(Topic ID: 146949)

**Checking Interest** UNIVERSAL TESTER for Pinball Machines (PIC based)

By acebathound

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally-Stern_Mini_Solenoid_Driver_(resized).jpg
    universal_tester.jpg
    universal_test2er.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lindsey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I know Lindsey was doing some work on a proper zero cross circuit for bench testing. Not sure where he's at with it.

I did end up building a solution for this, but I won't derail this thread with the finer details.

Good luck with the project! One piece of advice would be to make the firmware easy to update in the field. With something universal there's always room for more features (or fixes)!

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Ahh ok, that is good you can get displays with out zero crossing. I just assumed the software would refuse to run without it.

It would refuse to run without it, but I assume we're talking about "faking" it with the output of the display interrupt generator. When you pipe the display interrupt generator output over to the zero cross detector input you're not exactly running without a zero cross as far as the software knows, you're just running the zero cross detector faster than it would be in the game, thus "faking" the zero cross. Approx. 120Hz vs. 300-400Hz.

Quoted from barakandl:

Still would need zero crossing to do any switch, lamp, solenoid testing tho right?

This stuff will work too on the bench with the zero cross "faked". The only issue would be driving a lamp driver board as already mentioned. Using the MPU isn't really the best solution for bench testing lamp driver boards anyway.

Quoted from barakandl:

The zero crossing triggers the interrupt to run the switch, lamp, solenoid sub routines. Shoulndt be too hard to come up with a 120hz pulse to attach to the PIA input if needed.

The easiest solution is to find a transformer that puts out approx. 20V and run the output through a rectification bridge and connect to TP3. Clay described this in his old guides. It's also pretty easy to use a ~$1 microcontroller to pulse the PIA input at the right frequency, as you mentioned. That will solve the issue of the game code acting weird with the faster zero cross, but it doesn't really gain much for bench testing because the test code will generally run fine at the higher zero cross speed. If you want to test attract mode or game play, that can be flaky at best with the faster zero cross. Display,lamp, and solenoid tests work fine, but will run faster. The display test is a little annoying running on an MPU-200 with faked zero cross. Connect a bright LED display and you might have a seizure.

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Been thinking about this for sure -- having a look into usb bootloaders with the PIC18F series.

It's easy to do and there should be a good boot-loader and a bunch of examples with the Microchip MPLAB software. I have worked with 18F4550 and 18F2550 with boot-loaders for firmware updates and it's really easy. I would go the route of adding a programming button which you hold down when you power it on to enter programming mode. Could be one of the existing switches. That's easy to do and there are examples in the IDE. You could also do it in software and set a bit in the internal EEPROM which is checked on boot, but that's a little more complicated.

The only thing to be careful about is licensing because you would need to use the Microchip software to load the new image into the microcontroller and you're using their USB ID which may not be allowed.

1 week later
    #58 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Use stern m100 software for testing solenoids... they pulse them in order q1, q2, q3, etc.. unlike bally which each game is a different random order.

That's good info.

I built a mini version of the solenoid driver which connects to the MPU to test the PIA outputs which drive the solenoids. Not what you're describing, but might be interesting to some people. It uses the same decoder as the driver board and drives LEDs instead of solenoids.

Bally-Stern_Mini_Solenoid_Driver_(resized).jpgBally-Stern_Mini_Solenoid_Driver_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lindsey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checking-interest-universal-tester-lcd-for-pinball-machines?tu=Lindsey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.