Topic Stats

• 377 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Orange_Julius
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 191 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG4524 (resized).jpg
IMAG4526 (resized).jpg
IMAG4525 (resized).jpg
20190121_172258 (resized).jpg
20190121_172905 (resized).jpg
41ADD47F-EA3A-4E80-AEAD-E55D6C04D20E (resized).jpeg
67ABB001-FDB2-428B-A9A6-3CA131DFF5ED (resized).jpeg
7E335BDA-BDFD-475D-BB13-6BDBF59B28CF (resized).jpeg
0F40138A-D5CC-4A26-AC67-4E08FB4BB2BB (resized).jpeg
6B125D0F-C702-4A2F-A066-577972845A86 (resized).jpeg
D8FA7BF5-53EE-4FAA-A90B-2167FE40F4D4 (resized).jpeg
704957A6-F49C-488B-A545-211C489241EF (resized).jpeg
3BFFCD4A-065A-465B-9D81-2F1E3463FC5D (resized).jpeg
0F110CF0-984C-43AE-AB34-68E315D33463 (resized).jpeg
ridgeline.gif
turnkey.gif

There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 4 years ago

Had a request from fellow pinside to post some pics of my mods. I thought I would also start a club for owners to discuss game problems and parts.

My mods : full led to include flashers,led DMD,orange t mold for backbox,orange legs and cup holder,micro display from sparky that shows porsche racing. Flipper toppers with tire tread from swinks.

Neon porsche topper,944turbo matchbox car,led speaker lights,blue led light strip under ramp, comet white led strip in ball drain area,Xpin power supply upgrade, real porsche emblem on coin door, vids lighted coin door buttons,plastic protectors for slings,super band flipper rubbers,later mastic speed sign changed out to the German version.

My last mods will be orange powder coated lockdown bar and side rails. I'm hoping the newer lollipop stern side rails will fit. If not I will use the stock type. Seems like most people that own this game are into cars like me.
image.jpg
image-719.jpg
image-98.jpg
image-659.jpg
image-790.jpg
image-468.jpg
image-815.jpg
image-878.jpg
image-731.jpg
image-250.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Forgot about the mirror blades and I put some LEDs .
image.jpg
image-501.jpg
image-58.jpg

#3 4 years ago

I was thinking of something similar for the coin door. Just where to find the emblem for a decent price.
What's with the Lasermatic speed sign? looks to be in german or something...
I am still on the fence on the neon. maybe something more rally and less porche for me.

Since it is a club forum: I have a few ball traps in mine. the ball gets stuck under the toy car/nitro plastic and also the corner of the right return lane where the red/orange plastic bulges down. Am I alone in this?

Side note: Many of us need new ramps. If someone out there has a good one get it vacu-formed and start making some money helping the rest of us out. Do us all a favour and tape a layer of bristol board to the section near the outhole to make it form thicker/stronger...

#4 4 years ago

I had the same problem with the ball traps by the car. As you can see in my picture I moved the plastic away from the post. It should be screwed down and looks sloppy but this is the only way I was able to stop the ball traps.I have not had any issues on right return lane.sometimes behind the spin and win the wires droop down and hang up a ball.

The speed sign is just written in German. I think I got it from bay area amusements.

I own a 944 so I had a emblem laying around. You might find a decent one on ebay or wrecking yard.

Freeplay 40 made a custom clear ramp for high speed. I asked him if would ever do checkpoint and he is considering it.

#5 4 years ago

I've always felt the dot matrix display and the fast scoring light panel should have their positions swapped.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I've always felt the dot matrix display and the fast scoring light panel should have their positions swapped.

That would have looked better.

#7 4 years ago

Couple weird facts on this game. First ever dmd display and there was a desert storm version . Same game but different playfield and backbox,ect. It was for sale on mr pinball classified a few years ago.game has been very reliable for me.

#8 4 years ago

The first 2 games of the new DMD gen from DE had that awful placement of dmd, then Hook in 1992, well and ST in 1991, they moved it to that location :/ makes for some scratched backglasses as well if the owner didn't remove the BG carefully.

#9 4 years ago

First DE to have a shaker
First game to have select-able music

#10 4 years ago

Yeah the ramp replacements are on Freeplay40's list for future builds. He may need a larger vacu-form machine for something as big as the checkpoint ramp. Anyhow it's at least months away...
Noticed the weird lights on the kickers (megaphone looking things) and the backbox being orange instead of the black mine is.
Hey maybe mine is the ultra rare export black!

Don't forget the Les Swab re-theme as well. I saw it listed on ebay www.pinballnews.com/shows/nwpas2014/index4.html
I was leaning more toward a rally car for the topper. Maybe a larger die cast . Gotta be rally themed.
Badges are 5-10 on ebay, wondering if the Carrera metal script would make a nice topper.

