(Topic ID: 89146)

Cheap repair for flipper button cabinet wear.

By mcclad

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

009-999.JPG
    002.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

I am in the process of working on a BSD pinball machine and there was quite a bit of wear around the flipper buttons. I was not ready to do a full restore on the cabinet, (because it is not all that bad,) but I wanted the area to look better and be fairly inexpensive. I bought a roll of "carbon fiber" vinyl adhesive at the local auto parts store, and then cut it to size to cover the wear spots. I then removed the old flipper buttons. I laid the adhesive section under the side rail and right up against the front edge of the cabinet. Once it was stuck in place I pressed down where the flipper button would be. With the depression in the vinyl I was able to see where the flipper button hole was. I cut out the area with an xacto knife. The hole did not have to be perfect because the flipper button will overlap and cover any imperfections. I installed a translucent flipper button and lit it with an LED. The whole process of cutting the plastic and installing it was only a few minutes. And it is easily removable when and if I decide to paint the cab. It might not look good on a machine where it would have obstructed the graphics on the side, but on a Dracula, I am only covering black. If anyone was interested I have a whole roll of the material that I could cut to size and sell for a few dollars for the pieces, including shipping. It was really a quick and easy fix. At least now my machine looks a little bit better without a lot of effort.

#2 9 years ago

Couple of pictures before and after.002.JPG002.JPG009-999.JPG009-999.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Looks good!

#4 9 years ago

Looks pretty damn good to me.

#6 9 years ago

holy cow....that game has seen some play

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-repair-for-flipper-button-cabinet-wear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.