10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-13.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

The most common wear is the Axl hole and the ball kickout from that. One of the most important piece to inspect is the proper ball launch wire form is present, and that topic has been beat to death here.

Parts are not impossible for this pin, and most of the mechanisms are shared by other Data East pins. Plastics are typically not broken, aside from the slings and the Axl hole pair, and those are all available from a sold out CPR repro (check ebay). The G ramp and snake pit ramps are both available, too (the pair is ~$200). The R(ed) ramp is not readily available, but it is seldom broken.

If it is missing parts for the gun ball launch, you could opt for the cheap replacement of a Last Action Hero one, or use a pair of real gun grips.

It is a good pin IMO, and one of Data East's best. If you dont like it, sell it.

#12 10 years ago

My honest rating is that it is a really good machine for its vintage. It feels a bit more solid and well-designed than other DE titles, and other B/W titles at the time.

It has some good call-outs and when it is working 100% with the magnets and VUK, along with pop bumpers that are adjusted correctly, it should stand up in a collection of 4 or more machines, if you are not a big fan of the music. That pin size number should go down if you are a fan of the music. I was a so-so fan of the band originally, so the soundtrack is good enough.

The G ramp is a somewhat difficult shot, as is the inner loop (super jackpot).

It has survived much longer than most others in the "permanent collection". We bought it in June 2006 and added a NOS topper in 2008.

My wife is not really big into pinball, and GnR is still her favorite (IJ was 2nd for her). Guests tend to gravitate to GnR throughout the evening. It is pretty straightforward with regards to the rule set, and for me it is challenging enough to try and get through all of the jackpots as well as to Riot Multiball.

It has a good playfield artwork package, and it is a great candidate for well-placed colored LED's.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

Sorry for the delay in responding, was off the grid camping for the last 6 days. So I did go and check out the pin......i had to pass. The 'immaculate' PF was below average. Axl hole was pretty blown out, way worse than your typical wear. Some of the boards in the backbox had some heat damage to them. There was also about a 3" wear mark down to the wood from the Axl kickout, that really sealed the deal for me. Busted axl plastic, shattered translite glass, nicked up translite laying on a bench next to machine. Ramps were in good shape and underneath the pf looked pretty clean but just didn't warrant the price for me. Shot a low bid out of what I would pay and he passed. No harm no foul, just wasn't in the cards.

Congrats....on making a good decision for yourself.

Eventually one that suits your standards will come around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checking-out-a-gnr-tomorrow?tu=eee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.