20220112_052348 (resized).jpg
update (resized).png
autoplunger (resized).png
auto launch (resized).png
D1BEE732-1717-4C7C-A362-8F00619DEC56 (resized).jpeg
5E07823C-1616-4CD0-A93B-989CEB9E7DA7 (resized).jpeg
F85953F5-EB17-4B40-8C13-868254B1835D (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

hey pinside so i bought a checkpoint that turned out to be missing the auto launcher. so i ordered an auto launcher but now i see why it was removed in the first place - when in resting position the plunger is putting so much pressure on the autolauncher that the launcher is already in the triggered position and so the solonoid cannot fire. whats the deal is this a design flaw from the manufacturer? i tried shortening the spring on the plunger so that it wouldnt put as much pressure on the autolauncher but then the plunger doesnt have enough power to shoot the ball manually. i thought about putting a stronger spring on the solonoid trigger so it would push back against the plunger but then i wonder if the solonoid will be strong enough to fire with the stronger spring. im totally puzzled how to make this work.. maybe a way to hold the plunger back from rest against launcher?
any suggestions? anyone have a working checkpoint auto launcher that can show me what exactly it looks like?

5E07823C-1616-4CD0-A93B-989CEB9E7DA7 (resized).jpeg5E07823C-1616-4CD0-A93B-989CEB9E7DA7 (resized).jpegD1BEE732-1717-4C7C-A362-8F00619DEC56 (resized).jpegD1BEE732-1717-4C7C-A362-8F00619DEC56 (resized).jpegF85953F5-EB17-4B40-8C13-868254B1835D (resized).jpegF85953F5-EB17-4B40-8C13-868254B1835D (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

That isn't correct. the plunger should be able to hit the ball with it's shooter rod tip NOT from behind that new mechanism.

I suspect you have the wrong auto launch mech installed?

The type you want has space in the center for the manual plunger to operate - probably NOT these exact ones but similar to them:
auto launch (resized).pngauto launch (resized).pngautoplunger (resized).pngautoplunger (resized).png

"UPDATE" - additional info:

I found this info here (all credit to Action Pinball): http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/deautolaunch.php

update (resized).pngupdate (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

thanks yeah i see now that should work ill try it! odd though because i ordered this one from action pinball that specifically states its for use on checkpoint http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=515-5350-00

but doesnt work for aforementioned reasons!

#4 2 years ago

Better order a new shooter spring while you're at it to replace the one you shortened!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

That isn't correct. the plunger should be able to hit the ball with it's shooter rod tip NOT from behind that new mechanism.

I'm pretty sure that is correct and will take a picture later this morning.

#6 2 years ago

If everything is right, the plunger rod will preload the auto mech about 5/16"

If it does not, you may have the wrong length shooter rod, wrong mech or mech installed incorrectly.

On mine, the tip.of the shooter rubber to wood cabinet is 5 3/4" inches.

20220112_052310 (resized).jpg20220112_052310 (resized).jpg20220112_052326 (resized).jpg20220112_052326 (resized).jpg20220112_052348 (resized).jpg20220112_052348 (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If everything is right, the plunger rod will preload the auto mech about 5/16"
If it does not, you may have the wrong length shooter rod, wrong mech or mech installed incorrectly.
On mine, the tip.of the shooter rubber to wood cabinet is 5 3/4" inches.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have the Exact same set up as "gdonovan" and mine plunges like a champ. Looks like the main spring isn't helping your issue, doesn't look like it's got much strength left in it.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

I have the Exact same set up as "gdonovan" and mine plunges like a champ. Looks like the main spring isn't helping your issue, doesn't look like it's got much strength left in it.

I think his plunger is the wrong one and too long, I spy what looks like a soccer ball emblem on it.

Clearly not factory Data East!

I'd say the pre-load on the auto mech should be zero to 5/16" which is where mine is at. I'll have to compare to Batman which has the same mech and bangs them out with a little more zip. I'm not overly concerned about it because there is no skill shot via plunger for Checkpoint, it just shoots into the subway.

#9 2 years ago

My dad has a Checkpoint and it looks just like gdonovan as well. Odd setup so I noticed it, but it auto plunges and manual plunges okay.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I think his plunger is the wrong one and too long, I spy what looks like a soccer ball emblem on it.
I'd say the pre-load on the auto mech should be zero to 5/16" which is where mine is at. I'll have to compare to Batman which has the same mech and bangs them out with a little more zip. I'm not overly concerned about it because there is no skill shot via plunger for Checkpoint, it just shoots into the subway.

Good eye, didn't see that on the shooter handle...so looking like a combo of things with shooter rod and spring. Agree with your last comment as well, not a skill shot, just needs to be good enough to get it the subway.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Good eye, didn't see that on the shooter handle...so looking like a combo of things with shooter rod and spring. Agree with your last comment as well, not a skill shot, just needs to be good enough to get it the subway.

The critical item is going to be where the plunger tip rests. Too far forward and the auto launch coil can't get enough swing to propel the ball. Too far back, I suspect the manual plunger can't go forward enough to get a good strike on the back of the auto launcher arm.

The spring on the plunger is almost immaterial as long as it is hard enough to drive the autoplunger arm forward and propel the ball up the lane.

Focus on the right length shooter rod and everything else will fall into place.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It looks like it's from a Striker Extreme, which I believe uses a custom shooter rod that's longer than the typical Stern ball shooter. That definitely needs to replaced.

DE used a 7-3/4" shooter rod. The one I linked may work (7-5/8"), but I'll see if I can find the actual size.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-6557-00

I recommend replacing the rod, spring, and ruber tip.

#13 2 years ago

So Action Pinball has an excellent artical on up date / replacement of the old auto launch ! On Action Pinball home page = find Service and repair - go to Tech . articles - next Data East - Ball Auto launch = you will find a great article how to fix it for good !

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So Action Pinball has an excellent artical on up date / replacement of the old auto launch ! On Action Pinball home page = find Service and repair - go to Tech . articles - next Data East - Ball Auto launch = you will find a great article how to fix it for good !

The stock unit works fine.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

See post #2 for a link and picture of this article.

I dislike the original DE idea and feel it was only done this way to circumvent a patent of some sort? It is not mechanically sensible to make the plunger work this way and I agree with the method of updating/replacing the auto-launch mechanism as suggested by Action Pinball.

With that said, the purists might want to keep their machine 'as original'.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint-auto-launcher-problem?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.