(Topic ID: 159107)

check fuses f115 and f116 j112 and opto 12v supply

By Shenanigander

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Shortly after I got my Whodunnit I got the error "check fuses f115 and f116 j112 and opto 12v supply". I changed the F116 fuse but then several games later it blew. I then swapped out the entire driver board and it worked for about 6 weeks and then just today I got that same error message. Does this mean that it is something on the playfield?

#2 7 years ago

I believe I ran across this message when redoing my Twilight Zone. Turns out I had not plugged in one of the connectors under the playfield. (Although in my situation there were no blown fuses.)

You check this thread? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-check-fuses-f115-and-f116-j112-and-opto-12v-supply

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Shortly after I got my Whodunnit I got the error "check fuses f115 and f116 j112 and opto 12v supply". I changed the F116 fuse but then several games later it blew. I then swapped out the entire driver board and it worked for about 6 weeks and then just today I got that same error message. Does this mean that it is something on the playfield?

Do you have any mods in the machine? It could be your 12v is just too taxed for the fuses. Are you by chance using fast blow instead of slow blow fused? Generally fuses blow due to a short but a short every 6 weeks is unlikely. More likely is just the circuit is pulling more current than the fuse rates.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I believe I ran across this message when redoing my Twilight Zone. Turns out I had not plugged in one of the connectors under the playfield. (Although in my situation there were no blown fuses.)
You check this thread? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-check-fuses-f115-and-f116-j112-and-opto-12v-supply

Thanks I will check it out!

Quoted from markmon:

Do you have any mods in the machine? It could be your 12v is just too taxed for the fuses. Are you by chance using fast blow instead of slow blow fused? Generally fuses blow due to a short but a short every 6 weeks is unlikely. More likely is just the circuit is pulling more current than the fuse rates.

No mods. Using slow blow. I wonder what on the playfield is using the 12v line that could cause it? Maybe the up/down target bank?

#5 7 years ago

I think I had this message on No Fear when one of the bridge rectifiers had a bad solder connection.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Thanks I will check it out!

No mods. Using slow blow. I wonder what on the playfield is using the 12v line that could cause it? Maybe the up/down target bank?

I think the slot motors use 12v as well as all the opto power. Keep in mind that the stock fused are rated amps at 250v. This is not the same if the fuses are rated at 120v. This could explain why your fuses are blowing intermittently if the new fuses are 120v fuses.

According to Ohm's law a 4a fuse rated at 250v should allow 1000 watts of power through but a 4a fuse rated at 120v will only allow 480 watts of power through. I'm not an electrical engineer so there may be other factors. I remember once having an intermittent fuse blow problem like this and it stopped when I stopped using the 120v fuse to replace the 250v fuses at the same rating. Perhaps on slow blow fuses, the v rating actually matters.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think the slot motors use 12v as well as all the opto power. Keep in mind that the stock fused are rated amps at 250v. This is not the same if the fuses are rated at 120v. This could explain why your fuses are blowing intermittently if the new fuses are 120v fuses.
According to Ohm's law a 4a fuse rated at 250v should allow 1000 watts of power through but a 4a fuse rated at 120v will only allow 480 watts of power through. I'm not an electrical engineer so there may be other factors. I remember once having an intermittent fuse blow problem like this and it stopped when I stopped using the 120v fuse to replace the 250v fuses at the same rating. Perhaps on slow blow fuses, the v rating actually matters.

OK thanks I'll have to investigate all the above but pretty sure I only have 250 volt fuses in stock from pbr.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I think I had this message on No Fear when one of the bridge rectifiers had a bad solder connection.

Yeah I still have to determine whether it is something on the driver board or something on the Playfield because if I'm getting the same error with two different boards then I start to think it is not the driver board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-fuses-f115-and-f116-j112-and-opto-12v-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.