• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180415-141631.png
IMG_20170822_171035 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Have a TOM that is a little problematic right now.

Getting the error "Check Switch F3 Left Flipper E.O.S" when I turn the game on.

I've replaced both flipper assemblies (as the existing ones looked a bit beat up) and the error remains.

Any ideas?

IMG_20170822_171035 (resized).jpgIMG_20170822_171035 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Found a similar thread, and followed some of the instructions there. I replaced the fuses on the board, and also unplugged and replugged everything. Still getting the error

#3 6 years ago

So the EOS checks fine in switch test? Remember changing everything doesn;t make a switch work, and it can screw it up. Go in test and make sure the EOS is registering....

You have a lot of possibilities here.
Switch work?
Follow those wires back are they shorted on the way back to...guessing it's a fliptronic board in the head?
Those fuses are fine?

After all tat comes the next step. I don;t know it because I have a machine that has had that error for a couple years and I just ignore it

#4 6 years ago

Are the EOS switches new? Are they properly gapped? Did this problem happen as soon as you rebuilt the flippers?

So many questions!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Are the EOS switches new? Are they properly gapped? Did this problem happen as soon as you rebuilt the flippers?
So many questions!

Brand New assemblies. Problem came up before and after installing them.

#6 6 years ago

It appears that ToM has a Fliptronics board for the flippers. According to Clay's guide, it looks like games that have a Fliptronics board should have the EOS switches gapped normally open (meaning they should close when the flipper is activated). Check the left flippers EOS switch. Is it gapped properly?

#7 6 years ago

Could the 3/8A fuses on the Dot Matrix board have anything to do with this? Noticed a lot of corrosion on them and not getting a strong reading on my DMM.

#8 6 years ago

I doubt there's any correlation there, but i could wrong. Researching the problem a bit more, it looks like it would be worth taking a close look at the wiring to the EOS switches (both). Apparently it's not uncommon for a wire to break off one of the switches solder lugs. Gently pull on each wire going to them to be sure the wiring is firmly attached. I would also clean the switches by swiping a business card or folded up piece of paper between the contacts a couple times to be sure they're making good contact.

7 months later
#9 6 years ago

My turn to try and fix this...
This morning (and last night) decided to try and solve this EOS issue. Finally I am close I think. Seems like the black/blue wire from the left flipper EOS is going into Pin 2 of the J906 (Fliptronics) which is a dead pin. Someone in the past may have installed this incorrectly and it's been going along for the ride ever since.

So question is which pin on J906 is this black/blue wire from the left flipper EOS suppose to go to?

Currently the orange wire that is common to both the left and right EOS goes into pin 6 on J906 and the black/green wire from the right EOS goes into pin 1 on J906. All I'm left is for someone to check where the black/blue wire from the left EOS goes into which pin on J906.

The weird thing is that all pins except pin 2 have traces going somewhere yet the plug only has 3 wires. If someone could take a nice close up of J906 with the wires that would be of great help!

In the mean time going to try and look at the manual to figure it out...

#10 6 years ago

According to the manual, looks like that black/blue wire should be going to pin 3.

Screenshot_20180415-141631.pngScreenshot_20180415-141631.png

#11 6 years ago

Yup figured it out by looking at the pdf manual on ipdb. Some expert along the way changed it to pin 2. I changed it back to pin 3 and no more EOS error! Sweet!

Quoted from frunch:

According to the manual, looks like that black/blue wire should be going to pin 3.

2 years later
#12 3 years ago

I have an Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure. I know the OP started this on another game , but I am having a problem in exact the same are, be it a different problem, so I hope you dont me asking a few questions here
- Problem : Left flipper EOS switch does not register. It always registers as open.
- I cleaned the contacts with a business card but this did not help
- in switch testing mode shorted both leaves (by pushing them together and by holding a screwdriver against both leaves (just on the spring metal)) and this does not register, if I do the same on the right hand side it does register
- then i measured the voltage over both leaves and on the wires on the switch: the non-working left flipper EOS switch registers 0V the right EOS switch 12V
- Found in the manual that I should find J906-3 for the blue wire, which is there and the orange wire on 6. Found the connector and disconnected it but saw nothing obviously wrong with it.

Now just wondering if I have my next options correct or maybe some tips:
1) Most logical thing seems for me to disconnect the connector and test voltage difference between pin 906-3 and 906-6 on the connector on the board to see if I see a 12V difference on my Analogue Multimeter (DMM on order ). I am just afraid that I hit one the other pins while doing this and short something. Especially as the fliptronic board is in the top left corner which is kind of hard to reach .
2) The other option would be to check continuity on the two wires, between the disconnected connector of the fliptronic board and the solder points on the LF EOS switch. Problem is that connector pins are tiny and I am struggling getting in with my MM and it is kind of an awkward reach between two connectors.
3) another thing I was thinking is to check the voltage between LF EOS ground and RF EOS + to see if I see a voltage difference, if not between LF EOS + and RF EOS ground to determine which of the two LF EOS wires are not supplying the right voltage?

Any suggestions on my thinking on 1, 2 or 3?

Disclaimer: I literally started on my first pinball machine a few weeks ago and am self teaching and enjoying myself. I do try to look up stuff in the manual, this great forum and youtube, and am surprised how much I can find but sometimes I just think: there should be a better way : so really sorry if these are uninformed questions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-switch-f3-left-eos?hl=gunnder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.