Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinFixin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tpsw0SyC (resized).jpeg
    2019-04-22 14.50.17 (resized).jpg
    received_2111066665645449 (resized).jpeg
    DSC08174 (resized).JPG
    DSC08172 (resized).JPG
    DSC08171 (resized).JPG
    DC-DC-8-32V-To-45-390V-High-Voltage-Boost-Converter-ZVS-Step-up-Booster-Module.jpg_640x640.jpg
    2019-02-08 10.04.09 (resized).jpg
    20190201_164453 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0212 (resized).jpg
    20190131_013232 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-28 16.40.15 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-28 16.40.03 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

Exercise caution with what you do here..

I'm guessing you'd like to see if you can fake signals at the .156 header for the plasma displays, as I described in the Pinitech RETROFIT instructions.

As already mentioned, the original plasma displays were engineered with the multiplexing design of the displays in-mind. It may cause damage to attempt locking on a digit with constant current, without any multiplexing happening. Any homebrew or aftermarket display testers should probably follow a similar multiplexing rate as the machines are doing, to avoid any unintentional over-current conditions on plasma / LED displays. Even just in regard to aftermarket LED displays, there's a few using low ohm value resistors on the segments that at FULL BRIGHTNESS are then *fully* dependent on the multiplexing of the machines to be within safe operational limits of pulsed current to the LEDs. Signals faked at the bench and displays at full brightness would damage the LED segments on some of these displays within seconds... burning them out completely or damaging them to the point they only light dimly.

The LED displays I sell were all designed to not drive the LEDs so hard, which is why on my displays you can fake signals at the bench to lock on a digit continuously for testing purposes. Won't work on some other aftermarket LED displays and I'd imagine plasma displays would be in a similar boat of being damaged without multiplexing happening.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

OK this is some good advice here and I'll take it. If I was to grab the pinballcentereu tester could it be driven by the power supplies I mention above?

Not sure, I haven't actually attempted this myself to know what the minimum recommendations would be for a power supply. I'd imagine Gianfri / Pinball Solutions could make a suggestion and/or comment on what you've selected there since his tester was intended for use with plasma displays. Might also want to ask if the multiplexing is happening at a similar rate as the original machines while you're at it. Regardless, at least his tester is doing multiplexing in some form and will be safer than sending constant locked-on current to the display.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

They make some pretty cool clocks out of them.

Yep, most of what I've seen people using them for nowadays are novelty desk clocks.

#17 5 years ago

Support these test/diagnostic tools while you can! Many of them go the way of the dodo bird because sales are very low & dwindle to the point of only a few units selling a year at some point. Very difficult then the next time a PCB or material order is needed to take the plunge on ordering more parts in, unless you've got enough people committed to a new batch. Ask me how I know

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from gianfri:

Normally 7 working day starting from today

That's surprisingly quick. What carrier is used? In the US it's $10-15 just to ship a 3oz package out of the country.. rates jump pretty quick as the weight goes up... $20, $30, $50... On the positive side, packages do reach the destination countries quicker than before 2014.. used to take 2-3 weeks or more for First Class International.

Hope you sell a lot more of these Gianfri! Test equipment needs some more love/sales. It's nice that some people make this stuff available even though some of it only sells a handful of units a year. I think being able to make a few suggestions on a power supply like Cheddar is trying out will help it sell too.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from gianfri:

It works!
    Thanks Cheddar!!!
    You motivated me and tonight I tested my voltage stepper which was sleeping on my shelves since ages.
    12V regulated to 165V
    here it is:
    In the picture you have a defective display with 4 working digits.
    Now good night from Europe!
    [quoted image]

Sweet that looks like the same voltage stepper i bought! I tested it could adjust to 180v but never hooked it up to a plasma because i wanted to drive it multiplexed.

1 week later
    #39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Got the tester today with a lovely assortment of stamps. In exactly 7 business day. I put a .156 header pair on mine as I'm hoping to just mount the nixie board on it.
    Initial test with a known "needing repair" board worked as expected

Cool! When you get a display fully working, I'm interested in hearing if the digits seem to light brighter than when installed in a game or if they look about the same. From the videos I've seen, it kind of looks like when in single digit testing mode, the digit lights brighter than when it's multiple digits being lit?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-power-for-bally-stern-displays-will-this-work?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.