Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFixin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tpsw0SyC (resized).jpeg
    2019-04-22 14.50.17 (resized).jpg
    received_2111066665645449 (resized).jpeg
    DSC08174 (resized).JPG
    DSC08172 (resized).JPG
    DSC08171 (resized).JPG
    DC-DC-8-32V-To-45-390V-High-Voltage-Boost-Converter-ZVS-Step-up-Booster-Module.jpg_640x640.jpg
    2019-02-08 10.04.09 (resized).jpg
    20190201_164453 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0212 (resized).jpg
    20190131_013232 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-28 16.40.15 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-28 16.40.03 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gianfri.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

Hello,

somebody calling me from here in order to jump from sofa to PC

Few answers, as said by Wayne, my tester doesn't force any segment or digit at any moment therefore no risk to damage either LED or Plasma display because it's compatible with all aftermarket LED displays, even the ones with low resistance.

Last weekend I decided to get rid of a pile of old zaccaria damaged displays and I used my tester to test them and detect was was wrong.
    In few hours I tested more or less 30 displays and recovered/repaired something between 10 and 15 of them.

the testing goes so quick when you know what to look for that you really save a bunch of time.
    On bally is even easier because you only have one IC and in most of the cases if you have no data it's the 4543 to be replaced otherwise it's the plasma display itself or some transistors when segments/digits missing.

Now coming to the main question, unfortunately I cannot tell you how reliable are those boards on Ebay/Internet because "shame on me" I never had time to test them, I even have one waiting on the desk since more than one year. Maybe I'll test it soon... but do not forget that you need quite poverfull power supply in order to step up from 20v to 200v

So you would wonder how do I test them?
    I have two test benches for Zaccaria and therefore I have the Zaccaria power boards which provide me with the 170v current needed for both Zaccaria and Bally.

Now let me be honest with all of you, some of you know how much time we can spend in inventing/developing some test boards (Wayne???) and how few of them are sold around and that's one of the reasons why I never wanted to invest more in finding an external power source for HV, just because I have literally no more free time for this and the hours I would need for it wouldn't be paid off by sales.

Last thing, since Cheddar just came up with this topic and the shipping fees, I'm happy to give a 10$ discount off the shipping fees for the ones here who want to get one tester V2, but this will require some delay in shipping as I won't be able to ship them before Monday the 11th of February.
    You can PM me in case of interest.

That's all for the moment, hope I could answer some of your questions.
    Gianfri

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Good enough for me. I'll send a pm to order a tester and I'll order up one of the nixie power supplies and let everyone know what the results are.
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

Fantastic, I don't hide the fact that a feedback on those steppers would be really apreciated.

gianfri

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I wonder how long the tester will take to get here from Ottignies-louvain-la-neuve?

Normally 7 working day starting from today

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

That's surprisingly quick. What carrier is used? In the US it's $10-15 just to ship a 3oz package out of the country.. rates jump pretty quick as the weight goes up... $20, $30, $50... On the positive side, packages do reach the destination countries quicker than before 2014.. used to take 2-3 weeks or more for First Class International.
    Hope you sell a lot more of these Gianfri! Test equipment needs some more love/sales. It's nice that some people make this stuff available even though some of it only sells a handful of units a year. I think being able to make a few suggestions on a power supply like Cheddar is trying out will help it sell too.

Well, logistic is quite a mess over here.
    In Europe we have different postal services for each country and different tariffs too.

I'm therefore obliged to juggle (is it the correct word?) from one service to another in order to find the correct option for national, international, intercontinental shippings.
    Shipping to France doesn't cost the same as shipping to Germany nor Italy or UK.
    Then you have USA, Canada and Australia where each one has different tariffs too and different delays.

Australia it's quite long to deliver, Canada is ok unless they decide to go on strike like in December, two customers were waiting for more than one month to get a parcel.
    US is ok, in general it takes one week as I said, I can follow the tracking and it's more or less like that.

So to answer the question, for Intercontinental I only use National postal services around Europe depending on size, weight and destination

And yes, I have been informed that USPS has increased the postal fees over there which is not a good thing.

#26 5 years ago

It works!
    Thanks Cheddar!!!
    You motivated me and tonight I tested my voltage stepper which was sleeping on my shelves since ages.

12V regulated to 165V

here it is:

In the picture you have a defective display with 4 working digits.

Now good night from Europe!

20190131_013232 (resized).jpg20190131_013232 (resized).jpg
    #31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

This thing? ebay.com link » Dc Dc 10 32v To 45 390v High Voltage Boost Converter Step Up Booster Module Hv
    Crap I would have bought that one for the price. Although if the Nixie board works it can almost be mounted on the tester.
    Edit: only 20ma. So my board at ~50ma should work fine.

Yes, that's the one

Thanks Dayton for your picture, looks nice and of course it perfectly fits the US market!

#32 5 years ago

Additional test with Bally 7D display

20190201_164453 (resized).jpg20190201_164453 (resized).jpg

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

I need to get one of these now!

If you talk about the stepper then -> ebay
    If you talk about the tester then -> PM

1 week later
    #36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

tester is due for delivery today

Yes, I got the notification!
    7 working days was respected

2 months later
    #56 4 years ago

Hi guys,

I would avoid using 200VDC as they are normally working with 170-180VDC

I think also che some glasses are getting old enough and this could also indicate that they are getting tired and cause those effects.

Thanks anyway for feedback.
    Gianfri

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Not sure I get why a tester is needed for these plasma displays. For a sound board or SDB I get it. Why not just plug into a working game and run the display test? I have done it this way for hundreds of displays. Never needed another tester.

I think you have already got the answers but in general, with any kind of tester like this one:

- you don't need to have an alive machine to test one or more displays;
    - you can confortably sit in front of your test bench and do test + repair without standing up and down to go back to the machine;
    - in case of nasty short or damages you avoid killing you working machine;
    - when reparing a display you need to switch it on several times before having it good, this means connectiong it to the pinball machine as many times as;
    - this tester runs a series of tests which are intended to confirm that all digits and segments are ok, in a normal machine you have to power on, wait, move to tests program, etc etc.;
    - this tester goes straight to the point.

Now, before having it, I was doing exactly like you said, but I was tired of using my machines as test benches, keeping them constantly open and looking hugly.

Getting your feedbacks and positive comments makes me really proud because it looks like I produced something really useful not only for myself.

#63 4 years ago

Hi Bob,

I'm assembling the new testers after my Easter holidays, I'll ship it to you in the next days.

Regards
    Gianfri

1 week later
    #70 4 years ago

Hello all,

I think you can find several models with several budgets.

this is working in my bench and it's quite cheap:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-DC-8-32V-To-45-390V-High-Voltage-Boost-Converter-ZVS-Step-up-Booster-Module/32900346733.html

2 weeks later
    #72 4 years ago

Thanks man!

Having people happy makes me happy.
    It's a nice feeling when you realize that something you have produced is finally helpful for the others.

Thanks for your feedback and have fun!
    Gianfri

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gianfri.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-power-for-bally-stern-displays-will-this-work?tu=gianfri and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.