Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by flipper_fever76
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-13.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

As the title states. I'm going to go check out a GNR tomorrow, looking for anything game specific that i should look out for. It's for sure missing the rose shooter, is this piece impossible to find? I looked on PBL and Marco's but no luck. Any nuggetts of advice would be appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Why would you bother?
One of the worst bands in history and the pinball isn't much better either.

#3 5 years ago

I see the rose shooter all the time at the Allen town show if that helps.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks dannunz, that's encouraging. Didn't know if that part was impossible to find or not. Maybe GNR isn't the greatest pin of all time but it's local and seems decently priced, why not give it a whirl. How could you not like the appetite for destruction album?? So awesomely 80's.

#5 5 years ago

The most common wear is the Axl hole and the ball kickout from that. One of the most important piece to inspect is the proper ball launch wire form is present, and that topic has been beat to death here.

Parts are not impossible for this pin, and most of the mechanisms are shared by other Data East pins. Plastics are typically not broken, aside from the slings and the Axl hole pair, and those are all available from a sold out CPR repro (check ebay). The G ramp and snake pit ramps are both available, too (the pair is ~$200). The R(ed) ramp is not readily available, but it is seldom broken.

If it is missing parts for the gun ball launch, you could opt for the cheap replacement of a Last Action Hero one, or use a pair of real gun grips.

It is a good pin IMO, and one of Data East's best. If you dont like it, sell it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

The most common wear is the Axl hole and the ball kickout from that. The most important piece to inspect is the proper ball launch wire form is present, and that topic has been beat to death here.
Parts are not impossible for this pin, and most of the mechanisms are shared by other Data East pins. Plastics are typically not broken, aside from the slings and the Axl hole pair, and those are all available from a sold out CPR repro (check ebay). The G ramp and snake pit ramps are both available, too (the pair is ~$200). The R(ed) ramp is not readily available, but it is seldom broken.
If it is missing parts for the gun ball launch, you could opt for the cheap replacement of a Last Action Hero one, or use a pair of real gun grips.
It is a good pin IMO, and one of Data East's best. If you dont like it, sell it.

This is a fantastic response!!!

Quoted from Wamprat:

Why would you bother?

This is not.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks EEE. I'm certainly a fan of the music, wasn't much of a DE guy but i have a TFTC and i gotta admit it has grown on me quite a bit. At least with another DE in the house TFTC won't feel so lonely.

#8 5 years ago

Wamprat - you should have said one of the BEST pins ever. You'd have been much more accurate.

#9 5 years ago

If he hates the pin, and the band, wonder what he likes?

th-13.jpeg

#10 5 years ago

The pin is definately polarizing, seems that most people either love or hate it. I'd be interested to hear a little realtime feedback from people on this table. I went over the reviews here and on ipdb, but most of them are pretty shallowly written.

Wamprat, I got your take already...feel free to move along.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

I'd be interested to hear a little realtime feedback from people on this table.

I love this game. It was my first pin and I still have it. They made around 3000 of them. Besides the usual axle hole wear (that I covered with a cliffy) and a broken axle plastic (they all have that), this machine is in excellent condition for being on a route most of it's life. Widepin with lots to do. 6 ball multiball and magnets under the playfield are cool. Mines not leaving. I hope this helps.

#12 5 years ago

My honest rating is that it is a really good machine for its vintage. It feels a bit more solid and well-designed than other DE titles, and other B/W titles at the time.

It has some good call-outs and when it is working 100% with the magnets and VUK, along with pop bumpers that are adjusted correctly, it should stand up in a collection of 4 or more machines, if you are not a big fan of the music. That pin size number should go down if you are a fan of the music. I was a so-so fan of the band originally, so the soundtrack is good enough.

The G ramp is a somewhat difficult shot, as is the inner loop (super jackpot).

It has survived much longer than most others in the "permanent collection". We bought it in June 2006 and added a NOS topper in 2008.

My wife is not really big into pinball, and GnR is still her favorite (IJ was 2nd for her). Guests tend to gravitate to GnR throughout the evening. It is pretty straightforward with regards to the rule set, and for me it is challenging enough to try and get through all of the jackpots as well as to Riot Multiball.

It has a good playfield artwork package, and it is a great candidate for well-placed colored LED's.

#13 5 years ago

Ignore the negative comments about the game. GNR is a great table in my opinion,i have had mine for over 3 years and have not tired of it yet. I saw the ad for the one you are going to look at and looks to be in nice shape and fairly priced. i hope it works out for you,pretty certain you'll like the gameplay on it.

#14 5 years ago

Depending on how bad your axl hole is, you may need to repair the damage before using a cliffy. They will eventually start to bend if the damage is bad enough.

If your metal axl scoop is all bent/broken, Kerry makes a replacement for Ripleys that will work on gnr.

The axl and starburst plastic can be found on eBay for 30 bucks for the pair.

The red ramp pops up now and then, usually for around 50-60 bucks.

Make sure you get the pops and the sling in the duff captive ball area nice and responsive. De pops seem to take a little more work than b/w to be responsive.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If he hates the pin, and the band, wonder what he likes?

Not them that's for sure.
But how gnr are respected as a quality band is beyond me, it's just generic seppo cock rock.

#16 5 years ago

Thanks EEE. I'm certainly a fan of the music, wasn't much of a DE guy but i have a TFTC and i gotta admit it has grown on me quite a bit. At least with another DE in the house TFTC won't feel so lonely.

Tftc is a keeper in my collection. It was a tough choice between tftc and GNR.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

But how gnr are respected as a quality band is beyond me, it's just generic seppo cock rock.

I guess you just had to be there, and looking at your location, you weren't.

#18 5 years ago

If it has the version 3 habitrails I'm selling a version 2 right now...

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Not them that's for sure.

