Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

So the Cheap Squeak board is popping the 4A fuse on my Fireball Classic. This is a bummer because the sound package is one of the best parts of this game.

The problem is definitely on the sound board because when I disconnect the board and replace the fuse, the game plays fine (without sound, of course). I replaced the 4A fuse with a 5A fuse, because that's what I had, and a number of the components start to smoke, but the fuse won't blow. Interesting data point, but I don't recommend it.

I have replaced a number of the caps (C4, C24, C29, C30), diodes (D6, D7, D8) and U9 transistor, but no luck yet. Still pops the fuse.

I see on another thread here, for Spy Hunter, that the 6803 was ultimately replaced as a part of the fix.

Can anyone offer any advice here. Will this do it or am I going down the wrong path.

Thanks!

#2 5 months ago

Take a look at the tantalum caps, C10, C17, C22. These often fail and short out the 12 volt rail.

#3 5 months ago

Will do. Thank you.

#4 5 months ago

The tantalum capacitors across the unregulated 12v are pretty much always bad on this board. The unreg 12v swings too close to the 25v rating of the tantalums. The 12v is also not current limited besides a 4a fuse which you are lucky is blowing instead of the tantalum itself exploding into a fireball.

Use 10uF 35v+ electrolytic caps as a replacement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
West Plains, MO
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside