Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cottonm4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C8F457E6-A97E-4041-B927-6C2190263C88 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG-20220310-WA0000 (resized).jpg
    truth.gif
    9DDA5EC0-69E8-4635-BA01-3BA39339458B (resized).png
    wtf.gif
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I paid $3.40 per gallon yesterday. It has been awhile since I have seen that price. I think I paid as high a $2.80 per gallon when I was chasing my collection. Those chases included many miles. And I am thinking how much chase would be in me at $3.40 per gallon.

What is your uncle point on gas prices and going after a pin?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What is your uncle point on gas prices and going after a pin?

With the price of pins these days? I don’t think the deciding factor for most will be an extra $50-100 in transport costs, but the fact that the thing you’re hauling has doubled in price over the past few years.

#3 2 years ago

I paid $4.19 for premium (93) and have paid over $3.50 a gallon for months. 10-15 yrs ago I think gas was $5 a gallon. Makes zero difference to me anymore.

#4 2 years ago

It’s the road trip, not the necessarily the the pin that I look forward to. Once drove to Raleigh, NC and didn’t purchase the game. Wasn’t a wasted trip, enjoyed the weekend. I kinda look at them as mini vacations.

#5 2 years ago

Irrelevant to me. Chasing pins isn't my 9 to 5 job.

Its kinda like the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" thing. Are you not gonna buy a $7k game because it's gonna cost $200 to get it home?

#6 2 years ago

I did the math and it’d have to be like $100 a gallon before I would question driving 200 miles for a pin. Even then I probably would.

#7 2 years ago

Shouldn’t make much of a difference. As we watch the price of gas go up a lot of other things are going to go way up including food. It’s not like we can’t eat. I don’t even pay for gas but I’m concerned just as much as anyone else cause the costs WILL get passed on elsewhere.

Actually it will be less painful at the pump than 2008 cause wages were less back then and gas prices were the same then as they are now. It will be much much more painful elsewhere.

#8 2 years ago

Paid 5$ for premium California is robbery

#9 2 years ago

$5 for Premium in my area of SoCal is a steal.

#10 2 years ago

Irrevelant. Diesel truck ; )

Shane

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Irrelevant to me. Chasing pins isn't my 9 to 5 job.
    Its kinda like the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" thing. Are you not gonna buy a $7k game because it's gonna cost $200 to get it home?

Agree. With a $7,000.00 the extra gas expense won't mean much. But what about the old pins in the below $1,000,00 range ( A year ago I would have said $500.00 range ).

Quoted from pinzrfun:

Its kinda like the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" thing.

You sound like you are working for Stern

#12 2 years ago

Been buying premium for 20 years & the Wife's car is the hauler with regular; so cheap!

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Agree. With a $7,000.00 the extra gas expense won't mean much. But what about the old pins in the below $1,000,00 range ( A year ago I would have said $500.00 range ).

I guess it all depends how bad you want the game. I did an 11 hour round trip once for a $350 game (over 10 years ago). No way in hell I would do it today. Not really because of the gas prices, I just wouldnt. But I'm not really in "acquisition" mode any more either, more "opportunity" mode. If I see a deal pop up relatively close and I think its worth a restore/flip I'll take a shot at it. But that's 1 or 2 games a year now.

And I agree with one of the above posts, the trip is part of the fun - usually.

#14 2 years ago

Last week, gas was $3.20/gallon. Yesterday, is was $3.40/gallon. Today, it is $3.80/ gallon.

With what is going on right now, gas could go higher.

At $3.80, I start trying to economize my trips.

What is your "uncle" point?

Does $4.00/ gallon shut you down?

Quoted from xian222:

$5 for Premium in my area of SoCal is a steal.

What about $5.00? Are you staying home more?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Been premium for 20 years...$4 is nothing new! Luckily I don;t have long commutes that of course changes everything.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Last week, gas was $3.20/gallon. Yesterday, is was $3.40/gallon. Today, it is $3.80/ gallon.
    With what is going on right now, gas could go higher.
    At $3.80, I start trying to economize my trips.
    What is your "uncle" point?

What about $5.00? Are you staying home more?

It's $4.00 here already, going up every day. Sucks when you're on SS.

#17 2 years ago

Gas is $4.39 for premium here at the moment. Our pin hauler only takes 87, so it's the cheaper car of the 2...but man $70 to fill up a tank is rough each week. With that said, I'm not buying anything either, so it's just the daily commute for us.

#18 2 years ago

I saw gas at $3.65 here yesterday.

Been working from home for 2 years now, and live 3.5 miles from work so it's not gonna squash us either way.

Looked at the little sticker in the corner of my windshield from the oil change place, it estimated Jan 6 I'd need another change. I still have a couple thousand miles to go.

#19 2 years ago

Anyone think this war and the stock market crashing is gonna stop prices from going up any more

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Been working from home for 2 years now, and live 3.5 miles from work so it's not gonna squash us either way.
    Looked at the little sticker in the corner of my windshield from the oil change place, it estimated Jan 6 I'd need another change. I still have a couple thousand miles to go.

Gas is now 4.25 in nj

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

Anyone think this war and the stock market crashing is gonna stop prices from going up any more

Pin prices or gas prices? Gas prices usually go up when oil producers are at war. Pins seem to go up rain or shine, peace time or war time.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Pin prices or gas prices? Gas prices usually go up when oil producers are at war. Pins seem to go up rain or shine, peace time or war time.

Except for sorcerer

#23 2 years ago

5 bucks at the cheap stations here for 87 reg

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

Except for sorcerer

True, you’d kind of have to expect magical price behavior from a Sorcerer.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

That is a good question. War, in general, is good for business.

But it sounds like gas prices may keep moving up. I had to put my car in the shop and borrow the girlfriend's pick up, that is not noted for stellar gas mileage; I had to fill up yesterday after gas prices moved up to $3.80/gallon. It cost $60.75 to fill up with 1/4 tank of gas still in the tank.

I go buy groceries and I stay home. It's funny. When the pandemic hit and gas dropped to $1.80, I bought groceries and I stayed home.

With the sanctions now being placed on Russia gas, it looks like prices may keep moving up. How high prices have to go before more and more decide to stay home is the question.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That is a good question. War, in general, is good for business.
    But it sounds like gas prices may keep moving up. I had to put my car in the shop and borrow the girlfriend's pick up, that is not noted for stellar gas mileage; I had to fill up yesterday after gas prices moved up to $3.80/gallon. It cost $60.75 to fill up with 1/4 tank of gas still in the tank.
    I go buy groceries and I stay home. It's funny. When the pandemic hit and gas dropped to $1.80, I bought groceries and I stayed home.
    With the sanctions now being placed on Russia gas, it looks like prices may keep moving up. How high prices have to go before more and more decide to stay home is the question.

Great points .. if we all go into our basements and not leave the house we will need pins to keep us busy for sure ..

#27 2 years ago

I'm surprised our friends across the pond have not weighed in. Gas prices in the EU have always been much higher. They don't feel bad for us!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

I'm surprised our friends across the pond have not weighed in. Gas prices in the EU have always been much higher. They don't feel bad for us!

But their drives are much shorter

#29 2 years ago

The problem with chasing out of state pins with gas prices this high is that “You overload your inventory and blow your margins on gasoline”

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

the fact that the thing you’re hauling has doubled in price over the past few years

this.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Update from 5 days ago, $4.45 now

#32 2 years ago

As long as people clear out the shelves of $10k pinball machines, gas is still waayyyy too cheap.

Big oil is leaving money on the table.

Why not charge $300/fill up while people have so much disposable money?

#33 2 years ago

$5.39 here for regular.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

As long as people clear out the shelves of $10k pinball machines, gas is still waayyyy too cheap.
    Big oil is leaving money on the table.
    Why not charge $300/fill up while people have so much disposable money?

wtf.gifwtf.gif
    #35 2 years ago

It was not meant to be totally silly. People in general seem to be oozing money left and right hence everything gets more and more expensive. There is demand for everything and this web site is a great example.
    Why should gas be cheap, if there is enough demand to support higher prices while people have enough money? It’s like the market on this site. People know what their items are worth and so do the oil companies.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Why should gas be cheap

Why should it cost this much? It didn't a year ago.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Why should it cost this much? It didn't a year ago.

Because of demand. As long as people buy it, it’s not too expensive.

I’m not sure why gas should be exempt from supply/demand pricing?!

#39 2 years ago

I drove 100 miles last night to get to the nearest $3.59 gas station, won't catch me paying $4.09

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Much more than just demand, and that's all that I can say.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

I drove 100 miles last night to get to the nearest $3.59 gas station, won't catch me paying $4.09

Please tell me this is sarcasm, or that you drove something that gets ~40mpg with a 20gal tank.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:Much more than just demand, and that's all that I can say.

Nicely played . We all know the real reason, but if you post it, your post will be moderated /deleted !

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Please tell me this is sarcasm, or that you drove something that gets ~40mpg with a 20gal tank.

9DDA5EC0-69E8-4635-BA01-3BA39339458B (resized).png9DDA5EC0-69E8-4635-BA01-3BA39339458B (resized).png
    #44 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

I don’t think our demand has gone up, I think something bad has happened to our supply

#45 2 years ago

I just did a quick calculation from liters to gallons and euro to dollar. And when i look at the gas price today here in holland we are at 10,70 usd per gallon. So the american prices are not that bad compared to here.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Nicely played . We all know the real reason, but if you post it, your post will be moderated /deleted !

whats the REAL REASON.I say greed what are you implying Politics .

#47 2 years ago

Well I'd hope. But I've known *more than one person* who made a point use a station some 30 mins / 20 miles away, years back when the difference was 15-20 cents at best. The math never worked out, nevermind time value, but they insisted. Given enough of them, well here we are.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

whats the REAL REASON.I say greed what are you implying Politics .

truth.giftruth.gif
    #49 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

[quoted image]

not The Q version anyway

#50 2 years ago

The price of energy is baked into everything we buy. The great recession in the 2007/2008 was not set off buy the housing/mortgage fiasco rather high energy costs eventually exposed this weakness.

The cost of chasing pins or the cost of your daily commute is the least important result of higher gas prices. It will start at the grocery store and everything else that needs to be shipped anywhere (most everything?) then escalate from there. The real problem is that we have no room for any inflationary pressures right now, we are already at a breaking point.

I'm an optimistic person -- but increased energy prices almost always leads to a recession and the worst kind, recession with increasing inflation.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chasing-pins-and-gas-prices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.