(Topic ID: 11328)

Cheapest way to transport pins on your own

By Blackbeard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0448.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Guys, I have a chance at a taxi and firepower deal, but the seller lives about 2.5 hours away and i can only stuff one pin in my jeep grand cherokee.

I could drive back and forth twice. I could rent a uhaul. I could harrass a buddy to drive his jeep along with mine.

Any ideas? Gas is expensive!

#2 12 years ago

Rent a dodge caravan from enterprise for one day only. less than $100

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Rent a dodge caravan from enterprise for one day only. less than $100

dont you have to take out seats etc?

#4 12 years ago

U-haul trailers seem like they would be the cheapest option. I rented one to haul my first pinball machine, plus two arcades. I think it was like $30. Although, I was shocked by those damn tolls in IL. With the extra axles the first one was something crazy like $6. I wanted to tell her it wasn't mine.

#5 12 years ago

i was looking at uhaul trailers for my jeep as I have a hitch.

I'd LOVE to get taxi and firepower. I think I could get them for about 1500 total.

#6 12 years ago

I recently picked up a machine in a large Dodge van. It cost me $140 in gas and I could have easily fit another 2 machines in it. I was about 3 hours away.

#7 12 years ago

It worked for me, I removed the balls and added some extra padding. I wasn't sure on the suspension on those things.

#8 12 years ago

U-Haul all the way for more than one pin. I'm not about to try to cram a couple of pins in one vehicle. I would rather have the space to wrap them properly and secure them so they don't move or touch each other during the ride. In fact, next weekend I'll be driving 9 hours (one way) to pick up a pin. It will be riding home in a U-Haul, safe and sound.

#9 12 years ago

Won't that cost a fortune though?!

#10 12 years ago

Be a man, buy a van.

Had a kid, Sold my IS350... got a Kia Minivan and pinballs.

I can fit 2 pins no problem.

#11 12 years ago

I rent enclosed 5x8 trailers from uhaul all the time for a reasonable price. Heck i rented a 5x8 in colorado at the showdown, brought home 3 machines, uhaul gave me the trailer for 4 days , one way, for $86. I would rent a trailer

At least until I bit the bullet and bought my own trailer. But you can rent a hell of a lot at 40 a pop to pay for a trailer. But when I bought my motorcycle and my kids have four wheeler we use it all the time now, so we just bought one off cl for $1000

#12 12 years ago

The enclosed trailer is what I'm looking at. Do the pins hop around too much in the trailer though??

#13 12 years ago

2006 Dodge Dakota , no camper shell
    Hauls THREE pinball machines in the same run, gotta love it..

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from PaulyB18:

Had a kid, Sold my IS350... got a Kia Minivan and pinballs.

He made me watch a DVD about his IS350. I'm still waiting for the screening on the Kia..

In all seriousness.. I checked uhaul rates from Madison to Green Bay (roughly about the same 2hr trek you've mentioned), and it rates about $65 for a 4x8 trailer. That's really not too bad... the van isn't a bad idea, but the trailer seems like it'd be cheaper. Plus, you don't have to worry about filling it with gas at the end of the trip.

I'd go with the trailer and see if you can't bring em BOTH back for about 1425.. that would cover your trailer and most of the gas, you might pay about $15 more than you were hoping by the time you get home.

#15 12 years ago

That's what I'm gonna try. I wonder about tying them down inside the trailer. I would think it would be bumpy.

#16 12 years ago

Sell your Jeep and buy an F150

#17 12 years ago

Love the jeep.

#18 12 years ago

Get a ute and pretend your an Aussie

#19 12 years ago

I wouldn't go with the U haul trailer...too much bounce in the back...

#20 12 years ago

I did the enclosed uhaul for a four hour highway drive and it worked like a charm and cost 20 bucks. Pad it with blankets. If you are on smooth roads the suspension difference isn't so much that it's an issue.

#21 12 years ago

I use a Subaru Legacy And A Subaru Forester and it works great!

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

That's what I'm gonna try. I wonder about tying them down inside the trailer. I would think it would be bumpy.

I've done this many times. Remove the legs from the machine (can't flip over that way). Set the machine on a cheap Walmart closed-cell foam pool float (typically longer and wider than a pin and about 3" thick). Wrap blankets around the pin. Place folded cardboard box pieces on the corners of the bottom cabinet. Tie off pins using cinch-straps in an X pattern, keeping the pin inside one side of the X, making sure the straps route across the cardboard and not on the cabinet wood. If transporting a pin that has a folding backbox, I use some closed-cell foam pipe insulation (already split) and place it around the front edges of the backbox before I fold it down. That way the backbox doesn't rub against the side rails on the base cabinet.

#23 12 years ago

Ask a friend to follow you..

#24 12 years ago

What if you seperate the backbox/head from the lower cabinet of each machine, would they fit in your existing vehicle then? Ie, but the lowers cabs in the back and one of the backboxes in the front seat or something? Otherwise yeah some kind of rental trailer/van/truck, or have a friend follow you in another truck. Going back and forth twice will take too much time and driving.

#25 12 years ago

Harass buddy....if that doesn't work rent an SUV.Those Uhaul things,boxes,whatever, suck.You'll be bouncing your new games home.Nice Chevy suburban would fit both games.How do I know?That's how I roll.Scott

#26 12 years ago

or instruct a courier.

Simple.

#27 12 years ago

Silverado?

#28 12 years ago

Rent the U-haul. What kind of ride do you think they would get if shipped by NAVL on a pallet? Those trucks don't ride like a Rolls. Strap 'em down and haul 'em home!

#29 12 years ago

I bugged a friend who also owns a jeep like mine (fits one pin). I offered to fill gas etc. It's a 2.5 hours drive one way. This friend likes to play my pins, but wasn't too keen on driving out with me.

I'm installing a coin mech for him now.

The cheapest way I see is the Uhaul enclosed trailer. My only issue would be strapping down a pin inside it to avoid a bumpy ride. It's all highway, but still...

#30 12 years ago

This guy has the right idea:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150186803030984&l=e9dfad6ad9

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150186803085984&l=c220a46b50

I figure if it's good enough for all those games, should be good enough for me!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Rent the U-haul. What kind of ride do you think they would get if shipped by NAVL on a pallet? Those trucks don't ride like a Rolls. Strap 'em down and haul 'em home!

+1 You have a point there. Not to mention if you have a Pin in the back of a pickup truck is the bounce really going to be that much less?...really?
    U-Haul trailers here with insurance and all day (I have never checked for more than one day) is $38 out the door. Well worth the money. Good luck.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

+1

#33 12 years ago

Suspension on a trailer is fairly stiff, the more weight you add the better, thats why I bough 3

But seriously, it can be bouncy, but I had no issues. Just buy some straps and strapem down. Once I had to bring a screw gun, and screw tie down points to the floor. I have a Rubbermaid box with ties downs, screws, washers, and d-rings. That way no matter what happens I am covered.

I have an f150 but rain or snow.....I just rented a trailer, works great

#34 12 years ago

Fold up both machines. Put one inside the Jeep and one on the roof of the Jeep.

If your gonna upgrade, I recommend ditching the F150 idea and go BIG. F350 SuperDuty CrewCab Longbed Turbo Diesel with liftgate. And trailer incase it rains. You can haul way more pins this way ;-> IMAG0448.jpgIMAG0448.jpg

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

+1 on that idea

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheapest-way-to-transport-pins-on-your-own?tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.