You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.34.26 PM (resized).png
hulla-one-last-group-hug-final (resized).jpg
image0(1) (resized).jpeg
chapter 1 front (resized).jpg
RequiemForMyRave_BookPromo_5small (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

hey everyone. Some of you may know, but I suspect most do not know that back in the 1990s I was one of the biggest selling DJs in the world. I'm excited to announce that my my memoirs about that time in my life is released now.
RequiemForMyRave_BookPromo_5small (resized).pngRequiemForMyRave_BookPromo_5small (resized).png

Here is the book trailer (NSFW - Several F-bombs so careful where you watch it):

Here is the blurb:

Drugs. Overdoses. Murder. A coroner’s inquest. Showdowns with the police, media, and government. Long before EDM, raves were the illicit dance parties of myth and legend. They happened mostly in secret, beneath the surface of society while everyone else was sleeping. Requiem for My Rave tells the story of best-selling DJ and world-class promoter Anabolic Frolic, who found himself at the leading edge of 1990s rave culture.

While Anabolic Frolic fought to build a force for good for his many dedicated fans, he found himself at the centre of controversies he never could have imagined. Requiem for My Rave is an explosive memoir where Frolic shines a light on this generally misunderstood subculture. His powerful personal story is about the one person that found himself at the heart of everything, the steep price he paid, and the lessons that endured.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Chris Frolic, better known to fans around the world as Anabolic Frolic, was the DJ behind the ground breaking electronic music series Happy2bHardcore. It was the biggest selling electronic music compilation of the 1990s (Nielsen SoundScan). He was the promoter of one of the most celebrated and revered rave promotions of its time, Hullabaloo! He was also the host of the #1 dance streaming show of 2000, Happy Hour. Chris lives in Toronto, Canada.

Size: 492 pages

Some of you may recognize my CD series, Happy2bHardcore, which were ubiquitous in 1990s music stores. It was the biggest selling electronic series of that time.
chapter 1 front (resized).jpgchapter 1 front (resized).jpg

I took some inspiration from pinball for several of the chapter titles and parts of the book. You will recognize things like Beneficial Malfunction, Tilt, Shoot Again and Wizard mode, among others.

The books are available currently through Amazon and Kindle.

This is the US store link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1999208307

This is the Canadian store link:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1999208307

You can switch to other Amazon country stores for local prices and shipping.

Because Amazon makes the selling and shipping easy, and it's not cost effective for me to sign books for shipping, I've come up with a solution. I had 6 x 9 postcards with the book cover made that I can send to anyone. Just PM me your name and address and I'll mail one out and you can keep it with your book .
image0(1) (resized).jpegimage0(1) (resized).jpeg

I started work on this book 14 years ago, it's the last bit of unfinished business about that time in my life, as well as telling a story that's never been told before.

Thanks!

#3 4 years ago

Also, anyone in the Toronto area, I'm throwing a (free) book launch party on Tuesday Nov 19th. Tickets can be reserved at:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/hullabaloo-one-last-group-hug-requiem-for-my-rave-book-party-tickets-71680437117

hulla-one-last-group-hug-final (resized).jpghulla-one-last-group-hug-final (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

It was on an American label (Moonshine). I was credited as popularizing hardcore to North America. I began by importing 12" vinyls from uk record shops when that was very difficult. I found someone on the alt.rave newsgroup and sent him some money to go record shopping for me and mail them to me in Canada .

1 week later
#7 4 years ago

Article came out about me and my book. The photo was shot in my arcade and the article talks about how the book is filled with pinball references.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2019/11/15/death-disorder-and-a-dj-memoir-chronicles-the-rise-and-fall-of-raves-in-toronto.html

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.34.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.34.26 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkout-frolic-s-memoirs-requiem-for-my-rave?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.