(Topic ID: 143153)

Cheapest A-lister to build from scratch?

By JosephT

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hello all, just goofing around on Pinball Arcade and wondering what the cheapest "A" game would be that could be built from scratch?

This is inspired by the awesome work I've seen from a local guy (Wallybgood) who did the MM.

I would love to do an AFM from the ground up but was playing a little Pinball Arcade and thought maybe Scared Stiff was very do-able. Playfields seem to be available but a problem I can foresee would be trying to do the Spider back glass (haven't begun researching).

Would love to hear some input as to what you guys think would be feasible. Parts availability being one of the biggest hurdles.

#2 8 years ago

I agree with you , I think it would be AFM; , based on the simplicity of the playfield, the availability of used and/or new parts, nothing really complicated. It would also be more rewarding due to the value on used market for a fully working game.

The key items in the planning will be to figure out how to acquire a playfield, full set of plastics and cabinet decals (and other unique items). Are there any AFM "un-obtainables?"

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from BestShot31:

Are there any AFM "un-obtainables?"

Most parts are available including a bulk of the ball guides, mechs and the lightboards. Cost is the limiting factor. You can get a decent base afm for the high 5's. After restoring it, I would guess you would still be cheaper than building ala carte.

#4 8 years ago

The problem with building from scratch is that certain parts will be unobtainable unless you find a partially populated playfield. For MM isn't the problem the ball guides? I would imagine afm shares a similar problem.

#5 8 years ago

Cliffy has been sent all the ball guide CAD drawings for MM and AFM, so he can cut more of them at any time.

Have him cut it from #8 mirror stainless for the ultimate look.

#6 8 years ago

Are you doing this just because you're bored? I think in the end it would be cheaper just to buy an attack from Mars for example. Friend of mine just sold a really nice one for $6500. I'm not sure you could build one for much less than that, not including your time. Now if you're just bored, that's a different story...

It made sense to to build a cactus canyon for example, because at a production over about 900 units, that's a fairly rare game. Attack from Mars and medieval they made a lot of. It doesn't seem to make as much sense.

#7 8 years ago

Gottliebs super soccer. I would think that would be the easiest to build from scratch.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from JosephT:

Hello all, just goofing around on Pinball Arcade and wondering what the cheapest "A" game would be that could be built from scratch?

all of them will cost you 6-8k in parts easy without labor...just wait for pps or buy original unless the experience is what your goal is--there's no savings. Cactus Canyon thread and the total cost was: "Honestly, I stopped keeping receipts after I hit about $8k"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-homebrew-cactus-canyon

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheapest-a-lister-to-build-from-scratch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.