New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 115632)

Cheating on your own game? Why?

By NextoPin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pninja005
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
IMG_4649.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I've seen stuff like this here and there fixing up my own games. New holes for outlane posts, extra rubbers, disabled features etc.

Why the heck would you cheat on your own game? Has anyone else seen stuff like this?

This is my favorite, whoever owned my Spanish Eyes put nails under the plastics and put larger rubbers on so they couldn't lose the ball under the flippers.

How do these people sleep at nite? lol

IMG_4649.JPG

#2 5 years ago

I could see doing that if your child was so frustrated they didn't want to play anymore.

#3 5 years ago

If it's their game they can do whatever they want. The nails do suck though but shouldn't effect gameplay when removed.

#4 5 years ago

I'm so sorry quorra ... but I got a new girl in my life

image.jpg

#5 5 years ago

haha that is a bit extreme! but yeah I could see it if the game is for a little kid.

I have to admit, I cheat a bit on my STTNG, in two ways:
1. I have the lane extenders installed. the game is just more fun when balls last more than ten seconds. Those outlines are still a huge threat -- almost nobody makes it to the Final Frontier. I don't feel bad. I've heard others say even Steve Ritchie approves of them.

2. I've adjusted the rules so that new players and kids can get to Borg Multiball once per game almost guaranteed. Upon ball launch on STTNG, you can pick one of five rewards. one of these rewards is "lock a ball". Normally, it only lets you pick that reward twice, but i changed it to 3 times, so that if i'm showing the game off to a non-pinball friend or trying to get a kid to see what's awesome about pinball, etc, i can just tell them to pick "lock a ball" on all three of their balls, so on the third one they are guaranteed to get Borg Multiball, which is a really cool light show and a really cool multiball mode. the whole table goes dark, Borg ship lights up green, The Borg come on the DMD and threaten you. then you start out firing the laser cannons at the ship, a three ball multiball starts, and you potentially have the Borg ship firing balls at you if you make the super jackpot. It's a much more impressive intro to pinball than the stock version of STTNG, which basically would only show them the joys of losing all 3 balls down the left or right outlane within 45 seconds of starting the game.

#6 5 years ago

"Why don't you block off the [-insert fancy wording for the outlanes-]? It would be much easier that way"

- Every new pinball player

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

haha that is a bit extreme! but yeah I could see it if the game is for a little kid.
I have to admit, I cheat a bit on my STTNG, in two ways:
1. I have the lane extenders installed. the game is just more fun when balls last more than ten seconds. Those outlines are still a huge threat -- almost nobody makes it to the Final Frontier. I don't feel bad. I've heard others say even Steve Ritchie approves of them.

Asked Steve this myself in person, when he attended DPO in The Netherlands.
His response when asked if he considers this "cheating" .... Hell no, it's your game do whatever YOU like with it. I will not be offended, the outlanes are a bit harsh

So, like you say, even with extenders you must nudge quite a bit when it goes that direction.

(Not so hard for my son tough.... he broke a 10 year old record on mine the other night, 35 Billion on 3-ball, got Final Frontier 3 times, lasted 50 minutes. Granted, extra ball on rewards)

#8 5 years ago

Does playing with the glass off (and cheating!) to be able to see a wizard mode count?
If so, I'M IN BABY!

#9 5 years ago

Ever have a "misfire" of sorts (perhaps you nudged it a bit too hard and a ball ended up off a switch or lock and confused the game) and you end up with more than one ball than you should, but you are not in a multiball mode and just play it out anyway?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Ever have a "misfire" of sorts (perhaps you nudged it a bit too hard and a ball ended up off a switch or lock and confused the game) and you end up with more than one ball than you should, but you are not in a multiball mode and just play it out anyway?

this is not an uncommon occurrence on STTNG when optos are dirty. and to answer your question ...... no comment.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

I could see doing that if your child was so frustrated they didn't want to play anymore.

Ugggggghhh... SMH.

#12 5 years ago

If you have 2 balls in the lock on BK2K and you press start to reset the game it doesn't kick them out and you can start ball 1 with 2 locked balls

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

If you have 2 balls in the lock on BK2K and you press start to reset the game it doesn't kick them out and you can start ball 1 with 2 locked balls

hmm, at least in the TPA version, the game is smart enough to realize the balls are there instead of the trough, and when you lock ball one, it will simply kick out one ball from the lock area as your second ball.

i forget how i got it in that state. maybe ending a game with 2 locked balls?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

hmm, at least in the TPA version, the game is smart enough to realize the balls are there instead of the trough, and when you lock ball one, it will simply kick out one ball from the lock area as your second ball.

I don't recall if I've tried this since I put the L-4 ROM in. It may not be possible with all ROM's, I just know once I showed this to my son, he would use this cheat all the time.

#15 5 years ago

seen a fish tales with rubber bands closing off the outlanes

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

this is not an uncommon occurrence on STTNG when optos are dirty. and to answer your question ...... no comment.

I've had a few instances where all the balls except for one drain, yet the game remains in multi-ball mode.

#17 5 years ago

I always keep my games stock or harder. That way in a tournament, I'm prepared.

There is a fine line between too hard and not fun. You never want a game to be too easy. One of the biggest reasons the old early Bally SS pins were so awesome and fun is because they were so hard and addiciting.

The only thing I tweak at home on harder games is the tilt to loose... for death saves.
In a tournament they're not allowed, so I must resist, but it's a worthy exception to be able to get progress on those tough games at home.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

BK2K is technically not able to release one ball from the lock, it always kicks out all locked balls.

It also kicks out all balls from the lock on game end.

#19 5 years ago

Like cheating on your golf score card?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeport, CA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
Filament Printing
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 6.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
£ 50.00
Cabinet Parts
PinballToys
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 6.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 88.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.99
COINTAKER.COM
$ 99.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 99.00
Hardware
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 14.95
$ 159.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside