Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg
blahblahblah.jpg
khan.jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I'm not saying it isn't fun, it is. But I seem to remember reading an interview somewhere that AFM was indeed meant to be a low build-cost game. The saucers are just a cheap mold with a flasher dome in the middle. The Martians are basically just a coil and a plunger which were used in Elvira and SS. The 3bank target was used in BK2K. It had all stand up targets and an open fan layout with two flippers that isn't cluttered with useless shots put there to just fill a space. IMO, it was the humor and great theme and art package with an easy to understand ruleset that made it a winner.

... and the 3 bank targets on BK2K are just a cut down version of the visor targets on Pin*Bot. The alien targets still have controlled solenoids that easily could have been just figures mounted on a spring bracket. Lots of features on some pins are "Borrowed" or re-purposed on other machines. That doesn't make a game necessarily cheap.

#52 8 years ago

I think stationary targets get a bad rap. They add a lot of action to games, and sometimes they help you make a shot. I love it in Congo when the ball caroms off the stationary targets and goes under the volcano to lock a ball.

#53 8 years ago

Anyone who shit talks AFM's rules isn't thinking very hard. It hits the sweet spot for what makes a game great because there are multiple layers for different skill levels.

Level 1, the casual walk-up, is serviced by the immediate gratification of the centre bank shot, the bucking saucer and the jumping Martians. Default rules means multiball is basically 2-3 shots away. The humour helps there too. The open playfield doesn't scare people away with complexity.

Level 2, the the decent player, is serviced by the mini-wizard mode of Total Annihilation, and the multiball stacking. There's also the flipper hold shot from the plunge to the centre to skip the grind of the target bank. Lots of strategy there.

Level 3, the wizard, has the grind of getting Ruler of the Universe. As an average at best player, it took me a *decade* of owning this game to win it. It's not Valinor, but it's not a five minute bash the ball around achievement. And I would put RTU up there with the best animation / light shows when you get it.

AFM appeals to *every player* because of its deceptive simplicity. It wins both on location and the home environment. Other than Eddy's follow-up MM, name another game that does this. TAF? I wouldn't put TAF in the same league, personally.

#54 8 years ago

Thanks for spelling it out. I wasn't gonna bother because the people saying the game sucks obviously don't care anyway.

Not to mention, the addictive, awesome strategy of trying to get total annilation 1 billion, which is a thrill every time.

It's the best game ever made in my opinion but I'll grant there are a small handful of others in the conversation.

I will destroy any idiot who thinks the way to play Afm is shooting up the middle the whole game.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I'm not saying it isn't fun, it is. But I seem to remember reading an interview somewhere that AFM was indeed meant to be a low build-cost game. The saucers are just a cheap mold with a flasher dome in the middle. The Martians are basically just a coil and a plunger which were used in Elvira and SS. The 3bank target was used in BK2K. It had all stand up targets and an open fan layout with two flippers that isn't cluttered with useless shots put there to just fill a space. IMO, it was the humor and great theme and art package with an easy to understand ruleset that made it a winner.

If AFM was a cheap build, it's a shame more games aren't as fleshed out as it is since most features in the game have become premium-only. AFM easily has more "stuff" than many Stern pros, repurposed or not. Games like ST and Metallica stand a fighting chance, games like KISS and and GOT are embarrassingly trim next to AFM.

The molded flashers instead of stock domes make a huge difference, I love them. We'd never see toys like 4 coil-jiggled martians on a pro anymore, that would certainly be an LE feature and we'd probably only get 1. You can't even make Starchild waggle back and forth on a pro, coils cost like $10 man. Not sure how they afforded the strobe light in there, that's certainly an LE-only thing for the limited use it gets! You're telling me you want a motorized target bank, drop target, animated UFO, a scoop, and heaven forbid a ramp diverter on a "low BOM" game? VUKs are a premium feature too now actually, forgot about that.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Lots of features on some pins are "Borrowed" or re-purposed on other machines. That doesn't make a game necessarily cheap.

I didn't say it was cheap, boring or easy. Just that it was intended to be a low build cost game. Compare it to the other games out right before then which were packed to the gills with complex machinery and toys. The mechs on AFM are pretty simple. But, it didn't need any crazy contraptions to make up for a weak ruleset. IMO, they chose the right design team to make a total package which just plain works.

#57 8 years ago

The argument isn't whether or not Stern cheapens their games now. That is a given. It is about the intent 20 years ago. And again, I never said cheap.

#58 8 years ago

It amuses me that this whole thread was nothing more than a troll to defend and pump up that POS Junkyard and we all quickly dispensed with that discussion on moved on to discussing a much better game, AFM.

#59 8 years ago

I actually like Junkyard. I had it in a lineup in my company's lunch room with MB, MM, BK2K and DM and it was the top earner. Go figure.

#60 8 years ago

It seems like something was originally planned to be in the open area beyond spike's dog house / under the bus. Maybe some pop bumpers were originally planned in that area? I would have liked to see what they originally had in mind.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It amuses me that this whole thread was nothing more than a troll to defend and pump up that POS junkyard and we all quickly dispensed with that discussion on moved on to discussing a much better game, AFM.

What does the BOM matter on Junkyard? You don't need a lot of fancy mechs to video mode all day or time out modes all day

#62 8 years ago

I like junk yard too, anyone that says it's a POS might be one themselves.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It amuses me that this whole thread was nothing more than a troll to defend and pump up that POS junkyard and we all quickly dispensed with that discussion on moved on to discussing a much better game, AFM.

What a tool this thread was about all the whiny dumb ass on pinside thank you for making my point

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

What does the BOM matter on junkyard? You don't need a lot of fancy mechs

yea, more parts don't equal a better game, but a stripped down version (comparing a pro to a premium) does. It'd be like saying "Hey, our new car has 6 wheels, your car only has 4, ours is better". "No, your extra 2 wheels just add more rolling resistance, cost, and I have 2 extra tires to replace in the future. 4 wheels have worked out fine for cars for over 100 years".

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

yea, more parts don't equal a better game, but a stripped down version (comparing a pro to a premium) does. It'd be like saying "Hey, our new car has 6 wheels, your car only has 4, ours is better". "No, your extra 2 wheels just add more rolling resistance, cost, and I have 2 extra tires to replace in the future. 4 wheels have worked out fine for cars for over 100 years".

It was a joke about how there isn't much actual pinball in JY if you're trying to get a high score Doesn't matter if you have entirety of WOZ as a mini playfield without the code giving you a compelling reason to go there.

#66 8 years ago

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpgTyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

#67 8 years ago

Junkyard is a fantastic game. The shots aren't too difficult it has cool video modes. Never gets old smashing the crane and pi##ing off crazy Bob! It's also very challenging and not totally impossible to reach the final wizard mode. If space was better utilized in the empty area in the upper right playfield to accommodate small pop bumpers. It could have taken the game to higher ratings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 37.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cheap-cost-cutting-games/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.