Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

search relays (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

1] after the first few machines, why does the shutter not close when shooting the first ball if you reset the game with a ball in the runway?

Free ball otherwise! Gonna have to test that on pre-Palm Springs machines...

Quoted from baldtwit:

2] in the inside corners of the cabinets are metal braces...or are they?

I don't recall them having metal braces. There are metal leg plates to which the legs bolt. But those are for practical reasons and not ones of cheating. Games I've seen with metal plates around the leg area are pretty transparent about it - put it on the outside!

Quoted from Pinball_Muggle:

3] how did the design of the search relay bank change...and why?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here... cause I don't really know. I paged through some of the older manuals and schematics, and one thing I didn't see was a resistor on the search relays. The oldest games don't have the search relays documented in the manual, so it's a bit hard to tell. My assumption is that they needed to add the resistor when they started filling up the search disc with winning combinations. Otherwise it would too quickly lose the hit before moving to the next wiper.

Now my curiosity is piqued.

4] on some early machines, the replay counter and replay register used different step-up coils. Did they change that just to reduce the number of unique coils?

To expand on what PM said - using a different coil would have different electrical and mechanical properties. The older games had very large replay counter steppers. I am guessing it was a reliability move, but also would prevent a reduction of available current to grant additional replays. It takes more current to drive a larger coil, leaving less for the rest of the game. If something just barely bled away current, it could make it so that the unit was 'stepping', but there wasn't enough power for a full stroke. Wire under the glass? No idea.

5] and cheating from the other side....2-in-blue or 3-in-blue for a fixed 300/600 payout didn't enable very often, yet some operators disabled it. Were they just cheapskates, or can those machines be played to a larger player advantage, and if so, how?

Vertical wins (espcially 4 in a row) can win in multiple colors if before 5th or after 5th lights. I think all of the blue section games with fixed payouts were also OK games, so I figure that played a part in it.

6) there's a few things you can do to the angle of the game, pushing the head against a wall, and blowing cigarette ash into the top of the playfield ... anyone do other things?

I play too straight to know myself (and I've never seen a game on location), but I am also fascinated by player stories. One of my interviews talked about shoring up the front of the game, lessening the incline.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

an operator/bally field tech/bally slot designer would modify all his games so blue scored as 5-in-green.  He could not profitably operate the games with a 300/600 payout without making other mods or disabling the reflex unit to make the screen advance much harder.

Makes perfect sense.

Quoted from baldtwit:

Of course not...who looks for that kind of stuff

Hey...

Quoted from baldtwit:

3] hmm ... maybe a hint. The change I'm thinking about has to do with the way the search relays are mounted.

Way out on a limb here: grommits added to absorb shock when someone thumps the back. Appears to have happened sometime before Bright Spot. Also a slam tilt added near the original mounting position of that bank. Tricksy!

#8 7 years ago

Fishing a wire in would allow you to make contact with multiple switches... using the old style. In fact... it appears that you could thread a single wire in there and make contact with every relay?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

what happens when ya hold it up against the outside of the back door?

Ha!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheating-a-bingo?tu=bingopodcast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.