Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LM323K_pinout.png
    IMG_9778 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9779 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9772 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9771 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9769 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9767 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9766.JPG
    IMG_9764.JPG
    IMG_9754.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

Is this cap installed backwards?

Indeed it is backwards..

Quoted from onemoresean:

Would this cause damage to other components on the board being installed this way?

Nope. Just replace it.

#12 4 years ago

Be aware that 5 volt regulator is likely a Chinese fake. It's not a real 3 amp LM323K, it's more likely a remarked 1 amp 7805. It will shutdown under load of your pinball.

See the links at this post with internal pictures of fake vs real thing.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-solenoid-driver-voltage-regulator-board-woes#post-4929361

The giveaway is the large blue dielectric around the pins.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

The manual shows TP5 at 11.9 and I'm at 16.7, is this a problem?

That's a mistake in the manual. When the capacitor at C23 is introduced to the 11.9V circuit, it filters DC ripple bringing up the DC voltage between 14.5 - 17 volts.
    Yours is a little on the high side. I would check that the transformer is wired for the correct AC voltage coming out of your mains wall socket.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

I just received this from Big Daddy, is there a known issue with his regulators?

Those fake regulators are low current spec and the load of your pinball will draw too much current from it causing the regulator to shutdown/fail from overcurrent.

Quoted from onemoresean:

This is the one I pulled from the board, should I put it back in?

If there was no known issue with the original regulator, put it back. That original was a high spec 5 amp regulator.

Post a picture of the bottom of that suspect fake when you pull it out - if it has the large blue dielectric around the pins it is certainly counterfeit.

#20 4 years ago

Yep, you got a fake part there. Suggest you contact BigDaddy and point him to the threads I listed above showing the internals.

Quoted from onemoresean:

Is the old regulator the correct part?

Most certainly is. It's a ua78H05 5 volt 5 amp regulator and was commonly fitted to those boards at factory.

2 months later
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

I put the old regulator back in and I'm up and running.
    How do I test the suspect 5v regulator out of circuit to see if it's up to spec?

Did you try using the new regulator before putting the old one back and if yes, what was the outcome?

Can you please measure the resistance between the outer case of the new regulator and the output pin.
    Give me both readings with the meter leads one way, then swap the leads around.

LM323K_pinout.pngLM323K_pinout.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checking-voltages-as-2518-54-rectifier-board?tu=Quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.