Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin.JPG
power2.JPG
power.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I'm so confused - this is the power board - two pairs of wire elec taped
port 2, two blacks, one is cut and removed and the other is taped

I do have a sound, humming issue - and my laser kick doesn't work (he did say he bypassed the laser kick because of the cost to

i attached the copy of my manual, i cant seem to find the page where it shows which bay of the power supply does what =- but i do not know how to read electrical mappings

anyone seen this

repairpower.JPGpower.JPG)power2.JPGpower2.JPG

#2 8 years ago

According to the manual, the laser kick wires are supposed to be violet/yellow and brown/grey. I have looked at the manual and don't see what the cn2 wires go to. They are both ground wires. I looked at the manual for my Rocky and Bullwinkle, uses the same board, has more info, but doesn't show me. I can look at mine tomorrow, and will see what i can find. Also you should cross post this in the data east owners club thread, more DE people might see it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club

#3 8 years ago

You need to redo the connectors on the power supply and also redo the headers. You must do both . typical hack when things go bad with no correct parts in sight. Usually done by someone trying to keep a game running.

#4 8 years ago

It appears from my game and from what i see on the diagram, that those 2 black wires should go to the 2 bridge rectifiers.

#5 8 years ago

There is burn damage on the housings for the ground pins I can see it in the picture. The plugs cn1 and cn2 need to be replaced and repinned.[although cn2 could just use a repinning and thats it as its usually rarely burnt like cn1] Also replace the male headers on the board. Thats it. The pinouts are all in the manual for you. Super easy fix....with the right tools. You just need molex pins, housings and headers. Also the crimp tool and pin removal tools. And finally a temp controlled solder station to do the board work

#6 8 years ago

Looks like you also have a cut wire on CN1 top right wire in pic 2.
Looks to be pin 12 grey/wht GND 9VAC. But i can't figure out where it goes. Hopefully someone more experienced then me can chime in.

#7 8 years ago

if they are all grounds - then why cut them? I don't get it.
hopefully the laser kick is just the solenoid

I think I am missing a few sounds ( perhaps they don't have power)
and I have the humming sound (going to place screws today)

the humming is like something is not grounded or improperly grounded.

thanks all for your insight, very helpful

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from derenzy:

if they are all grounds - then why cut them? I don't get it.
hopefully the laser kick is just the solenoid
I think I am missing a few sounds ( perhaps they don't have power)
and I have the humming sound (going to place screws today)
the humming is like something is not grounded or improperly grounded.
thanks all for your insight, very helpful

added more info to post above..

#9 8 years ago

also looks like all the online copies of the manual for Simpsons aren't complete. Table of Contents lists 57 pages, and they all end on pg 40

#10 8 years ago

Hawk007 speaks the facts and the correct answer.

Replace CN1, housing and pins. Rather than reusing the housing, just cut the wires from the original housing and repin into the new housing. Then replace the maie pins located on the power supply.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=98 - PN 09-18-5121 (mounts on power supply)

The mating housing part and .093 pins are also on the GPE site.

The power supply problem is not related to your kickback problem. If the kickback coil is burned you may likely have to replace the driver transistor on the driver board.

#11 8 years ago

Your hum..Is more than likely missing or loose screws holding down the circuit boards in the backbox. Fix the known issues so far and we can help you with the rest.
Cheers and happy fathers day everyone!

#12 8 years ago

thanks all!
replacing screws tonight

So....is the assumption that the wires were cut, moved, hacked, because the pin heads are bad, and this was a work around?

#13 8 years ago

yes. That is exactly what happened. The connection [when old or damaged] gets what is called thermal runaway and causes burnt pins etc. Replace them and all is good.
The screws are #8x32x1/4

#14 8 years ago

so....
I backed off all screws and retightened - I replaced all missing screws
still have the hum - perhaps I was not detailed enough but the hum comes from the speakers and speakers only and seem to be synced w/ the lighting and flashing - such as the hum fluxuates as the lights flicker and turn on/off

however, perhaps with all of my works arounds in the pictures, its not getting enough power so hopefully replacing those pins fixes the hum/feedback noise

ALSO, when looking further on the power board I found this - the bottom looks burnt and looks like it leaked
so that could be the problem as well

thanks everyone!pin.JPGpin.JPG

#15 8 years ago

All data east games hum and have that buzz sound through the speakers. it just depends on how much you have...Some is taken as acceptable. 1st make sure your ground pin is on the power plug that goes to the wall and it is wired right. You could also have failing caps on the sound board and power supply. That stuff leaking out is most likely from the capacitors. They have a working life of about 10 years give or take so essentially you should replace them ALL. But at the very least replace any that look swollen or leaking.
Rebuild your power supply with new headers and connectors and re-flow solders and replace all the caps and before you tear into it measure the 12 volt+ at your test points on the power supply and if its low.. IE under 11vdc ...if it is..replace the bridge rectifier with a 3504 more powerful replacement.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

All data east games hum and have that buzz sound through the speakers. it just depends on how much you have...Some is taken as acceptable. 1st make sure your ground pin on the power plug that goes to the wall and it is wired right. You could also have failing caps on the sound board and power supply. That stuff leaking out is most likely from the capacitors. They have a working life of about 10 years give or take so essentially you could replace them all. But at the very least replace any that look swollen or leaking.

Caps are so cheap, if you're gonna replace the HV caps, may as well do the rest on the PSU.

#17 8 years ago

Agreed! Could changed to should in my post. I just read that and worded it wrong. D'oh. lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-this-hack-simpsons-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.