I love GNR but have the same feeling you have for them as I do The Rolling Stones. To each his own I guess.

#20 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm excited to go check it out, I've played it quite a few times on location but not recently. Actually taking the family camping all week and the pin happens to be about 10 minutes from the campground so pretty convenient to check out...for once.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Make sure you get the pops and the sling in the duff captive ball area nice and responsive. De pops seem to take a little more work than b/w to be responsive.

I've noticed this on my TFTC, the pops just seem lethargic compared to my B/W machines, been meaning to get in there and try to adjust them. I think that is really the biggest complaint i have about the TFTC table.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

#21 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm excited to go check it out, I've played it quite a few times on location but not recently. Actually taking the family camping all week and the pin happens to be about 10 minutes from the campground so pretty convenient to check out...for once.

I've noticed this on my TFTC, the pops just seem lethargic compared to my B/W machines, been meaning to get in there and try to adjust them. I think that is really the biggest complaint i have about the TFTC table.
Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

You may want to try using B/W spoons instead of DE spoons. The B/W spoons seem to be a little shallower than the DE ones, making the pops easier to activate. I used B/W spoons on a friend's BBB to help get his pops work better.

#22 5 years ago

Good luck, make sure to get the updated translite, someone here may have a pic

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Why would you bother?

I'll just never understand why some people come on a thread like this and rip what someone is going to buy. Instead of being happy for the buyer because he's getting a game he really wants they have to rip the game because they don't like it. That's just being mean!! If you want to rip a pin start your own thread and knock yourself out. This is not the thread to voice your dislike for what someone else is going to buy.

So good for you flipper fever, hope you get the game and play the s--t out of it.

#24 5 years ago

Thanks mustang, It's the by-product of online ananimity i think. I always try to conduct myself online the same way i would if i were dealing w/ someone face to face. Some people are just aholes...online/offline or anyway else, i try my best to simply ignore them.

#25 5 years ago

Bread fan - the Stones?? Really? Was listening to Gimme Shelter on porch last night thinking, how can you not love the bluesy, hard rocking swagger of the Stones?

"If I don't get some shelter, ooh yeah, I'm gonna fade away!"

#26 5 years ago

If you like TFTC like I do as it appears you do your love the GNR game as well. Great ramp shots and play for me as this is there best game besides the Crypt. Pure fun to play and I want one as well someday.

#27 5 years ago

OP did you play the pin when you went to view it? If so how did you like it?
Check out pinballsidemirrors.com, they list GnR rose shooter rods

Wamprats's just pissed because GnR got a pin and Men at Work didn't

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Bread fan - the Stones?? Really? Was listening to Gimme Shelter on porch last night thinking, how can you not love the bluesy, hard rocking swagger of the Stones?
"If I don't get some shelter, ooh yeah, I'm gonna fade away!"

I just can't stand that band. Never have,never will. Mick Jagger makes me ill.

#29 5 years ago

I like The Stones and GNR. After all GnR learned from The Stones. I also like Metallica, Maiden (hint hint) AC/DC. and probably a bunch of bands some of you may have ever heard of. But the truth is that I like music and pinball. And when you combine the two, you have the makings of greatness. Of course if you botch the song list, then don't expect rave revues.

#30 5 years ago

How'd this turn out, Dr. Fever? Did you pick it up?

#31 5 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding, was off the grid camping for the last 6 days. So I did go and check out the pin......i had to pass. The 'immaculate' PF was below average. Axl hole was pretty blown out, way worse than your typical wear. Some of the boards in the backbox had some heat damage to them. There was also about a 3" wear mark down to the wood from the Axl kickout, that really sealed the deal for me. Busted axl plastic, shattered translite glass, nicked up translite laying on a bench next to machine. Ramps were in good shape and underneath the pf looked pretty clean but just didn't warrant the price for me. Shot a low bid out of what I would pay and he passed. No harm no foul, just wasn't in the cards.

#32 5 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding, was off the grid camping for the last 6 days. So I did go and check out the pin......i had to pass. The 'immaculate' PF was below average. Axl hole was pretty blown out, way worse than your typical wear. Some of the boards in the backbox had some heat damage to them. There was also about a 3" wear mark down to the wood from the Axl kickout, that really sealed the deal for me. Busted axl plastic, shattered translite glass, nicked up translite laying on a bench next to machine. Ramps were in good shape and underneath the pf looked pretty clean but just didn't warrant the price for me. Shot a low bid out of what I would pay and he passed. No harm no foul, just wasn't in the cards.

Congrats....on making a good decision for yourself.

Eventually one that suits your standards will come around.

#33 5 years ago

You made a wise choice on passing.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Why would you bother?

Good pin good theme--- take your negativity out yo

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

Good pin good theme--- take your negativity out yo

You like it, I think it sucks.
Enjoy.

#36 5 years ago

Damn!! A great game but you'll find a nice one some day. & when you do,you'll be happy you did.

#37 5 years ago

Gunners is the best DE ever made.

Don't be concerned what wamprat thinks, he bags out ALL music themed pins!

Best of luck with your search.

#38 5 years ago

It is a fun music pin I'll get one in the future.

#39 5 years ago

I wasn't particularly looking for a GNR but if something comes up local I'm usually game. I have no idea where i would of put it but I prefer to jump first and worry about the details later. The good news is I've got a pile of cash sitting around now, so if anyone local is reading this and looking to off something shoot me a pm with the details. I've got a few tables i'd be willing to trade as well.

#40 5 years ago

Where was the game located? Is it still for sale?

#41 5 years ago

It was in waterville valley, right off of tripoli rd. Looks like he pulled down the CL ad, might of sold it. If anyone is interested I think i have his number still and with his permission put you in touch with him.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
$ 259.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Collingwood, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New City, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside