIMG_1437 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#278 7 years ago

Just received NOS complete playfield plastics (includes key promo and plastic that goes over drop targets - the one that is either missing or broken). I plan to scan all of this with my flatbed scanner and if there is enough interest I will make repo plastics. Let me know what you guys need.

IMG_8740 (resized).JPGIMG_8740 (resized).JPG

IMG_8741 (resized).JPGIMG_8741 (resized).JPG

IMG_8742 (resized).JPGIMG_8742 (resized).JPG

IMG_8743 (resized).JPGIMG_8743 (resized).JPG

#279 7 years ago

I'm in ATL, any ideas?

Would be interested in getting a scan or overlay if it can be printed to size.

#280 7 years ago

I've got a drop target plastic but actually took it off my machine because I was afraid it would break! I'd buy a spare for sure if they were readily available.

#281 7 years ago

I'm interested in a set, need a bunch of them.

3 Bank
4 Bank (The Big One)
Most of them under the Car(Nitro)
Ramp sign
Spin and Win sign
Both Slings, and Flags
Both Boosts

#282 7 years ago

I'm interested in a set, need a bunch of them.
3 Bank
4 Bank (The Big One)
Most of them under the Car(Nitro)
Ramp sign
Spin and Win sign
Both Slings, and Flags
Both Boosts

I think I have some nice used ones from your list, I'll check when I get home if you're interested

#283 7 years ago

I have an about 96% nod set I've put together. Can Decals are done (still 1 set left if anyone needs a set) boards are refurbished. Ramp soon hopefully from freeplay40. Just need to find a used playfield now to touchup and clear.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

No sorry I just designed these last night after seeing this thread.
If I take out the shading on the flag I can easily turn this into a MirrorBlade GameBlade too.

make the mountains and the flag mirrored and you will have a winner!

#285 7 years ago

First Coat of clear after touch up. Already did the second coat, each coat so far has been an entire rattle can of Varathan. Will do the first wet sand in about a week, total of 3 weeks of dry time. Depending on how fast it levels I plan on doing at least 6 coats in total.

IMG_1460 (resized).JPGIMG_1460 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#286 7 years ago

While not a Checkpoint owner, I've been asked to create some custom coin return inserts from a Pinsider who saw what I had done for my Getaway. Attached are full sized inserts for anyone to print if they like. If you would prefer, PM me and you may purchase from me for $5. I will send you a sheet with 4 copies of each insert printed on high resolution inkjet printer (deep blacks) using OEM ink and OEM matte photo quality paper which lets the light through very good and is non-splotchy. Enjoy!

Car_1.jpgCar_1.jpg
Car_2.jpgCar_2.jpg
Car_3.jpgCar_3.jpg
Checkpoint_1.jpgCheckpoint_1.jpg

Checkpoint_2.jpgCheckpoint_2.jpg

#287 7 years ago

Very cool, thanks for the effort!

#288 7 years ago

Cool idea. Thanks!

1 week later
#289 7 years ago

Anyone have scans of the Speaker Grills, my artwork fell off.

#290 7 years ago

Queston for you Checkpoint owners. Does anyone get airballs off the middle drop target rubbers that come back over the flippers? Anyone got a fix for that?

#291 7 years ago

Airballs - Yes. Check the pf wood behind the drops. Mine is cracked/broken badly so when the drops are down the rubber standups give a little bit and catapult the balls back in the air. It's the primary reason I bought a new pf.

Check yours and make sure it is stable. If it is then you can play around with different sized rubbers or placement.

Ultimately this is a design issue. The flippers are pretty strong and that area takes a lot of abuse. My damage is from gameplay, so I assume it will happen to all pfs eventually.

#292 7 years ago

Hoping to fix the air balls myself, my PF had about a half dozen holes behind the 3 Bank and I am hoping my epoxy patch holds up.

Holes (resized).PNGHoles (resized).PNG

#293 7 years ago

Right after I got my pinball life order I broke a drop target!

I notice that only one of the drop targets in my game have that hideous checkpoint logo on it. It occurs to me that they might be frequently broken. Is this a common problem? Also does anyone have any ideas for a custom decal that would look better than the check point decal? Porsche logo maybe?

Also I am noticing an interesting issue with the DMD. Everything is bright and solid, but when a game score is displayed there is kind of a ripple effect on that score. Only things related to the present score are "wavy". I tried re-seating the ribbon cable, but nothing.

Also thinking about LEDs in this bad boy! Looks like it would look great with them!

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

Right after I got my pinball life order I broke a drop target!
I notice that only one of the drop targets in my game have that hideous checkpoint logo on it. It occurs to me that they might be frequently broken. Is this a common problem? Also does anyone have any ideas for a custom decal that would look better than the check point decal? Porsche logo maybe?
Also I am noticing an interesting issue with the DMD. Everything is bright and solid, but when a game score is displayed there is kind of a ripple effect on that score. Only things related to the present score are "wavy". I tried re-seating the ribbon cable, but nothing.
Also thinking about LEDs in this bad boy! Looks like it would look great with them!

Seems like the targets get brittle with age. I've had some break on me. It's the same target my guns n roses uses. I had some alternate target decals installed some years ago. I'll try to take a pic.

#295 7 years ago

Awesome! I will probably order a few targets just in case. Right now I am leaning towards a Porsche logo for the drop targets. That checkpoint thing was not doing it for me.

Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 6.39.53 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-19 at 6.39.53 PM (resized).png

#296 7 years ago

I think these were designed for corvette and I tried them. I think your porsche logo looks better than stock or the one pictured.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#297 7 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#298 7 years ago

Thanks, I might go with a black and white version instead. Kind of like the one Mr_Tantrum posted, but less black. I will see what looks better. Maybe one with less grey scale than this.

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 7.43.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-20 at 7.43.41 PM (resized).png

1 week later
#299 7 years ago

Finally had time to finish the back box. Now all I need to do is prime, sand, prime, base coat, sand, more coats, clearcoat, then apply decals

IMG_9266 (resized).JPGIMG_9266 (resized).JPG

IMG_9267 (resized).JPGIMG_9267 (resized).JPG

IMG_9268 (resized).JPGIMG_9268 (resized).JPG

IMG_9270 (resized).JPGIMG_9270 (resized).JPG

IMG_9271 (resized).JPGIMG_9271 (resized).JPG

#300 7 years ago

Very nice woodworking, looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint-club-and-mod-ideas/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.