(Topic ID: 139233)

Check out the wear on this Star Trek playfield - wow!

By Eryeal

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
met.jpg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
th.jpeg
STUIoA.jpg
st.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Someone just posted this pic as a comment on Stern's facebook page, complaining about the quality of the clearcoat. Perhaps this was already posted somewhere, but can't believe this amount of wear. Who knows what's going on with the bear, though!

st.jpgst.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I think this was proven to be photoshopped?

#3 8 years ago

It was probably a sample playfield made without clearcoat or sealercoat and slipped into the production playfields by accident.

#4 8 years ago

What the hell did they clean it with ? Paint remover. I dont concider stern to be the " Quality Guys" but seriously.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I think this was proven to be photoshopped?

Stern didn't deny it, though, in their response:

(translated)
Stern: That Picture is an exceptional case and is not representative of our quality of game. A clear coat covering will protect the game for many years in terms of normal use.

#6 8 years ago

Hey Joey check out my new industrial cleaner!th.jpegth.jpeglets try it in the pinball machine.

#7 8 years ago

This is supposedly a pic of the same game from July 1 (from Pinball Bash). It's from Islands of Adventure in Orlando.

I believe it. A NIB Metallica pro on route by me was maybe 1/3 as trashed as this Star Trek after 2-3 months on location in the same fashion. They ended up getting a new playfield from Stern. Blame sandpaper balls, a rare manufacturing defect, poor clearcoat, whatever you want. All I know is I've never seen a B/W game look like that after a few months on route.

STUIoA.jpgSTUIoA.jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

All I know is I've never seen a B/W game look like that after a few months on route.

I have.

Any sys11 that did not get the factory Mylar looked like that in just a few months.

#9 8 years ago

Vid has seen it all.

#10 8 years ago

Yeah Vid, using your experience is cheating. I'll clarify and say I've never seen a clearcoated B/W degrade before my eyes in weeks like I saw with that Metallica. I'm sure you've seen that anyway

#11 8 years ago

Wonder if that Star Trek was owned by STR pinball. Thought I saw a video of them on Facebook cleaning a WPT playfield by taking it out of the game and spraying it down with water from a hose.

found the link
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proper-way-to-clean-a-playfield

#12 8 years ago

Any B/W game you see today has already had all the factory mistakes culled from the pack.

If a B/W playfield was a sample and somehow found it's way into a production game, it got destroyed 20 years ago when it went on route. It would not have lasted long enough for anyone to suddenly see it happen today.

Williams would ship a populated replacement playfield in a wooden crate to the local distributor. They would never ship direct to the operator.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Stern didn't deny it, though, in their response:
(translated)
Stern: That Picture is an exceptional case and is not representative of our quality of game. A clear coat covering will protect the game for many years in terms of normal use.

They can't deny it. It wasn't in their ownership. I still think this was proven a photochop. The resolution is so small and crappy hard to see, but just look close and it looks like the wear was sliced in. How can the pf be soooo beat, but the inserts themselves are perfect?

#14 8 years ago

My pet peeve with Stern is their inconsistency with clear coat. But with that said, I'm calling BS on that picture.

Disclaimer: I have not bought a new in box Stern in maybe 3 years.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

My pet peeve with Stern is their inconsistency with clear coat.

Stern does not do their own clearcoats.

The playfields are still done by CCC, just like B/W were.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern does not do their own clearcoats.
The playfields are still done by CCC, just like B/W were.

True but Stern is responsible for quality control inspections. Both receiving and shipping. And my guess is their subcontractor went through some cost cutting measures at some point or another.

Besides, people would look funny at me if I were to complain "That damn Churchill Cabinet Company!!!"

My complaint is based on personal experiences which I concede is not a scientific study.

I have a Stern Batman DK that is on par or better than any B/W machine. But I also received a NIB game with a playfield that should have never left the factory. And its those negative experiences that die the hardest.

#18 8 years ago

Universal islands it is indeed

No photoshop

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

#19 8 years ago

hows does the wear happen that are just like dots about the playfield? Seems like impact damage from air balls? Worn and dirty pinballs?

Regardless I find it hard to believe a LE would ship without a clearcoat at least. Can it be determined if this is some kind of clear coat defect or other playfield defect?

#20 8 years ago

Can some one shed light on what we are actually looking at?

The white color that is below the art work layer, is it a primer? Or just the first layer of color?

That grey-black must just be dirt? There is no exposed wood, is there? Or has the bare wood been darkened by the ball(s)?