Would be a nice project for a colour DMD. If they make them small enough.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Yeah the ramp replacements are on Freeplay40's list for future builds. He may need a larger vacu-form machine for something as big as the Checkpoint ramp. Anyhow it's at least months away...
Noticed the weird lights on the kickers (megaphone looking things) and the backbox being orange instead of the black mine is.
Hey maybe mine is the ultra rare export black!
Don't forget the Les Swab re-theme as well. I saw it listed on e-bay.
I was leaning more toward a rally car for the topper. Maybe a larger die cast . Gotta be rally themed.
Badges are 5-10 on ebay, wondering if the Carrera metal script would make a nice topper.
Would be a nice project for a colour DMD. If they make them small enough.

What was the les swab retheme? Also did not know first de with shaker. Thanks

#12 4 years ago

The backbox orange trim is t molding that I added. The megaphones are spotlights I added for some more lighting.

#13 4 years ago

If anyone wants to do the DMD glare guard the ones for sale will not work. It is wide enough but too short. Does not block glare. I had to cut ,bend,paint a piece of tin.

#14 4 years ago

Yes, don't forget the Les Schwab and Avis Rent-A-Car one offs.

#15 4 years ago

Oh we need a link to the tire thread flipper caps!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Oh we need a link to the tire thread flipper caps!

Pinsider Swinks from Australia made me these. He made it known these were the first sets sent to America. Pretty cool. They have been holding up well. Something different. I may have a spare set if you can't get ahold of Swinks. Just let me know. Swinks tried to get these sold on Pinball life but Terry was not interested.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yes, don't forget the Les Schwab and Avis Rent-A-Car one offs.

Any pics? That would be cool to see.

#18 4 years ago

If your orange posts are broken and crumbling you can get new ones at Pinball Life .

#19 4 years ago

I edited my earlier post with the link. I don't like to over-bump posts when a simple edit will do the job.
I guess it does make Checkpoint seem more popular. Of course me cruising the forums a few times a day helps...

#20 4 years ago

I love the Porsche key fob, I'm going to have to do that mod.

It took me a while to like this machine. I figured out there was a problem with the sound when I cranked it really loud.

Previously I couldn't hear any sounds when the poppers or other targets were hit. Once I turned it up it cam alive. There is something wrong with the volume control and I nee to tear it down and clean it to get it fixed.

Also, there are a lot of air balls, any mods to reduce them off the center target area?

#21 4 years ago

My biggest problem now is playing the game with my wife.
She tends to get a bit 'upset' when I beat her score and get redline at the end of the game.
I keep tell her that practice will make her better but she expects me to throw the game just for her.

I guess that's pinball...

#22 4 years ago

You guys inspired me to go home and play CP last night. Set my personal high score of 9,800,000 and loop record: 9.

Not world class, but I finally got may initials on the board.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I love the Porsche key fob, I'm going to have to do that mod.
It took me a while to like this machine. I figured out there was a problem with the sound when I cranked it really loud.
Previously I couldn't hear any sounds when the poppers or other targets were hit. Once I turned it up it cam alive. There is something wrong with the volume control and I nee to tear it down and clean it to get it fixed.
Also, there are a lot of air balls, any mods to reduce them off the center target area?

air balls off the drop targets? I think that is where mine were flying from.

#24 4 years ago

Yes, drop targets especially, but seems more prevalent across the entire game than others.

#25 4 years ago

I received my first load of Checkpoint parts yesterday and got hard at work.
I swapped out the melted slingshot coil. Power up the machine and blew the 4A fuse I didn't have a slow blow for. No problem, I had ordered the proper fuses so I swapped it out and powered up again.
With a pop and a great light show I burned out a motherboard transistor (top right cornerish) and had to blow out the fire.
I removed the board and brought it in to work today for my tech buddy (that gives me free board repair) hopefully I'll have it back by the weekend for round 2....
Pinball problems.

#26 4 years ago

oh man :/ hope you get that figured out!

So my game was working last year, then I brought it to pinball circus. Once I got it home, the game played a few days, then when the game powered there were audio issues, got new roms, new batteries. random sounds would play when you hit any switch.

Now the game powers, but no ball goes into the shooter lane. Is there a menu system for switch test? I was thinking the coil there could be a bad switch, but I haven't even tested anything yet.

#27 4 years ago

Ramp listed on ebay right now by someone. $65. Plus $15.00 shipping buy it now option.

#28 4 years ago

Never heard of Checkpoint. I am a car enthusiast as we'll so interested in car theme pinball. Hope I run into this someday so I can check it out. I just got a Getaway and live it.

