(Topic ID: 85502)

Checkout this wicked, one of a kind, playfield... Musketball!

By 27dnast

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by citerne
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

howie-main.jpg
    pinball-machine.png1.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

pinball-machine.png1.jpgpinball-machine.png1.jpg

#2 10 years ago

wow, that is really cool. Tell us about it

#3 10 years ago

Came across it on http://boingboing.net/tag/anatomy/page/3

This is the text from the page:

"Canadian artist Howie Tsui redesigned a pinball machine to turn it into a crude simulation of a musket-ball rattling around a soldier's guts for a War of 1812-themed exhibition currently running at the Agnes Etherington Arts Centre at Queens University in Kingston. It's meant to demonstrate the way that repetition and concentration can inure you to the horrors of war:"

The first part of his exhibition is a re-themed pinball machine, which now, having been Tsui-ed, is called Musketball! Tsui repainted the front glass panel and it now shows a British soldier reeling back as his guts explode from a musket shot (no rolling around inside for this one). The playing surface is painted with organs, tissue and bone, with the words “mangled viscera” at midfield. It would all be tame in a modern shooter video game, but it’s shockingly graphic on a vintage board.

I step up to the game and fire my first ball, which gets back in the gutter faster than I thought possible. I fire the second ball — which I note are gold, not silver, to which Tsui says, “I kind of blinged it up a little bit.” This ball stays in play just long enough to hit a few bumpers and set off sound effects of rifle shots and artillery blasts. I fire my remaining three balls, and my final score is slightly less than one-tenth of Tsui’s high score. “It’s your first time playing. I had to do a lot of testing,” Tsui says, showing he’s also talented in the art of diplomacy.

“After a while,” he says, “you sort of get hooked on the game, and the whole idea for me is that it distances the player from the idea of violence.”

#4 10 years ago

Here's a picture of the back glass:

howie-main.jpghowie-main.jpg
    #6 10 years ago

So great. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what pin he rethemed here??

#7 10 years ago

Great question... he has a website...I'll fire off an email to the guy and find out.

#8 10 years ago

It was a Gott. Pinball Pool.

#9 10 years ago

Pretty cool. The kid in me can't help but think, "Hey, the ball drains right out the anus...."

#10 10 years ago

Yup... it was Pinball Pool.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1795

Just got confirmation from the artist.

6 years later
    #11 3 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkout-this-wicked-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.