(Topic ID: 195959)

Check out my custom Replacment Plastics!

By Mike_B

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballAir
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-19 (resized).jpg
20170826_222327 (resized).jpg
IMG_6657 (resized).JPG
IMG_6654 (resized).JPG
IMG_6634 (resized).JPG
IMG_6633 (resized).JPG
IMG_6631 (resized).JPG
IMG_6766 (resized).JPG
IMG_6765 (resized).JPG
IMG_6761 (resized).JPG
IMG_6759 (resized).JPG
IMG_6758 (resized).JPG
IMG_6757 (resized).JPG
IMG_6756 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 8.36.13 AM (resized).png
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hi Everyone - This is only my second topic added to the forum but I have been a silent reader for a long time. It's really helped me with my restoration of a '65 Williams Moulin Rouge.... Sad thing about my machine was when I got it the play-field plastics were toast...warped beyond repair, filthy and yellowed... What to do? Well - I think i figured it out. Luckily I have a masters degree in Art and work as a graphic designer at one of the largest branded merchandise companies in the country... I have lots of tools at my disposal.

Basically what I did was recreate them in vector format in Adobe Illustrator. Color Matched the PMS codes outlined (as best I could with a warped Plastic) and redrew the artwork. Today they will be printed and cut out of 1/8 acrylic. Printing will be in reverse so the ink in on the bottom which will keep the top glass like. The same machine will come in and give them a perfect cut on the pink line in the photo. Took a few hours to get to this point but it really wasn't a ton of work.

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 8.36.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-17 at 8.36.13 AM (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Fantastic work! I could of used your talent when I needed a plastic made for my zac Earth Wind Fire a few months back.

#4 6 years ago

Bravo

#5 6 years ago

I can probably recreate more if anyone needs them - just trying to figure out what the cost for the final materials and print are. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the kind reviews!

#6 6 years ago

Let us know how they look in the machine once you are done in terms of how much light they let through!

#7 6 years ago

How do you plan on printing?

#8 6 years ago

Digital Direct or UV print acrylic - Files are with my production team now, waiting to see what they think is best.

#9 6 years ago

I would be interested in Stern Quicksilver if you're looking to make other titles.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_B:

Digital Direct or UV print acrylic - Files are with my production team now, waiting to see what they think is best.

This is process color though right? You said you tried to match PMS codes, but digital direct doesn't sound like you're using spot color inks.

Very curious to see the end result!

#12 6 years ago

I also am looking forward to the results. Getting the art converted to vector is somewhat easy (for those with graphics experience) depending on how it is drawn. Getting the material cut is a little harder but still pretty straightforward with the right equipment. The trick is in the printing. Especially white color. That is why everyone is so interested to see how it comes out.

Another pinsider ryanclayton has done some nice ones in this fashion. But he has kept the details of the print process as a bit of a secret so far (no problem with that decision, just noting it).

I agree with Aurich, it is interesting to know if it is a digital print or process print. Again especially concerning any white color that needs to be put down.

Your designs have lots of white that needs to be put down so they will make a good example!

#13 6 years ago

You're hired!

Now how soon can you get to all the other Williams classics that nobody else seems to be able to do?

#14 6 years ago

@XVSTOYS - Printing it as if I would acrylic indoor/outdoor signage with a white ink backer that lets light pass through, from reversed underneath so the gloss side is up and ink side is down cutting on a CNC cutter specific to signage and print. Getting them back tomorrow from production so fingers crossed!

#15 6 years ago

Looks good but don't use acrylic plastic. Acrylic is too brutal for this application. You should be using petg.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Looks good but don't use acrylic plastic. Acrylic is too brutal for this application. You should be using petg.

Agree. Acrylic will not last. Personally, I would use Lexan (Polycarbonate)

#17 6 years ago

Good point, I'd listen to the last two guys, they have collective knowledge that's tough to beat.

#18 6 years ago

Can you laser cut Lexan? PETG for sure...

#19 6 years ago

Lexan can be cut digitally, we use it a lot by I Didn't have an 1/8" in the store or production at the moment so I went with acrylic - I can always redo it if it's "too brutal". Not sure what you mean by that though - just doing this to have some plastics on my play field.

#20 6 years ago

for example, Alien uses acrylic plastics. it took less than 5 games to break one of the plastics. Acrylic is a not what you want. PETG is the correct material.

#21 6 years ago

Oh I see - Right, didn't think of that. The acrylic is pretty rigid stuff for sure, thats probably a better word to describe it than brutal but I understand now... Lexan is defiantly more forgiving to breakage, not sure what PETG is but i'lll look into it. We'll see how the acrylic ones turn out and if they come out good i'll print some more out on the correct materials. Thanks for the help guys!

#22 6 years ago

PETG is what I make ramps out of.

#23 6 years ago

I'm reading up on PETG now... its a poly material, have to check on how the ink would adhere to it... I'm going to order a sample sheet to check it out and test it.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_B:

Lexan can be cut digitally, we use it a lot by I Didn't have an 1/8" in the store or production at the moment so I went with acrylic - I can always redo it if it's "too brutal". Not sure what you mean by that though - just doing this to have some plastics on my play field.

"brittle" instead of "brutal" perhaps...

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

for example, Alien uses acrylic plastics. it took less than 5 games to break one of the plastics. Acrylic is a not what you want. PETG is the correct material.

FYI I passed along your report about that issue to Heighway, not sure what they're doing about it, I'm not too in the loop, but hopefully going to PETG.