#29 4 years ago

I don't see it now. That's a fast moving part.
I guess I will have to set myself up for notifications...

1 week later
#30 4 years ago

I have my tech coming by next week to troubleshoot the things still not working right. Mainly the left slingshot. I have had a couple of weird DMD issues that are sporadic like not showing the score all the time (ever since the transistor blowout and minor flame on the main board).
I have not yet seen the checkered flag target at the ramp entrance deploy yet.
I just thought I should ask when does it go up?
That way I can see if it is not working correctly.

After I get it all running I will touch up the playfield (tire tracks on shooter lane, around the pit stop). I am currently looking for a Carrera script piece to attach to the head. Maybe a porsche shield for the spot under the key that's shaped that way already. I have a few contact numbers for some porsche scrapyards in my province. hopefully they will match the prices I am seeing on Ebay or be cheaper.

Other than that,
always play 2+ players
Cuz, free REDLINE rocks! (as long as it's turned on)

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I have not yet seen the checkered flag target at the ramp entrance deploy yet.
I just thought I should ask when does it go up?
That way I can see if it is not working correctly.

On easy and medium it doesn't come up if I remember until multiball. On hard it is always up.

#32 4 years ago

Great underrated game, which was my first pin. My mods are LEDs in the inserts (which really make the colors pop), custom cards, and Flipper Fidelity speakers.

+ 1 for a new ramp from Freeplay40. I actually bought a populated playfield once in search of a better ramp, but even that one was mildly cracked. I've yet to see one in mint condition.

#33 4 years ago

I am really having problems with the left slingshot. When I have it hooked up it blows out the transistor on the board. My tech pal can't seem to understand why so much power is going through all the coils and into the board.
Maybe the original black beast coils (which are not available at least in Canada) could handle all the juice.
Well, no super rush to finish as I still need a new ramp before it is going to be ready to go out the door. Until then I will hopefully get it back up and running soon and be able to have some fun with it until ramps start getting made.
My tech would like to see a schematic of the rottendog mpu 004 to see if it has modified coil drive transistors. He seems to think that he may be able to add to the original board and fix this problem.

Side note: checkered flag target deployed just fine during coil testing. Must be the 'factory' setting I am using that keeps it from deploying or I am not good enough at the game yet to have it fire during play.

#34 4 years ago

The checkered flag target should pop up at the end of a game ! It goes back down at the start of a game then pops back up at multi-ball . * Just a note - the micro switch on the target is really hard to adjust !

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I am really having problems with the left slingshot. When I have it hooked up it blows out the transistor on the board. My tech pal can't seem to understand why so much power is going through all the coils and into the board.
Maybe the original black beast coils (which are not available at least in Canada) could handle all the juice.
Well, no super rush to finish as I still need a new ramp before it is going to be ready to go out the door. Until then I will hopefully get it back up and running soon and be able to have some fun with it until ramps start getting made.
My tech would like to see a schematic of the rottendog mpu 004 to see if it has modified coil drive transistors. He seems to think that he may be able to add to the original board and fix this problem.
Side note: checkered flag target deployed just fine during coil testing. Must be the 'factory' setting I am using that keeps it from deploying or I am not good enough at the game yet to have it fire during play.

Do you have the correct power at the coil? Is the diode bad? A bad diode will blow the transistor, or could. Also is the line grounded out?

1 week later
#36 4 years ago

I have not got to a nearby city to get some new transistors but I did get my board back from my bud that does all my board repair for free. Sure, it looks a little hacked but heck it was free.
So, he put in some sockets where the usual blowouts are happening.
Hopefully we will have the parts soon and can start chasing down the solution.
I asked one of my other local pal for some advice and he warned me that the magnetic field collapse that was causing the transistors to blow like popcorn could have damaged the buffer chip.
All kinda sounds like star trek tech-speak to me.
So, any idea what the number on the buffer chip is and what they may cost? (hopefully I can get one at the electronics supply place)
If it's cheap, I best have a spare as I am sure after three blowouts it's going to be at the very least stressed.

I did turn on the machine with the bad coil disconnected but the machine was running way too weird. The thumper bumper (the coil before the bad one) was constantly on and so was the shaker motor. I do have 2 missing transistors (empty sockets) on the board so I am getting an idea of what they are running.
Otherwise I am holding off on some Porsche parts until I get the game up and running. I am looking into a shield badge for the coin door or under the key start and a 'carrera' script piece to attach to the top front of the backbox. Nothing too big as I don't have the headroom for a large topper. (my High Speed can't have the hot pinball action plastic on top but at least I have enough room for the light)

#37 4 years ago

If the transistor that runs those coils is bad or the chip before it is, it could be stuck on. Had that issue with my lwjp.

