• Latest reply 4 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3DC37340-7683-49EA-89EC-628C79B1FD47 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

While restoring a Skylab I took apart the chimes to clean them and found everything in that part of the pinball covered in metal dust. One of the plungers has lost its nylon cap and had been striking the chime bar metal on metal. I’m amazed at the damage it caused.

Alberto

3DC37340-7683-49EA-89EC-628C79B1FD47 (resized).jpeg3DC37340-7683-49EA-89EC-628C79B1FD47 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

Steel vs. aluminum. Steel wins every time!

#3 4 years ago

I'm surprised you couldn't *hear* the difference..

(Edit, to clarify: I wasn't specifically meaning the @op, but any owner in general. )

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'm surprised you couldn't *hear* the difference..

I could but the whole chime assembly was a mess. All the rubber and nylon pieces were rotted out. I assumed it was that.

I only played the game a couple of times after I bought it to see what needed to be restored.

It looked like someone had dumped a container of glitter in that part of the cabinet.

#5 4 years ago

Very common on Williams chime units. I always stock a couple of Williams chime plungers. That's how often I find broken plungers with missing nylon tips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-the-plungers-on-your-chime-bars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.