• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mrm_4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi folks!
I'm working on a Bally Xenon for a gentleman and I've got it just about buttoned up, for 30 minutes at least after about 30 minutes, the displays all start flickering (the dreaded strobe problem). Somewhere around this same time, if you're in the middle of a game, the mpu will crash.

If you turn it off and immediately back on, the board will not boot, you get the flicker but don't get the first flash. It's definitely heat related, if you let the backbox cool off a little bit it will boot right up and the displays work fine.

Sound is fine, switches are fine, solenoids are fine. When the MPU crashes, you basically lose the displays and the switches, but the flippers are still active.

Board has a new power supply, replaced connectors, solenoid board has been rebuilt, voltages all test fine after the crash and before (they don't change)... new connectors on the MPU, have swapped U9,10,11... replaced the 555 timer, replaced C16 (to the timer)..... no battery damage....

Next step i'm going to replace U20 although I can see that messing up the displays I don't think it would crash the board. Since you don't get the first flash after it crashes, i'm thinking maybe reburn the roms too. Might possibly be sockets which would be nearly impossible to figure out because they're fine when cool!

Any ideas? I've seen this before when the board won't boot but never with a heat related issue...

#2 1 year ago

Appears to have been the U6 rom. Pulled it and it verified, I had already cleaned it.... burnt a new one, game doesn't act up anymore. I guess the clue was the no 1st flash which is what checks the roms, and that would explain why it crashes too during gameplay after it heats up. The displays were just another symptom....

#3 1 year ago

AMI brand by chance?

#4 1 year ago

Roms were never AMI on early Bally games.

#5 1 year ago

Common problem now with programmers that use short program pulses with these old 2716/2732 EPROMs. You need to set your programmer to slowest speed mode (and double write if its a GQ-4X) so the EPROM gets a deep write cycle.
A shallow write cycle results in intended low (0) bits being too close to the threshold and once the 5V rail in the game starts to rise those bits start returning as high (1).

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Common problem now with programmers that use short program pulses with these old 2716/2732 EPROMs. You need to set your programmer to slowest speed mode (and double write if its a GQ-4X) so the EPROM gets a deep write cycle.
A shallow write cycle results in intended low (0) bits being too close to the threshold and once the 5V rail in the game starts to rise those bits start returning as high (1).

Doesn't help that a lot of the newer programmers may not use a high enough voltage to properly program a chip that wants 21V or 25V during programming

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Appears to have been the U6 rom. Pulled it and it verified, I had already cleaned it.... burnt a new one, game doesn't act up anymore. I guess the clue was the no 1st flash which is what checks the roms, and that would explain why it crashes too during gameplay after it heats up. The displays were just another symptom....

Is this going to be in one of your video series? Id love to see you and Joe tear into a Xenon!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chasing-down-a-bear-of-an-issue-on-a-bally-xenon-mpu?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.