6-29-2018 1-23-34 PM (resized).png
20180423_112150 (resized).jpg
FirePower_TransformerA.jpg
FirePower_Transformer_SchematicA.jpg
20180418_191929 (resized).jpg
20180418_191912 (resized).jpg
20180416_215229_resized (resized).jpg
20180416_220532_resized (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Is the grey wire melted going into the transformer? If yes, I would slice the external transformer paper to access the lower grey wire solder joint on the transformer and replace that melted grey wire altogether and make sure all other wires are properly insulated from one another. Then repair the sliced transformer paper. I'm not sure how comfortable you are doing this though..

I agree, I wouldn't pitch the transformer, I would go back as close as you can to the transformer and solder a new wire or wires in place.

The fuses for the wires that lead to the sound card are on the sound card itself. Since the wire burned, I would check the values of the fuses on the sound card (and all others in the machine if you haven't yet) to make sure the correct values are installed. Its possible the wiring running through the backbox shorted to the backbox metal shield somewhere or got pinched under a screw.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

With the amount of current going to the G.I, it will have to be heavy duty connectors or multiple pin connections to share the current load.
But I would not leave any introduced G.I. connectors there long term as they become another potential point of failure.

Agree, the GI circuit carries up to 20 amps. A tyical .093 molex pin can carry 14 amps.

This is why the single GI connector going into BK power supply boards is regularly burned. I've seen them get so hot, they desolder themselves from the circuit board.

2 weeks later
#33 5 years ago

Congrats on getting it back up and running!

As time goes on, these transformers are going to be gold. Nice that you saved it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checking-line-voltage-at-transformer-williams-sys-6-firepower?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.