My understanding as a rule of thumb is that PETG scratches more easily, but is less prone to cracking and breaking, and acrylic is the opposite, more scratch resistant, but easier to chip and break. Given the nature of pinball I'd rather have the break resistance, scratching shouldn't be an issue, but ball strikes sure are.

#26 6 years ago

Scratching is not an issue anyway. and you can flame polish scratches out of PETG. i guess you can do it to acrylic too, but it's more difficult. You can NOT flame polish lexan! at least not easily... it bubles!

I've told heighway about the acrylic issue several times. actually i've given them a whole laundry list of things to change to make the game better and more reliable. but they pretty much ignore me. i don't have an alien head either... they ignore me on that point too.

#27 6 years ago

Curious to hear how this goes. I have some plastics for an Extra Inning that I've been looking for.

#28 6 years ago

Hi everyone - here's the update... I got the plastics back from production yesterday and they look great... here's a comparison before and after.... no question as to what is going to look better but I have not drilled them or installed.. will do tonight and post another photo...

* The size looks off cause of how warped the old one is... when its pushed down flat it's spot on.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

IMG_6756 (resized).JPGIMG_6756 (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago

Here's a couple more photos...

IMG_6757 (resized).JPGIMG_6757 (resized).JPG

IMG_6758 (resized).JPGIMG_6758 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago

Your new ones are missing the part numbers which were originally silkscreened on the old ones.

Also, do your new ones have the white back masking like the originals did?

#31 6 years ago

Shine a light behind them -- do they let through an appropriate amount of light? How do they look backlit? That is the acid test!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_B:

I have not drilled them

Is there a reason you didn't just do the holes with the laser cutting? Easy and clean, how I would have done it. The easy part being an especially good reason.

The colors look good, you're dealing with process ink dithering, nothing to be done about that, but given that limitation it's solid.

The white offset would bug me a little, I'd look at trapping it in a couple mm. Just critical in the name of discussion though, looks great.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Is there a reason you didn't just do the holes with the laser cutting?

+1

But wow, they look great!
I think you may have found your "side hustle".

#34 6 years ago

The before and after examples don't really match, art wise. Also there's a lot of white overlap, you should dial it back a point or two.

But certainly a million times better than the old beat up ones!

#35 6 years ago

part numbers missing? Really? I didn't start this post to get trolled lol

#36 6 years ago

Photo of the back masking...

IMG_6759 (resized).JPGIMG_6759 (resized).JPG

#37 6 years ago

Part numbers wouldn't matter to me either but I wouldn't say they were trolling. Many collectors demand the numbers and everything exactly like the original but to me not an issue either. They look super nice and I'm sure will look great in the game! Nice Job! The white mask background looks like it will most likely let in just the right amount of light too just looking at them. Super cool work!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The before and after examples don't really match, art wise. Also there's a lot of white overlap, you should dial it back a point or two.
But certainly a million times better than the old beat up ones!

agreed on the white overlap... as far as the art not being identical, it's pretty much done just to get something on my playfield so it's complete and playable.. the old plastics wouldn't allow the ball to roll so I didnt have many options.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Shine a light behind them -- do they let through an appropriate amount of light? How do they look backlit? That is the acid test!

I'll let you know as soon as I get them on the machine! Looking forward to it... the work day is going SLOW now. lol

#40 6 years ago

First one installed. Went smooth!

IMG_6761 (resized).JPGIMG_6761 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

Almost done!!

IMG_6765 (resized).JPGIMG_6765 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago

There it is, folks. Thanks for the support

IMG_6766 (resized).JPGIMG_6766 (resized).JPG

#43 6 years ago

Looks great!

#44 6 years ago

Awesome job.
Nothing less than fabulous.

#45 6 years ago

Excellent

#46 6 years ago

Thanks everyone. Just thought I'd show the before photos. Lol

Maybe some of you saw this machine on offer up or Craig's list in Florida.

Now, I know it's not an identical restoration, I kinda made it how I wanted it to look with the targets and post colors and what not. Really happy. I almost got it working all the way...few more bulb sockets and little things here and there but you can play a full game and all the scoring works, pop bumpers, bell, knocker and flippers all rebuilt thanks to all the help from this forum.

IMG_6631 (resized).JPGIMG_6631 (resized).JPG

IMG_6633 (resized).JPGIMG_6633 (resized).JPG

IMG_6634 (resized).JPGIMG_6634 (resized).JPG

IMG_6654 (resized).JPGIMG_6654 (resized).JPG

IMG_6657 (resized).JPGIMG_6657 (resized).JPG

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

did you see my photos?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_B:

did you see my photos?

Yes, they look really good -- looks like a winning technique!

#49 6 years ago

What a coincidence - I just reproduced a set of Moulin Rouge plastics, too! I scanned the originals (which were rough but not as toasty as your originals) and cleaned them up in Photoshop. I don't have access to a laser cutter or a direct to plastic printer. I cut and polished the plastic by hand. The images are printed on glossy photo paper with archival pigment inks (no fading in the lifetime of anyone alive today). The images are mounted to the underside of the plastics using optically clear film. A ton of work (especially preserving as much of the tiny details in Photoshop as I could), but rewarding as an overall experience.

20170826_222327 (resized).jpg20170826_222327 (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

Can you link the products you used?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-my-custom-replacment-plastics?hl=dr_spidey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.