Did the art work delaminate from the white layer?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Can some one shed light on what we are actually looking at?
The white color that is below the art work layer, is it a primer? Or just the first layer of color?
That grey-black must just be dirt? There is no exposed wood, is there? Or has the bare wood been darkened by the ball(s)?

Tons of bare, dirty wood. Probably a defective playfield plus original balls plus tons of use. Certainly not normal wear, though.

#22 8 years ago

Another good reason to toss the factory Stern balls and install some premium balls.

#23 8 years ago

Wow.

#24 8 years ago

Maybe they installed rocks instead of balls?

A fuse would fix it.

#25 8 years ago

Insert pinside joke #2 "just clean it with Novus 2 and wax it"

#26 8 years ago

Stern is launching this as their new patina edition.

#27 8 years ago

My MET started to do this and the PF was replaced with a populated PF. Sometimes there are defects and bad runs of PFs. Running the org balls that came with it is not the cause of this issue. That image is NOT photoshoped so stop saying it is.

met.jpgmet.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Well now that we have actual pictures of location and machine, I am proven it is truly real. Glad that was cleared up.

#29 8 years ago

The Star Trek Premium that I know of with at least 16,000 location plays on it looks nothing like that.

#30 8 years ago

This appears to be a "one of". A playfield that didn't get cleared but somehow left the building.

It's not like we are seeing these left and right.

#31 8 years ago

wonder how many plays it has? anyone can find out?

#32 8 years ago

The combination of a non cleared playfield and some rusty balls= that game.

#33 8 years ago

It's called "patina" guys. If it were a hotrod you'd just clear over it and charge another $10k.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Someone just posted this pic as a comment on Stern's facebook page, complaining about the quality of the clearcoat. Perhaps this was already posted somewhere, but can't believe this amount of wear. Who knows what's going on with the bear, though!
st.jpg

I'm guessing that the dead animal on the left had corrosive blood.

#35 8 years ago

Has to be a one off or we would have seen it more often. Im sure stern will fix it

#36 8 years ago

Hey, at least people are playing pinball. It didn't get that way by not being played.

#37 8 years ago

I would have expected the wear to be worse as it got closer to the flippers, if it was caused by bad balls. Must be some protective coating on top of the inserts cause they look decent compared to the area above where there are no inserts...

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

My MET started to do this and the PF was replaced with a populated PF. Sometimes there are defects and bad runs of PFs. Running the org balls that came with it is not the cause of this issue. That image is NOT photoshoped so stop saying it is.

met.jpg

Your sparky magnet looks different than mine. I have a single metal piece/core sticking up. Yours looks to be in two pieces?

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I would have expected the wear to be worse as it got closer to the flippers, if it was caused by bad balls. Must be some protective coating on top of the inserts cause they look decent compared to the area above where there are no inserts...

the inserts are colored plastic all the way through. it's not like you can wear an insert down to wood. inserts warp and crack over time due to heat and UV, which is obviously not the issue here.

#40 8 years ago

That makes sense. I just figured the insert's words/stickers would have worn off like the paint did on the wooden surfaces.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

That makes sense. I just figured the insert's words/stickers would have worn off like the paint did on the wooden surfaces.

Yeah good point

#42 8 years ago

After 25 years of play I have NEVER seen another game do this. Freaking crazy the level of QA with some of these Stern and JJP playfields.

#43 8 years ago

How can you be hard on Stern for one game defect out of thousands of produced games? We don't know the story behind this pin, maybe someone used an industrial cleaner on the playfield or the balls are trash. Who knows. There are a ton of Stern games out there with thousands of plays and still look brand new without any serious maintenance. When things do go bad like this, Stern is good about making it right.

1 week later
#44 8 years ago

After looking at the pics closer I've noticed no rubbers on the posts by the warp ramp, which makes me think there has been metal to metal contact between the ball and post. Which would make the ball rough enough to do this.

I think this is lack of maintenance issue rather than a stern quality issue.

I found the pics here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/found-a-pin-universal-orlando

#45 8 years ago

That should buff right out

#46 8 years ago

Look at the bright side gang: the owner might sell this particular Star Trek on the cheap. A good break for someone at the right place with the right amount of money...

#47 8 years ago

I guess it shows that people do still love to play some pinball out on location! None of the very few machines around me look like this ST.

#48 8 years ago

Star Drek Ass-terroid LE

#49 8 years ago

Just saw this beauty is Santa Cruz..wonder how many plays it has. image.jpegimage.jpeg

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Just saw this beauty is Santa Cruz..wonder how many plays it has. image.jpeg

Oh man, that is exactly the way I like to buy them. All of that black is like a protection layer and the "after" shop job results make ya proud.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-the-wear-on-this-star-trek-playfield-wow/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.