Speaking of boards. I just had all 4 of my CP boards shipped to Clive @ the coin-op cauldron to get fixed up / looked over. Can't wait to hear the jackpot music again!!!

4 weeks later
#38 4 years ago

I just got my transistors in the mail. My tech put sockets in my board where the blowouts were occuring and it was very easy to slide in 2 new tip 102s.
I fired up the machine and instead of the slingshot not working the thumper bumper locked on and it appears that the whole section is screwed up (I'll swap out the 4A fuse and see if it either fixes it or wrecks it when my tech comes by). The shaker motor and spinny wheel are also constantly on.
Why can't this just be an easy fix....

#39 4 years ago

If it is staying on, could be a short in the wire, transistor or a bad chip/logic behind that transistor. In the case of my lwjp coil always on, it was the chip behind the transistor I kept replacing.

When you do a transistor it sometimes is recommended to do the diode at the switch or coil as well, to make sure one isn't blowing the other out. I think a board test/repair could be needed to verify the parts are within spec. The game is from 1991 and they do wear out. My boards are still out for repair. Can't wait to get them back!

#40 4 years ago

I bought some "snow evergreen trees" at menards for the village setup. They should fit in the back left . Still pondering how to mount them. Thinking the sticky magnets or some puddy stuff?

#41 4 years ago

I would try stick tack until you find the proper spots for them.
No porsche shield on the coin door or keychain for the start key?
I was considering the carrera script for the top front of the back box but first things first gotta get it all 100% working.

#42 4 years ago

My tech can't come by until next week so I did a little tinkering today. I desoldered the slingshot coil and now when I power up it at least doesn't blow the 4A fuse (thanks goodness as I only have 2 left now). I did see something funny. From day one when I got the machine the left slingshot only has 2 wires attached (one to each tab). I am thinking it is missing one on the power side. Now I just have to try to trace where the wiring coming from the center thumper bumper is actually going. I'll also have to track where the three wires from the right slingshot (next in the line of power) come from and go to.
The backglass wheel and shaker motor still constantly run. My tech is of the belief that may be his fault from his board hack. He had to find another ground trace on my board and tap into it.

#43 4 years ago

You need any pics of the coil or switch?

I'm excited to see if I have errors after the board repair I miss the game! Now I need to get my ramp copied and pf clear coated.....

I'm thinking Porsche shift knob for the plunger
Porsche topper with lights and wheels that spin
trees
Mountain setup like getaway for the out kicker scoop
Lit models on the pf of porsches

#44 4 years ago

Hey guys, just stumbled upon this site during some searching for Checkpoint related info which seems to be pretty thin. Anyway, I'm in Sydney Australia, and have just bought a Checkpoint and it's arriving in a couple of weeks. Bit of a Porsche nut, and have been looking for a CP for ages here in Australia - not many at all made it here. Looking forward to playing it and doing a few mods along the way as well. Thanks for the info above - made great reading and has me all the more excited to finally play my CP when it arrives!

#45 4 years ago

Pocketscience, Welcome!!! Yeah the people who have CP like it but it isn't a real popular game. Hard to find though!

Did you have to get yours from out of country?

#47 4 years ago

Checkpoint 004.jpg

Here's a pic of the left slingshot. It only had one wire on each side when I picked up the machine at auction.
My tech is considering bypassing the control section for this part of the machine to a piggyback board and direct wiring it to see if that can fix the problem with the section (thumper bumpers to slingshots) working correctly especially now with the motor always being on side effect. Gotta love that repair job to the coil bracket.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Pocketscience, Welcome!!! Yeah the people who have CP like it but it isn't a real popular game. Hard to find though!
Did you have to get yours from out of country?

Hey, someone in Australia brought in a load of pinballs from the US, and they happened to have a single CP. They had it serviced in the US before leaving, and also have done some work since arriving in Australia. I had someone visit it and check it over (I'm in a different state) who knows his stuff. He's also the guy who's delivering it to me next week! Merry early Xmas!

I've already purchased a bunch of bits to tidy it up myself (play field decals, some plastics, mirror blades, new rubbers).

Does anyone know if Bay Area Amusements are still in business? I sent them a mail a week or so back and haven't heard anything - I'm actually in the bay area right now and was hoping to checkout some of the CP items on their site...

#49 4 years ago

I received a shipment from them a week or so ago. They are south of the Bay in San Jose. 408-416-3628. Call and see if they are in.

#50 4 years ago

OK, got hold of them yesterday and placed an order for a bunch of CP bits - ready to pickup now - w00t!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kingston, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 275.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside