Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Prodigal1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1686184500496941631468639353445 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191130_113414633 (resized).jpg
    30E3BDF7-7CF5-45A8-86FE-6057A2315D12 (resized).jpeg
    12D807E8-F33A-41D9-9EF9-E9FF2FD9AF34 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    0008520113 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

What's the best, cheapest tool for removing the .100 and .156 trifurcon pins from a molex connector? I know best and cheapest don't always go hand in hand, but let's start with $15 and under, if possible. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Round ones ? Hardware store or hobby shop. Piece of brass tube. Get one that just slips over, shove down, pull out.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I don't think they are the round ones. This is the type:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5822-09076-00

Also, the .100 size ones.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I don't think they are the round ones. This is the type:

Small jewelers screw driver. Push the tab on the back in, and pull up on the pin from the wire or top where wire goes with a small needle nose pliers.

#5 4 years ago

I used a screw driver like Lloyd mentioned, otherwise a small craftsman pick set worked great to push the tab and pull, then I repinned

#6 4 years ago

Thanks! Having never done this, on what side do you insert it? The side with the little window that you can see the metal through, or the other side? I’m guessing the other side?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

The side with the little window that you can see the metal through,

That side. You can see the metal tab you push in, inside the little window.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

The side with the little window that you can see the metal through

Red arrow points to the tab you push in.

0008520113 (resized).jpg0008520113 (resized).jpg
    #9 4 years ago

Got it. Thanks again!

#10 4 years ago

Use a laydown sockets metal mounting tab and push that into the .156 slots to release. For .100 use the plastic tabs for keying and push them in the slots to release the pins.

#11 4 years ago

Plastic tabs from another .100 connector.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball41:

Plastic tabs from another .100 connector.

I’m not sure I’m following. I thought they were all metal.

#13 4 years ago

An xacto knife works great to push the tab in and push the connector out (while gently pulling on the wire).

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Small jewelers screw driver. Push the tab on the back in, and pull up on the pin from the wire or top where wire goes with a small needle nose pliers.

Pretty much what I used although mine was from an electronic tool set. Worked great though.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

An xacto knife works great to push the tab in and push the connector out (while gently pulling on the wire).

Though I imagine that you have to mind your fingers. For some reason, I have a knack for cutting into my fingertips, sometimes requiring stitches. I’m getting a little tired of it.

#16 4 years ago

Oops it was a husky brand pick. Tiny to get in and a pick end the push down and help get the connector out

I used this for .1 and .156

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #17 4 years ago

Dental (metal) pick works well also.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

What's the best, cheapest tool for removing the .100 and .156 trifurcon pins from a molex connector? I know best and cheapest don't always go hand in hand, but let's start with $15 and under, if possible. Thanks!

small flat blade driver. One that just fits in the channel to push the locking tab down nicely. A sharp tip too can be harder to get on the locking tab

My Hakko guns came with a push wand with a flat blade tip to clear clogs, I use one of those often too... Really I use the first flat blade tiny driver I find on the bench or whatever is close by.

Probably a specific made tool for the job but not really needed.

#19 4 years ago

I just realized that I probably meant to order standard crimp terminals and not the trifurcon ones. Can someone explain the difference and whether they are interchangeable?

#20 4 years ago

Trifurcon are the way to go. More surface contact and better conductivity.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Trifurcon are the way to go. More surface contact and better conductivity.

Thanks. So, both types fit equally well? One just has better contact and conductivity, is that right?

#22 4 years ago

Correct. Both fit the connectors, but trifurcon are superior.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Though I imagine that you have to mind your fingers. For some reason, I have a knack for cutting into my fingertips, sometimes requiring stitches. I’m getting a little tired of it.

I imagine that a small screwdriver is safer than something sharper and has better contact on the tab you need to depress. Knives are designed to cut.

#24 4 years ago

A trifurcon adds arms so it holds the pin 3 connectivity ways. The standard pin is just the spring side. Here’s pics

12D807E8-F33A-41D9-9EF9-E9FF2FD9AF34 (resized).jpeg12D807E8-F33A-41D9-9EF9-E9FF2FD9AF34 (resized).jpeg30E3BDF7-7CF5-45A8-86FE-6057A2315D12 (resized).jpeg30E3BDF7-7CF5-45A8-86FE-6057A2315D12 (resized).jpeg
    #25 4 years ago

I made one for myself out of a spare blade I found I never touched from a lock pick set. I used the Dremel or bench grinder to trim til it fit.

IMG_20191130_113414633 (resized).jpgIMG_20191130_113414633 (resized).jpg
    #26 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I made one for myself out of a spare blade I found I never touched from a lock pick set. I used the Dremel or bench grinder to trim til it fit.[quoted image]

Nice! I actually have a lock pick set. I’ll check them out.

#27 4 years ago

Don't use trifurcon on Bally display connectors, they become impossible to pull off. I remember from way back when that trifurcons are for high vibration and that they don't necessarily provide the ability to handle more current (which seems counter intuitive since they do have more mating contact surfaces).

I keep both types around and usually just use the trifurcons on the rectifier board.

3 years later
    1 week later
    #29 10 months ago

No disrespect Pinball Scientist, but i found something that works rather well for me... a SIM card eject tool. They usually come with new cellphones. You could add a handle to make it more user friendly, but I have been able to extract 0.156 Gottlieb card edge connector pins with just the tool. They can be purchased in bulk, and individually re-sold for reasonable price, Pinball Scientist! I used a grinder to make similar tools, but they don't last long. These are stainless steel, and heat treated for strength.

1686184500496941631468639353445 (resized).jpg1686184500496941631468639353445 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-tool-for-removing-molex-100-and-156-pins?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.